“Not to be missed”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Staroceska Krcma

Staroceska Krcma
Ranked #1,325 of 5,372 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Czech, European, Central European
Dining options: Drinks, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Praha 6
Description: A traditional Czech tavern with big wooden tables and an open fireplace.
“Not to be missed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

6 of us visited this fab restaurant on a Monday evening, it worth the short metro ride and 10 minute walk to find. The place is only lit by candles, a roaring log fire and simple tables with benches where you sit on lambs wool. The place was really lively, great atmosphere and the food excellent and very well cooked and presented. We had a great evening in this unique restaurant, the chap serving the food was fun and it was really inexpensive. you should definitely give it a visit as you won't be disappointed!

5 Thank Steveinnorthwales

• Czech first
Geneva, Switzerland
“Great atmosphere but average food and service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

This place is lit by candle-light and a wood hearth, making you feel transported into another time.
However, the food and the service fell flat. As part of the 30 czk cover charge, you get sliced bread with a garlic-lard spread. Neither my wife nor I liked this. We split a garlic soup, which also was nothing special. Then we ordered the second 2-person meat meal, which was advertised to have chicken wings, pork ribs, sausage, and potatoes with bacon and mushrooms. The wings and the pork ribs were great, but the sausage and mushrooms were missing! The potatoes were also very undercooked.
Our waitress was very slow and unfriendly.
I really wanted to like this place, but unfortunately all it has is an awesome atmosphere and decor.

PS they don't accept credit cards.

8 Thank JackPasco
Paris, France
“Unique atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I went to this restaurant because of its Trip Advisor reviews. We went there after visiting the Castle. Although it said in other review that is takes 10-15 minutes to walk from the Castle, it think it took us about 20. You have to go by roads that are under construction. I told myself that if I was by myself, I don't think I would have went there alone. Once we arrived, we were happy to discover the magic of that restaurant. The atmosphere was great, and the food very good! Don't expect a good service, but its not worst or better than any other restaurant in Prague. We took the plate for two of mixed grilled meat. It was very good.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Jade S
“AWESOME!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

There is not much I can say about Staroceska, except you must go there and experience it! It was one of my favorite restaurants we went to on our trip to Prague.
We stayed on the Old Town side of the river, so we waited to visit Staroceska until we went over the river to the castle. I wish it was closer to us, because I would have gone every single day.
The entire menu was in Czech, and the waiter was nice enough to go through the main dishes with us, because we had no clue what we were doing! My friend and I both started with chicken soup, and it was so yummy! Then she had the chicken nuggets with roasted potatoes and I had roast beef with rice and gravy! We both also had quite a few beers. Our bill came out to be about $20, if that! The food is so cheap, and you would never know. Everything was so delicious and the portions were huge!
The atmosphere is the best part of Starceska. The main dining room is just large wooden tables and benches, all lit by candle light. It was an experience I will never forget!

• Visited January 2014
7 Thank Emylizzbit
“Meal or Ambience...Hard to say which was better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

This was by far the BEST meal we have ever eaten. I've thought of it each day since we were there. The whole place is richly lit by candle light and what ever street lighting comes from outside. Fluffy sheep skin rugs cover the hand carved benches. Though we had no reservation, I'd recommend one.

We ordered the 2nd meal on the menu that was a "meal for 2". It was an assortment of wings (meatiest wings), sausage and ribs that were stocked with meat. It equated to 13$, but I'd have paid triple that price just to eat the meal again! Watch out or you will be tempted to over indulge on the garlic butter and bread that comes out before the meal. You order your own sauces and they come warm or cold.

I read about this place on Trip Advisor and it was worth the whole weekend we spent in Prague!

• Visited January 2014