“Green Heating System Makes Rooms Like a Sauna”
Review of Mosaic House

Mosaic House
Ranked #72 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed in the 4* hotel section of Mosaic House on the 4th floor. The whole place is quite cool and has a youthful vibe as the ground floor facilities are shared with the hostel element. Staff are very young and uber-friendly. Rooms are comfortable but in need of some cosmetic works where moving the bed has scratched the wooden floor and the walls.

Mosaic House prides itself in being green - fantastic in principle - but it does not lead to a comfortable night's sleep. The eco friendly system is supposed to detect whether you are in the room and keep in at a comfortable temperature by adjusting the heating / cooling and raising and lowering external electric blinds. However my room was always between 25C and 26 C when it was 2C outside. Far too hot and even on the lowest setting it would not cool down. Opening the windows automatically raises the blind and shuts the system down so you can cool the room by opening the window. However when you shut it the auto system comes back on and blasts the room back up to 25C to 26C. Also the system runs a pump or fan for 15 seconds roughly every two minutes. This is noisy and stops you sleeping but then it is difficult to sleep in that heat anyway! Maybe it was just the system not working properly in my room but it would certainly make me think twice about staying there again! And it must use use huge amounts of fuel to get the rooms that hot which cannot be very green.

Shame because other than the heating problem, it was great and the location is fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,393)

Reviewed 22 October 2011

I visited Prague the other week with my daughter and booked the Mosaic Hotel. Besides being so easy to find [right by the metro] and within easy walking of all major sights. This is just a joy of a place to stay. Spotless, Beautifully decorated and just the most friendly and lovely staff I have ever come across. It is a hostel as well and just buzzing with young people. I am 67 so was certainly the oldest person there but never felt out of place. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced. All round a delightful place to stay. The other BIG point is that this is an eco friendly Hotel, recycling their water and a variety of other eco saving devices. Another point in their favour

Room Tip: We booked a room with a balcony, which is their most expensive room, but was really worth it
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2011

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights in Mosaic House and we were extremely pleased with the helpful staff and great facilities. Is was a wee walk away from the old town, but public transport is easy to use and close by. A great stay had by us both.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 6 October 2011

The Mosaic House is definitely a hotel for the young and young at heart. Our room (605) had a beautiful terrace that overlooked the city. The room itself was spacious with plenty of room for us to stretch out after a long day of walking the city and sampling the delicious Czech beers. Their mission to be green is also very cool. The staff is comprised of some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. All of them were super helpful in answering all of our questions. One guy actually offered to drive us to Cesky Krumlov (about 2.5 hours away) on his day off! It's also in a great location. The only thing to take into consideration is that the lobby basically turns into a bar scene in the evening. My wife and I liked the vibe, but could understand how it would turn other travelers off. That being said our room, to our amazement, was completely quiet. You couldn't hear a thing, even with a band playing downstairs.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Overall we had a great experience at Mosaic House. Greeted by very friendly staff who were helpful throughout our stay. The rooms were a good size with modern decore and nice bathroom/shower. Location was fine, about a 20 minute walk to the centre of the old town or just jump on the underground or tram which stop just a minutes walk away.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Stayed in a private room and it was beautiful! The room was clean, spacious, modern, and equipped with all the comforts that one needs. It was quiet and I couldn't hear a peep from other guests. I didn't feel like I was staying at a hostel at all.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The bar plays all the latest sport games on their big screens and offers some tasty meals and cheap treats.

Hostel's located near Old Town Square, Wencelas Square, Charles Bridge etc ... basically all of the action.

Bets value I've ever gotten for my money and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others! In fact, I'd highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Book a private room, they are not much more expensive than a dorm.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My friend and I stayed here in a private room and felt so spoiled after backpacking through Europe and staying at the hostels in other cities. Eco-friendly, well located, amazing staff and filled with friendly travelers. You must stay here if you're in Prague!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends