“Comfortable and convenient”

Ranked #79 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Wollongong, Australia
“Comfortable and convenient”
Reviewed 1 February 2011

It's strange how peoples' opinions vary so radically. I guess it all depends on which staff members are rostered on which days, how busy they are and whether they're in a good mood or not. We were here for three days in January and our experiences at this hotel were quite pleasant. The staff were generally quite helpful and spoke reasonable English. The hotel is very central to everything - shops, restaurants and points of interest - we were basically able to walk everywhere (Prague is a very pretty city). The dinner menu was exellent but the breakfasts were pretty ordinary. On one particular night, the waiter we had for dinner was also the barman and he made a great cappucino!!
And two duvets, great idea!!
I have two complaints - firstly, smoking in the lobby made it unpleasant each time we came in and out and secondly, as we walked up the road to the main centre of town, there was a foul smell which I'm convinced came from a burst sewer pipe.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Larisa, Greece
Reviewed 30 December 2010

I was in Prague during Christmas 2010 and we spend 4 nights at Grand Majestic Hotel near Old Town. The location is very nice and you can find everything in 15 minutes walking distance.
Only the breakfast was poor and the same every day. Morover they served us for breakfast some food that remained from the Christmas dinner.

• Stayed December 2010
limassol
Reviewed 30 December 2010

i was in grand majestic hotel for christmas with my wife.the people who work there only the 2%of them are polite and speak english.the other 98%where so rude and they were not even answering to u if u would ask them something.but my worst was when the receptionist decided and said to me that she dont want to talk to me anymore.why?in all the hotel was no sign for smoking or no smokin areas.all people were smoking in the lobby wich was 1 meter from the receptionist.im a smoker too and i went to the reception to ask something and the good polite 4 star hotel reception decided to say to me that until i throw my cigarrete away she dont talk to me.i said to her why dont u aske it with a better way from me i payed alot of money to be talked from someone with this way.her answer waswith a shouting way that she dont care and she dont want to talk to me .i said to her but there is no sign where it says its a no smoking area and besides 1 meter from where i was standing 50 people where smoking and if she could show me a sign then i would be glad to throw my ciggarete away.well i guess in 4 star hotels the blond receptionist decide where is smoking areas and where not.even if i was wrong which i consider im not at least the reception who always is the face of the hotel should be polite anb not shout and talk to me with way.ive stayed there for 5 days ive been in many countries in my life and many hotels this is the first time in my life im so dissapointed from a hotel reception .u should make ure hotel a half star hotell cause of ure people who work there.it was the first and last time in my life i would come to ure hotel again.by the way it happened all this in 28 of december 2010 at about 8 30 in morning a blond girl was on the reception if some manager of this hotel would see my complain and at least talk to this lady who she thinks she can talk anyhow she wants in a 4 star hotel she is no good even for cleaning toilets with her way

• Stayed December 2010
3 Thank ase431
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 28 December 2010

This hotel is almost at the city center. It was very nice and clean with good breakfast.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Baltimore
Reviewed 1 December 2010

This hotel is in a great location and has a very nice lobby. Too bad my group only got to see the lobby. I booked two rooms at this hotel about five months in advance after having done significant research on the hotel. I chose the hotel based on its great location and what looked like nice rooms. When we arrived the morning of check in, the front desk attendant informed us that they had overbooked the hotel and that we would be moved to their sister property, the Best Western Hotel Majestic Plaza, which is about 20 minutes away and looks to be not nearly as nice as the Grand Majestic Plaza. They offered us a free taxi over to the other hotel and a room upgrade. Gee, thanks!!! That more than made up for being jerked around after having flown all night. Thankfully, I had booked through Expedia, and they were able to switch us to the K+K Hotel Central for no additional fee (with a credit, actually). The K+K is in a better location and is much nicer. Whatever you do, BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL AND ITS DISHONEST BOOKING PRACTICES!!!

On a lighter note, we used Prague Airport Shuttle to get to and from the airport and they were great. Good price, English speaking (ex pat) drivers. http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/

5 Thank Tbombs34
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We arrived at 9am on a Wednesday morning and were told that the sales staff overbooked the hotel and they were going to move us (4 people) to another hotel 10-15 minutes away. As we stood there, 2 rooms of people checked out. When we asked the front desk clerk if we could have their rooms, they told us that there were rooms but just not for us. They did not offer any incentives to go to the other location despite booking based on the location. When we searched online for another hotel, this hotel was still listing available rooms at this location. I found their claims of overbooking to be disingenuous (as they were still selling rooms online) and their customer service completely lacking. We selected this hotel based on its location and did not want to be even farther out of the city.

Fortunately, we booked through Expedia and they booked us in the K+K Hotel Central; which was amazing. I would not choose this hotel as they completely failed to deliver on what we paid for.

4 Thank kskbauer
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 29 November 2010

My husband and I and 2 friends booked 2 rooms for 4-night stays at the Grand Majestic Plaza over Thanksgiving weekend. We arrived at the Grand Majestic Plaza and were told by the front desk manager that the hotel was overbooked and that there were no rooms for us. They offered us taxi fair to their sister hotel which wasn't as nice and was in a much less desirable location. We were not interested in staying at the sister hotel becasue of the location and because we had paid in advance for our rooms at the Grand Majestic Plaza.

While we were weighing our options and complaining to the front desk about how ridiculous this situation was, two seperate rooms cheked out. We asked the front desk clerk to just check us into those rooms that were just vacated and she told us that she couldn't do that because "those rooms are for someone else." She reiterated that all she could do was send us to the sister property.

Luckily, our cell phones worked and we were able to call our travel agent and have them cancel our "reservation" at the Grand Majestic Plaza and book us in a neighboring Hotel, the K+K Hotel Central, which was 100% nicer than the Grand Majestic Plaza and in an even better location.

DO NOT book at the Grand Majestic Plaza unless you are interested in staying at their sister property, the Majestic Plaza. Completley unprofessional!!

4 Thank JackieTfromNC