“Impractical Design”

Ranked #75 of 649 Hotels in Prague
New Jersey
“Impractical Design”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I recently stayed here for several days, mainly based on the good reviews on Trip Advisor. I just want to say the reviews are not true. While I agree that the room was clean and the staff was nice, there were a number of other issues. For starters, no tissues, no paper, no shower cap, and no pen in the room. The room was so small I could barely fit my luggage (which was only carry ons) and my husband and I couldn't fit in the bathroom at the same time. The other problem was that the shower doors didn't fit together, so we constantly flooded the bathroom, which made the floor slippery and dangerous.

We paid for breakfast, and had to check in every morning with a rude woman, monitoring the room. As bad as the breakfast was, I can't imagine why they would think anyway would try to sneak in to eat it. Overall, I would not go back.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank spaggetts
Andy321, Manager at Red & Blue, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Spaggetts

Thank you for your review.

My team and I are very thankful for every review we receive. We always do our best to rectify anything what we did wrong, did not do or should have done better. Even though we all work hard to deliver the perfect product, we all are people and these things unfortunately happen. I am very sorry that in your case we were not able to meet your expectations.

Please find bellow my comments on your review:
Yes, we do not have tissues, paper, shower cap, and pen in the room. All these are available at the reception on request - one simple call would have been enough and my colleagues would bring these to you free of charge. It is a pity that you did not let us know that you needed these.

As I have mentioned several times on this page, our hotel is a fully reconstructed building from 1890s'. This means that not all rooms are the same. Some of them are bigger, some smaller and we are always happy to change the room if our guest is not happy. I am sorry that you did not let us know about this during your stay. At the same time I have to say that I know all rooms in our hotel personally and that I cannot imagine that our bathroom would not fit two people at the same time or that a carry-on luggage would not fit into any of our rooms.

I am sorry to hear about the missing rubber seal from the bathroom door. This is certainly an omission of the cleaning staff and I am very sorry about this. We have already checked all showers in our hotel and made sure that the new seals are already in all rooms. Again, it is a pity that you did not let us know as the repair is a matter of a couple of minutes.

Unfortunately, I must disagree with one part of your review. I disagree with your statement that our hotel reviews are "not true". Every person is an individual and every point of view is subjective. So far three people, including you, though that our hotel is poor. We respect your opinion and will do our best to improve things that you pointed out. I believe that at the same time you should respect that 426 people thought that our hotel is excellent.

I have already tried to contact you by email, but received no answer. Because of that I would like to use this opportunity to thank you for using our hotel for you stay in Prague and one more time apologize for the fact that we were not able to meet your expectations.

Kind regards

Ondrej
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Virginia
Reviewed 28 September 2012

After nine hours trip from Washington, DC we landed in Prague on September 13th (Thursday) around 9:30am. This was our first time visiting Prague. A day before our departure, my husband was asking the hotel to provide us the taxi to pick us up in the airport.
The taxi driver from hotel has been waiting for us. The cost for taxi was 600 ckz and we paid cash. Thankfully for the hotel, they allowed us to check in early. Even better, one of the front desk staff (Victoria) was generously upgraded our room into suite room. We had red themed and fabulous view to the park. The room was comfy, neat and clean.
I won’t mind walked about 10 or 15 minutes from the hotel to the historic downtown district of Prague. Hotel location is quite and tranquil place to stay. If you want to ride the tram, it just takes you three minutes to walk which is not bad at all. Breakfast were delicious and plenty with hot and cold variety of local food.
We would like to taste the original meal from Prague.. They recommended to us to try “Olympia” Restaurant. It’s just five minutes to walk to taste a great meal over there.
Besides that, we asked the staff (Victoria & Pter) for any good recommendation tours for the first timer like us in Prague. The staff would be gladly to arrange our tours.
I’d like to say “Marvelous” for all employees at R&B Hotel. They are so helpful, informative and friendly. Thank you R&B for magnificent services and memorable stay.

Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I could not fault this hotel in any way , apart from the noise of the shower running in the room above , but it was time to get up anyway , location a 10/15min walk into the centre of Prague, if you do your research , you should be aware of this , so no problem and a very pleasant walk ,cleanliness, one of the cleanest hotels i have stayed in , everything that was needed was in the room , staff very pleasant and helpful, we also used the hotel car for airport transfer at a fee, but well worth it . after a long tiring day we opted for room service , the food was good and had breakfast one morning , the lady was very pleasant and a good selection of food was on offer, continental but adequate .
while waiting for our airport taxi a couple had a mix up with there room , the manager dealt with it in a very professional manner, i was very impressed by his courtesy and in the manner he reassured the couple, so there break would not be spoilt .
If i ever return to Prague, i would definitely stay here again and would recommend to other travellers to Prague, keep up the good work .

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RuthF940
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed for 3 nights to celebrate my birthday and anniversary and I could not have wished for anything better than the Red and Blue design hotel. From start to finsh this hotel made my first trip to Prague even more beautiful and memorable.
Yes its not right in the city centre but I never like staying right in the tourist zone as you dont get the same size or quality room as this at the same price. But its only a 10-15 minute walk or a 3 minute walk to a tram stop and 5 minutes to the centre on the tram. We enjoyed the walking more than I thought and we also found the trams easy, cheap and super reliable. Number 6 or 9 into old town and 22 for the Castle.

We stayed in room 501 which was a superior deluxe room. It was magnificent and very quiet as our windows (which opened properly!!) looked out to the back. The hotel very kindly upgraded us to this room and I am so happy they did! - Thanks R&B team. Our room was large and had everything we needed (we bought travel kleenex with us so not an issue!) There were ample plugpoints, mirrors in the room and bathroom, hairdryer, safe, minifridge/bar, a desk, chair and sofas. Our room was blue themed and although it was a pair of twin beds rather than a double we didnt ask to move rooms as everything else was perfect. In the past a lack of double bed has been a deal breaker for us but this time I'm glad we made the exception. We found the fixtures and fittings to be of an excellent quality and the bed and bedding was good quality egyption cotton. There is a pillow an duvet menu if you want/need something different.

We found all the staff to be superb in their manner and how professional they were especially the front desk and bar staff. The breakfast lady was a little strict and I can agree she can come across a tiny bit rude as my partner left his room card envelope one morning and she was suspicious of him - but I guess shes doing her job but to make up for it the cook (a lovely man) was so smiley and friendly you can overlook that and to be honest I personally didnt have an issue with it.

Breakfast is continental buffet style and yes its similar everyday but imagine you liked one particular thing and the next day it was changed and there was nothing you liked? In my opnion there was plenty of choice and you would find something you like.The fresh juices were great.

I can only think of one or two slightly niggly things but nothing to make me mark down this hotel so purely for feedback I would say the bathroom taps (which look great) are slightly impractical but if you lean down slightly to one side you get used to it and dont spill or splash as much. Also a hook for your towel outside the shower cubicle would be good. And that is the only things both my partner and I can say on the negative side there really is not anything bad to say - our stay was perfect!

Many other 4 or 5 star hotels I've stayed in dont live up to the hype or expectations but the R&B design hotel most definitely does I would go far as to say one of the best hotels in the price range as you cant get this quality and size of room normally at this price in Europe.
Wifi was available free throughout the hotel and I'm so pleased they dont try and rip off guests by charging obscene amounts as some hotels do.

If i return to Prague and if the prices dont change too much this is the only place I would consider staying in. Keep up the good work the praise you get is well deserved!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet and rooms at the front have gorgeous views
2 Thank mymocakes
NYC
Reviewed 23 September 2012

After reading all the glowing reviews, we were looking forward to our stay. I agree 100% that the front desk staff is very nice and helpful. Also, the air conditioning in the room worked really well. Unfortunately, I have to disagree with almost everything else that has been said. This hotel falls short in many ways. Here are some things you should know.

- No tissues in either our room or our friend’s, so I guess they don’t have them. You should expect to blow your nose with toilet paper. Tissues are a basic item one would expect in any hotel room.
- The sink faucet is poorly designed making it impossible to wash your face without getting water everywhere. See my photo.
- The towels are small and of cheap quality. My fitness club provides better towels.
- The beddings are cheap and not that comfortable.
- No currency exchange at the desk. I have never stayed at a hotel overseas that did not offer this service.
- Noise from street traffic woke me up.
- The woman who runs breakfast is militant. We called her the KGB. She will require you to show your envelope that your room key card came in at check-in. See photo. Do not throw this envelope out like most do upon entering your room. KGB will not let you eat breakfast without it.
-Speaking of breakfast, it is of poor quality and selection. We actually paid for breakfast at a local café instead of eating at this hotel.
- The location is not ideal, despite what other reviews suggest. If you are a tourist, you will most likely be spending most of your time in Old Town across the river. This makes it very impractical to drop off gifts in your room, or to get cleaned up for dinner. Trust me, it is a hassle and you will not want to do it more than once per day. Yes, there is a tram system, but it is slow and annoying. We mostly walked everywhere.

My suggestion is to spend the extra money and find a nicer place in Old Town. We had drinks one evening at the Buddha-Bar Hotel and Lounge and out of curiosity, I asked to see a room. Wow! What a difference. Sorry I booked Red and Blue Design.

Room Tip: Find a hotel in Old Town
7 Thank VacationDude
Andy321, Manager at Red & Blue, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear VacationDude

Thank you very much for your review and especially for your critics. My team and I work hard to provide the best possible service for our customers. Even though it was always my dream to meet all expectations of all of our customers, I now know that we are just not able to please everybody. However, we will continue to do our best to at least meet the expectations of most of our customers.

I was glad to read that you liked the front office staff and that you enjoyed the AC in your room. Please find bellow my comments to the remaining points of your review:
1. no tissues - yes, our hotel does not offer tissues in the rooms, however, we certainly provide them free of charge on request, it is a pity that you did not mention this during your stay
2. sink faucet design - I have to admit that this is the first time we have a complaint about this, I have used it several times myself and yes you have to be a bit more careful not to make the desk wet, on the other hand, if you do, the housekeeping will clean this for you every day
3. towels and bedding - I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you, the towels and bedding were definitely not cheap and are rather expensive. I am very sorry that it did not meet your expectations though.
4. yes, our hotel does not offer currency exchange at the front desk; I have to say it is rather an exception that somebody exchanges cash these days; most of our customers use their cards to pay; in emergency cases we are also ready to provide cash back on our customers' credit cards.
5. noise from street - our hotel is located on a street with medium traffic, on the other hand, all rooms with windows to the street (just behind the street there is lovely park, so the view is very nice) are double windows - the outside window being double-glazed, inside window single glazed. All windows are brand new. This assures that we hardly ever receive a complaint about the noise. And if we do, we are more than happy to provide a room on higher floor or with windows to the courtyard. I am very sorry that you were woken up during your stay. It is a pity that you did not let us know about this already during your stay, we would be glad to offer you an alternative room immediately.
6. breakfast - our hotel offers rates with breakfast and without breakfast - due to this it is important to check the room number in the breakfast room; besides the breakfast information, the room card cover contains also little metro plan, hotel contact details and internet access codes, so I do not see a reason why through it out immediately after check in.
7. breakfast offer - I am sorry to read that you did not like the breakfast offer, we are continuously working on the offer and are trying to amend it so we meet the taste of most of our customers, if you have any particular suggestions, we will be more than happy to amend our current offer
8. hotel location - obviously, if a person wants to spend most time in the old town, then it is better to stay in a hotel directly in the middle of the old town; on the other hand, most of our customers also want to visit the Charles Bridge, Prague Castle, the Dancing Building and other sights of Prague which are in the vicinity of our hotel. The position of our hotel enables our customers also to try the local restaurants at local prices and not eat only in the overpriced old town places.

I can definitely agree with you that the 5* Buddha-Bar Hotel is a nice place. I am afraid that we cannot match its location, which is indeed in the middle of the Old Town. I am also sure that we will also never have the rates that they ask for their rooms and which are 5times and more higher than the rates for our hotel.

Even though it is not common, I would also like to add my suggestion at the end of my reply: If you want to stay in a 5* hotel in the middle of the old town - pay their price and book the Buddha-Bar hotel. If you want to stay in a nice, new, design hotel of 4star standard at good price and do not mind a little bit of walking then I am confident that the Red and Blue is the hotel for you.

Thank you for staying with us!

Ondrej
Hotel Manager
US
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I went to Prague on a business trip and stayed two nights at the Red and Blue. This is a beautiflu hotel a few blocks from the historic downtown district of Prague- within walking distance. The hotel is in a nice residential area and passerbys would not think this is a hotel but an upscale apartement buildling. The hotel is nicely decorated- the rooms are large by European city standards and very nicely decorated - the furnishings are quite nice- big windows- nice bedding and curtains. the rooms are very clean. Breakfast is buffet style in the dining room but it is a generous hot and cold buffet with local food.

Staff was very helpful. they arranged for a car service to bring me to my appointments- and couldn't have been more accomodating

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank bayforest3205
crawley sussex
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We have just returned from a three night trip to Prague, and our stay was made very comfortable at the Red and Blue Design Hotel. On arriving early in the morning our room was ready and they had no problem with us checking in straight away. The hotel is as others have said, very clean, very friendly, very comfortable.One of the things that surprised me was the pillow and duvet menu in the information book in the room, my pillow was to firm and they changed it for me it was sooooooooo comfy...bathroom was big and to have a large bath and seperate shower cubicle also his and her sinks....fridge, kettle and tea and coffee also supplied.The breakfast is fresh and plenty. Hotel is situated in a good spot, near the trams to take you to the places of interest, but you will need coins for the tram ticket machines, or get a day or three day pass if you don't want to do a lot of walking these are available at various shops.I emailed the hotel to ask about transfers from the airport and they arranged for us to be met, and the return transfers were 39 euros, or 1000 ckz. We could not fault the R&B, and not to have to use air con as they had windows that opened !!!! Prague is beautiful,a jazz band playing on Charles bridge stop and listen they are good, and an evening boat trip with dinner and music was enchanting, & with the castle illuminated against the sky up high over looking the river, medieval magic, go and see it & stay at the R&B you won't be dissappointed .

Room Tip: we had a room on third floor overlooking the back of the hotel, but even with the windows open it w...