“Peaceful haven”

Castle Residence Praha
Ranked #252 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 29 June 2013

The info tells you this hotel is outside the city, for that you get absolute peace & quiet after your busy day in the city. But don't let this worry you as the free shuttle is efficient and quick for transfer to Tram or Metro for the short ride into town, the costs of public transport is cheap and the hotel will sell you the tickets. The staff speak English well and nothing is too much trouble for them, they were polite & attentive at all times. Special thanks to Jan for his advice.The breakfast was good and plenty of choice, buffet style food & hot drinks so you could have as little or as much as you wanted. Long availability of breakfast was also good so early or late starters. The building and rooms are immaculate, spacious and the cleanliness of the highest standards. Not a critism, but a suggestion for the future - for us we would have liked to have been able to get snacks or light meals at the hotel rather than just the full restaurant menu. Swimming pool & Jacuzzi are a lovely addition to aid relaxation after a busy day sight-seeing Would definitely go there again and would strongly recommend to anyone

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jane A
There are newer reviews for Castle Residence Praha

Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed in the 4-room Residence instead of the main hotel and were very, very happy. The building is lovely, the rose garden in summer is gorgeous, the rooms are a generous size with new fixtures and are clean and new-feeling. Noteworthy is the Management, which provides on-request shuttle service and is friendly, helpful and informative. The hotel is away from the center of Prague, but we found this to be an advantage. My only negative involves the restaurant: the "a la carte" items were delicious, but the breakfast buffet was unimpressive (cold scrambled eggs, stale cereal) with restaurant help that was abrupt and aloof. I would definitely stay here again, but I might go out for breakfast....!

Room Tip: Residence rooms are perfect if you have a large family or are travelling with friends: the whole 4...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pineGermany
Reviewed 30 May 2013

A great location for quiet stays in Prague, excellent service at the reception as well as room service, only the catering in terms of service really is poor - the food was fine, but the staff serving us on all three days of our stay was not properly trained.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Where to start...difficult question as don`t want to make it look like an advert for this hotel...
Well whatever! We were having our wedding reception at this hotel in April this year. We arrived quite late on our arrival day (11pm) even that guy from the reception came to tune our TV as was in Russian language and none of us understood single word. Great!
Our guests came over next couple of days. We have had quite few children so playroom and bowling were very handy to keep them engaged.

Except one night out we were having our dinners in hotel. Ohhhh soooo yummy! Everything we have had there was delicious! Breakfast gives you a nice choice too.

On the wedding day best man has found he has white shoelaces in black shoes!!! `No worries` said bartender and gave him his own. Fab! I have to say all members of staff were very friendly and willing to do anything to make you happy which we think was one of the reasons why our wedding was so great!

Overall...rooms are very nice and clean. Whatever you need just call reception and they will bring it to you with smile on face no matter what time. Food...loved it a lot! Location...nice and quiet place with free transport to Zoo, bus or tram station. Service...fantastic!

Thanks for making our stay so special throughout whole week we were there.

Kat & Neil

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KatarinaLaw
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I do not like city centres so the Castle Residence was exactly what was required. Close enough to visit everything without having the noise etc of being in the centre. The restaurant was good. Good breakfast - plenty of selection. Lovely coffee - lots of different kinds of breads.

Staff were excellent - very friendly and helpful. They spoke very good English.

All in all, an enjoyable pleasant stay - no hassle and no worries. Would go back if returning to Prague and have no hesitation in recommending them.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JDWHampshire
Reviewed 9 May 2013

The hotel was our base for trips into Prague over a long weekend. The service was excellent with lots of advice by the English speaking reception.The Castle Residence is quite a way from the city centre but the hotel runs a free shuttle to the nearest tram and metro stops which never failed us during our 4 daily visits to the city. Our family enjoyed playing ten pin bowling and mini golf although it is worth noting that this is at extra charge. All the facilities are in impeccable order and the overall effect makes for a good holiday. Prices at the bar are reasonable for the good Czech lager available on draught. The hotel is in a quiet location and the garden is pleasant for sitting at the end of the day.

Our double room was very big, quiet and comfortable during the hot and cold weather in late April.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ian S
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Well, first of all, I don't want to say it's a bad hotel. It is OK, not bad, but much worse than I was expecting. I visited many many times Prague and stayed in beautiful hotels, in the center, in amazing old buildings with painted decorations in the ceiling, with super service, excellent food and so on. So I can compare with my previous experience.
I booked this hotel a bit in a hurry, blindly following Tripadvisor without doing my homework and I regret it quite a lot. First of all, it is overrated big time. I see absolutely no reason why it has the "Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner". I am actually really wondering how this award is given... And in this case, I think Tripadvisor didn't do its homework either! Let me start with the comments about this hotel from previous users: why did "Nickyboy50" copy and paste the comments from "Russ H"?
I quote (both of them): "Tram tickets are available (and cheap) at the desk. Buy tram tickets for your return as well. Better still - if you know you will be there for a few days, buy a 3/4 day pass." This goes on and on, they even both "had the pool to ourselves most of the time". Very suspicious...
The "extremely good" breakfast buffet was average, the "nice place to eat" restaurant is fully packed with loud children, the stereo plays oldies rock and roll, the deco looks like the day after a kids birthday, and it took them over 45 min to cook my main dish with only few customers (and they forgot the salad).
The rooms are big, yes, but the dead spider below the mirror was not so nice (if you read this, please clean my room - first floor to the right), and the sheet had stains. Not a big deal, I stayed in worth places - but they were not self acclaimed hotel of the year!
I didn't try the spa / swimming pool unfortunately... it's because I spent all my time trying to get the wifi internet signal working.
Oh, about the location, you know prague? Well, it's not close from it. It may be inside the city map, but definitely far away from its beautiful historical center. May be "easy" to reach with tram + shuttle... but next time I will stay in one of the many many nice hotel where you can walk and be within seconds to this amazing city. Not to mention that I was hitting massive traffic jam for the meetings that I was attending and I lost a lot of time because of that.
All in one: hotel is ok, rooms are ok, food was ok I guess, location is bad, general atmosphere is not top and I will definitely not go there again.
I think that if you know the city well already and are not interested to visit it, if you don't want to look for a parking spot or pay for garage, if you have kids and you just want to avoid the city center, it's probably a nice place to stay. If you like to really experience this city, if you don't have kids and want to go out, if you like a nice traditional atmosphere, search something else.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business