“Delectable Ostrich Goulash Soup”

Restaurant U Tri Pstrosu
Ranked #1,166 of 5,589 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Czech
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mala Strana (Little Quarter)
Reviewed 16 May 2014

As some other reviewers have noted, the Ostrich Goulash Soup with apple horseradish and bacon dumplings is amazing, and I would go back there again just for that. Prices are naturally higher due to the location very near the Charles Bridge, but worth it. Bring cash in case the credit card machine is "unavailable".

2  Thank ve3ikv/w6
There are newer reviews for Restaurant U Tri Pstrosu

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We had a traditional menu. As a starter we had a dill-mushroom soup with a poached egg floating in it. Great taste, but quite heavy. Then followed roast duck with coal and dumplings. Portions were abundant - good quality and taste. As dessert we got an excellent apple strudel. We took a bottle of wine from the wine list. All together good food and wine for a very reasonable price with an excellent service. Tips were optional, as it should, so I tipped more then usual, given the good experience.

1  Thank PPRubens
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Thought I'd try the lunchtime special - goulash followed by roast duck. Waiter was not the friendliest one I have encountered and When the bill came - it was not 2 • 240 = 480 but 528, service automatically included - not optional it would seem. I can understand why this might be done , judging by the standard if food and service. The goulash soup was ok, perhaps more meat and potatoes would have made it better. The duck was the main course , with dumpling and cabbage - I can only assume that a batch of ducks had died in a fire and then been kept cooking overnight! They were dry , very dry, and the dumplings were anot like others I had eaten whilst in Prague. Like any review, one can only judge on what was presented , and on the evidence of the duck, it has to be to go somewhere else

1  Thank salsakarl
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The location is fantastic at the edge of the charles bridge - right in the heart of the most toured area of Prague. The quality of the food was exceptional for all 4 main dishes ordered. The portions were small and the prices a little high but that was to be expected at the very touristy location in a very touristy restaurant. Service was acceptable.

1  Thank Etienne F
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had a nice meal here last night. I had the Mediterranean fish soup (2 bowls actually, because the portion was not really big and the soup was very hot and tasty - a clear, light broth with fresh delicious fish, served piping hot). My husband had the traditional soup with poached egg and dill and really liked it. I think having poached eggs in soup is genius - the combination of flavors is awesome and the idea works for almost any soup. I had their grilled/roasted fennel and veggie salad as my entree (very fresh and flavorful) and stole some chunks of ostrich goulash from my husband :) Now that's a dish not to be missed. Fantastic, flavorful, lean meat with horseradish on the side and two large bread pudding-like dumplings with bacon. An absolute delight and highly recommended. We also split a local dessert - I forget the name, but it was like a potato flour based dumpling (3, actually), filled with plum jam, boiled, and served hot with brown sugar, nuts and a bit of melted butter on top. My husband tried a local red wine and thought it was alright. Altogether, and with mineral water, all this came to about EUR 60 (we didn't have enough crowns with us and the exchange rate wasn't great - using the actual exchange rate it would have been closer to EUR 53). Good service too, and of course good location.

2  Thank giulietta429