“Excellent but compromised...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 670 Hotels in Prague
London, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent but compromised...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Having stayed at c.20 hostels worldwide I can easily say this was the comfiest, cleanest hostel I've ever stayed in with bathrooms I'd expect of a 4* hotel. We (a group of 6 guys) stayed in an ensuite dorm for 3 nights in October 2011 and the only thing that this place lacked was atmosphere. It frankly isn't a hostel, which is great if you want an affordable base with hostel prices but hotel like quality, but the whole place felt compromised by being an upmarket hostel trying to also be a hotel. The bar/common area is huge and could be fantastic but had zero atmosphere, no volume on the TVs in case 'hotel guests' were disturbed as well as being shut on Saturday night so some event could be put on (charging guests to use what should be a facility).

Location is adequate, though a 15-20 minute walk from the main attractions. Would almost certainly stay here again if I visited Prage again (showers are almost worth the air-fare alone!) but I think it'll always be a bitter-sweet experience.....

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed 3 nights in a double room (the hotel offers both hostel type shared rooms and private rooms). We loved the hotel design and our room was very comfortable (we got room 314). As Mosaic is also a hostel, the place offers a great lively atmosphere, which could be a nice change from more traditional hotels. Our rate included breakfast at Belushi's (the hotel restaurant) which had a great variety of choices. The hotel's location is good but not great. there is a metro and tram station around the corner and you can walk everywhere. though, the area didn´t offer a good supply of restaurants. hotel staff was friendly and ready to answer any questions you may have.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Leuven
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Me and my friend stayed in the hostel of the Mosaic House. We stayed in the female dorm for 26 girls and it was really a pleasant surprise. Because it was so cheap, we were kinda already anticipating something not right to happen, like maybe a dirty place, bad service or just something bad. But on the contrary! This is one of the best hostels I have stayed at! Literally one of the best. Though I didn't really sleep well because we somehow ended up with such noisy people in the room, but all by all, the beds were clean and we could store our backpacks right under the beds in some kind of roll out closets and for the ones who wonder if they can use a padlock, yes you can! But bring a big one. Not of those flimsy ones. The beds are bunker beds and I'd say ... Good luck with finding a quiet corner. The bathroom has like 4 toilets and 4 showers. And even though it's clean, I'd suggest you bring a pair of flipflops like I did. Hahaha, I'm just not to keen on stepping in someone else's hair. Service is really nice. Very friendly staff! I was sick and I could not speak up and the people of the hostel often asked me if I was alright and they offered me a lot of peppermint tea or just a hot milk with honey for free, saying that it was ok, cause I sound as if I need it. We left our luggage in their luggage room on our last day and they were really helpful with helping us to look up timetables for our ride back to the airport. Also check out their maps ( they will give you that once you arrive) they often have some interesting, nice little restaurants or places where you should go to. If you show them the map of the hostel, they will give you a 10 percent discount! Really, this hostel was AWESOME!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Most of the staff was friendly and helpful. Sleeping in the 16 person mixed dorm was nice because after the weekend not many people were there so I had a whole nook to myself. Clean and environmental - Donate your 2 euros! Apparently no one does...

I took both tours offered: a "4 hour" tour through the city and a bar crawl. I say "4 hours" because the group I was walking with took more photos than the paparazzi so it took quite a bit longer. The tour guide, Joshua, kept the tour focused on our interests and also laughing. Not a native but knows the history pretty well - If you read this CZ has a parliamentary representative democracy :P On the bar tour we were a small group of four which had me dubious until I started talking to the manager and guide who made the night unforgettable. So much fun!

Room Tip: The more people the more noise at all hours - bring earplugs.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

This is the second time I have stayed in this hostel and is Still the best I have ever stayed in.

Clean rooms, Energy efficient, Nice clean bathrooms, Nice bar. Good location. Your an idiot if you stay anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Chester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed in the Mosaic House Hotel from 16th March for 4 nights and we booked to stay in one of the top floor rooms with a balcony overlooking the city. Everything we asked for on reservation was provided and the staff were truly excellent. The top floor rooms are excellent and well worth paying a bit extra for. The view from the balconies over the city were excellent. Be careful on the room that you get allocated though on the top floor - we stayed in Room 601 which was a large room, however part of our party also stayed in room 602 and that was more cramped and considerably smaller. Having said that, if you are staying on the top floor and worry about it also being a hostel, do not - you need additional access if you are staying on the top floor so your room key would have to be activated to enter.

The food in Belushi's at night was excellent, and would thoroughly recommend the pork ribs! A good amount of food of excellent quality for a low price. The drinks are well priced too for a hotel bar.

We had breakfast in our stay, and to be honest the breakfast was the only disappointing element to the trip. In some ways the breakfast does let the hotel down a bit. On our 1st full day, the full english breakfast was cold - and although it was redone, it was still not overly warm. Throughout the stay, the breakfasts were never really very hot and always seemed to be served on cold plates. The hotel would be better advised to serve hot breakfasts on warm/hot plates. They also seemed to be very careful with what they give you and how much. Also be aware that for drinks at breakfast only tea/coffee is included. Any other drinks do have to be paid for.

Overall though, an excellent stay, a great hotel that has only just been refurb'd and the hotel was everything we could have asked of it.

Room Tip: If can do so, stay in rooms on the top floor. You need additional access to the top floor to preven...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank avfc4life16
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

The hostel is located quite central (Metro is about 5minutes, but you can also walk in 5minutes to the Wenzelsplatz which is central). For me it wasn't just a hostel - it was more a 3-star-hotel. We were in 6-bed-rooms and 8-bed-rooms and they were modern, comfortable, enough place for luggage and a great bathroom with a rainforest-shower. For breakfast we had a buffet which included bread, mean, cheese, scrambled eggs, different juices, cornflakes and yogurt.
The bar in the hostel has great offers (every day happy hours on some drinks) and great food, there are also some concerts with free entry.
The staff is very nice and helpful and spoke fluent English. But if you ask for a good traditional restaurant and they give you the adress from the "Restaurace Ostrovni" don't go there - awful food and you have to wait very long for your food (I also made a rating for the restaurant on tripadvisor)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends