“Very disappointing”

Ranked #1,144 of 6,047 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Czech
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Malá Strana (Little Quarter)
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

The Three Ostriches came highly recommended as both a hotel and restaurant by well-healed friends who stayed there years ago and raved about the food and service.

We opted for a hotel in the town centre instead, but did visit the indoor restaurant for lunch.

The location immediately at the north west end of Charles Bridge (that's on the other side when coming from the town centre) means that the restaurant also has a popular terrace.

Our waiter was clearly struggling to serve both terrace and restaurant apparently on his own, despite this being a Saturday lunchtime in May.

The restaurant is anything but welcoming (and rather bizarrely has an ATM right by the door). Customers walk into the hotel, work out they have to go through a closed door into the gloomy restaurant and wait - and wait and wait - to be seated. Several walked out unattended.

Service was passive aggressive with a smile. Our main course arrived as we were still finishing our starters. The waiter blamed this on the kitchen being busy.

Starters were okay but nothing special. Wine was very good. Main course of ostrich steaks (from a Czech ostrich farm) with a port sauce was fine but dry.

A table next to us was told off for not leaving a tip - with a smile, of course. We had to ask for a security pin code to use the toilet. Not what you expect in a top restaurant.

If I mention that napkins were paper rather than linen, I think it sums up how much far one of the oldest and previously best restaurants in Prague has sunk. Very, very disappointing.

2  Thank Nunneylocal

Reviewed 6 May 2013

very nice and charming place to stay in prague, just on the bridge.The area is lovely and recently restored. The rooms are comfortable and the management very professional and nice. The restaurant is very good. Easy to get everywhere.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

This restaurant is definitely one of those places that overcharge for their location. The restaurant is super nice inside, with an olden feel. The atmosphere is very serene, however, to me the restaurant is mostly about the food served. And the food was really so-so. We had 5 people with us and none of us REALLY enjoyed our lunch. Be aware the bottle of water here is around 180 crowns. Overall it's an ok place, but I think there are a lot more places in Prague that should be visited before this restaurant.

2  Thank mah0gany15
Reviewed 30 March 2013 via mobile

We ordered 2 bottle of water costesd 180 czk each.
It means 7 Euro each. Very expensive!.
Coverchage was 40 czk for us ( 2 adults &1 kid).

1  Thank maruo8989
Reviewed 28 September 2012

It was raining, I had been walking all day, and U Tri Pstrosu caught my eye. The restaurant itself was pleasant, with older furniture and a beautiful ceiling. I chose the fixed-price menu, which included soup, a choice of svickova (beef) or roast duck, and apple strudel. My waiter also brought a small basket of bread and some cheese spread.

The soup was lovely, but I have to say, the svickova was disappointing. This Czech dish is one of my absolute favourites (to the point that on some visits to Prague, it's the only thing I order) and this one was average at best. Lots and lots of gravy, but a measly 1 1/2 slices of beef - one of which had a fair amount of fat on it. Also stingy on the cranberry sauce. Usually I don't touch the bread when ordering svickova (because of the dumplings served with it), but this was an exception.

The apple strudel was good, but nothing outstanding. Thick layers of pastry (rather than the thinly-rolled layers that are characteristic of a well-made strudel).

Only when I went to pay was I informed that the credit card machine was not working and that only cash would be accepted. Thankfully I had the cash in my wallet, but if that's a prerequisite, it's good to know in advance. Also, there was a charge for the bread/rolls (also would have been good to know at the onset) and a service charge was added. It was the most expensive meal during my whole trip, but certainly not the best. There are plenty of other great choices in Prague; this one doesn't make my "return" list.

1  Thank Holly J