“Tucked Away and Lacks Real Atmosphere”
Review of U Bakalare

U Bakalare
Ranked #4,008 of 5,413 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Stare Mesto (Old Town)
Kent, United Kingdom
“Tucked Away and Lacks Real Atmosphere”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We dined here purely because I spotted salmon on the menu andI fancied something with 'oily fish' to add to my Omega 3!

The service was quick and friendly and there is a reasonably varied menu, even for someone like myself who is not a lover of Italian food. The food was tasty and neither if us had any problems with any of the items we ordered although my wife did comment that her penne quattro formaggi was pretty salty.

It's only a small resteraunt and whilst comfortable and well decorated it does lack somewhat in atmosphere. It could be just that we hit it at a quiet time, and I would imagine that if a group went in for a party you would have a good time.

The prices were very reasonable, especially given that it's just around the corner from the Old Town Square.

• Visited January 2014

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Delicious food at a good price”
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Very pleased we found this place but annoyed it was on our last day.
Great food and very tasty. Good service and a reasonable price compared to some of the places nearer the Square.
We will definitely return :)
Just be aware that it is cash only but there is an atm right outside which was handy at an awkward moment!
A hidden gem!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“not 2 shabby”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

went to this place by chance as we thought we were going into the place next door, when you go in it doesnt look like much. The napkins are actually folded up kitchen paper and my partner and i were like oh god what have we walked into. i had the soup for starter and my partner had a pizza we both had pasta for our mains. this place did it very basic but VERY well. i was extreamly happy with everything i was given and being a veggie that doesnt like veg i think they did a smashing job. its simple but its done right. not the nicest place to look at but the food was wonderful would 100% go back in my next visit to Prague.

• Visited December 2013
Surrey
“Ok, but there are nicer restaurants in the vicinity”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We ate here because we couldn't get a table in the restaurant next door and as it was pouring with rain we just went to the nearest place where we could get a table. The food was fine, I had the prawn risotto which was nice. Other members of the party ate pasta and pizzas and there were no complaints.
Service was ok, though nothing spectacular. We didn't appreciate having to ask for a key to use the toilet facilities which are downstairs and not very clean.
Overall average food and average service - we had better during our stay in Prague.

• Visited October 2013
London, Canada
“Good enough food, nice outdoor seating area”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My boyfriend and I ate here on our last night in Prague. We sat on the skinny patio outside and it was nice to just sit and people watch late in the evening. The food was alright, I didn't have any problems with it, but it obviously wasn't the best Italian I've ever had. It was good enough, and the portions were big. The bathrooms were a bit of a different story. You had to go into this creepy basement kind of area, with a key to open them up. They were dark and dingy, they weren't filthy or anything awful, just kind of worn down and creepy, especially when you're a woman going down there alone. Didn't like that much. Overall we had a fine experience, but nothing to write home about.

• Visited August 2013