“This should be a mandatory visit”

St Cyril and St Methodius Cathedral
Small-Group World War II Historical Tour in Prague
Ranked #20 of 956 things to do in Prague
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This museum tells the story of brave Czech paratroopers who killed SS-Obergrupenführer Reinhard Heydrich in the Operation Anthropoid. Jan Kubiš and Josef Gabčík escaped to this church and the crypt under the church together with five more paratroopers and 20 days later they died here during fight against 700 Nazi soldiers.
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I first visited this memorial last year and was so moved by it that I felt I should take my wife there during a short break in Prague.
The small museum is well laid out and during both of my visits there was an air of calm and reflectiveness. It was interesting to note that in the past 12 months a simple gate to the crypt has been replaced with a far more impressive entrance which only adds to the sombre atmosphere inside the catacombs.
The only downside to our visit was that we had earlier been to the Pinkus synagogue and the Jewish cemetery. Not the most uplifting of days but memorable all the same.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

This cathedral had an excellent exhibition about Operation Anthropoid - the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich in Prague during world war 2. The actual assassination itself was carried out in the Prague district of Liben (you can find exactly where on the maps in the exhibition) but the soldiers who carried it out made their last stand in this cathedral. You can visit the crypt where the Germans tried but failed to capture the soldiers alive - most committed suicide after the Germans used tear gas and flooded the crypt. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

So this is very close to where we stayed. You walk into the doors and there is a glass surround stopping you actually entering. You can view inside the Catherdral and that is all.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

This small museaum and visit to the crypt were one of the highlights of my visit to Prague.

Learned something I didn't know about WW2 and the whole visit from start to finish.

The Crypt where the heroes made there last stand oozes history and you can see busts ot the heroes that lost their lives in order that we be free today.

Excellent

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I first heard about the story of the Czech SOE and the assassination of Heydrich through the movie Operation Daybreak. When I recently visited Prague, a local guide recommended that I visit the crypt, and see the museum. I was glad I did, as the exhibition on the background of the events is fantastic. This is then followed by a descent into the crypt itself, which leaves one in no doubt as to how the operatives must have felt when they were cornered following the assassination.
I would thoroughly recommend this place to anyone with an interest in the events of the war in Prague. Ironically, I would also recommend some tour guides providing free tours could benefit from a visit to the crypt too... after visiting the crypt, i took a tour of the castle with a company offering tours, and the knowledge of the tour guide was somewhat lacking with respect to the war time events in the city.

1  Thank Julwis