“Got married here...”

Small-Group World War II Historical Tour in Prague
Ranked #20 of 957 things to do in Prague
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This museum tells the story of brave Czech paratroopers who killed SS-Obergrupenführer Reinhard Heydrich in the Operation Anthropoid. Jan Kubiš and Josef Gabčík escaped to this church and the crypt under the church together with five more paratroopers and 20 days later they died here during fight against 700 Nazi soldiers.
Reviewed 9 April 2012

So how can I not rate it anything but, excellent. Seriously, worth a look at the display of the events surrounding the Czechs who parachuted into the country when the Nazis were occupying to assassinate Heydrich. If you're short for time, better to pass on this one.

1  Thank Tony W

Reviewed 3 April 2012

On an early Sunday morning walk we visited the church as the orthodox priest was arriving and preparations were underway for the services. We are always very interested in the history of the places we visit, and particularly this period in history, so we returned to visit the museum in the crypt shortly after 9am. We were the only ones there.

We found the exhibits with black and white photographs portrayed well the context of the assassination and its horrific aftermath of reprisals. The memorials through the door at the back were very moving as were the details such as of the only entrance from street level back in 1942 and the bullet marks still to be seen.

We though the museum a very poignant reminder of human cruelty, heroism and betrayal.

1  Thank permia
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Finding and getting to this church/museum will require a bit of an effort but it was well worth it to me. This place is a must for anyone that has a love or at least a fascination with history. I don't know that I want to provide too many specific details about this attraction because I think it is best appreciated by your own individual journey. But I will tell you that I found it quite moving and you get a sense for how important this story is to the Czech people. It is a story about some WW II heroes that I don't believe is widely known outside of the Czech Republic.

1  Thank Robert C
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Maybe I chose the wrong day - it was a Wednesday. Streetscape value for sure, but no idea what the interior is like.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

The museum here was not quite what I expected. It is obvious they subscribe to the new theory of museums that are long on text and short on artifacts. Still worth a visit though.