“Shady place. No wonder we were the only ones there :(”
Review of Ve Stare Radnici

Ve Stare Radnici
Ranked #4,601 of 5,808 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: European, Czech
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: Hradčany & Letná
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We arrived in Praugue, tired and hungry. This place was just down from our hotel. Looked cute inside so we tried it. Our first clue should have been no prices on the shabby menu. Waitress not very attentive. Anything tastes good when you are hungry. Sure had sticker shock when the bill came. Upon conversion the charge was about $120.00 canadian for a passable meal. I don't mind paying for really good food but this was rediculous. They obviously have no morals. Buyer beware and stay away!!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

A truly terrible restaurant, close to Prague castle, The first warning sign was that there was no proper priced menu outside the restaurant, but a blackboard advertising cheap all-in lunch menu. Inside the only menu on the table was pictures of dishes with no prices on. I asked for a priced menu which was provided and was quite expensive but not ridiculous.

We ordered two dishes and a large beer (this turned out to be one litre and was priced at 120Kr which, again was expensive-ish but not silly for a tourist area).

There was a small bowl on each table with about 10 stale crisps in, which we ate while waiting. A basket of bread was brought.

The meals were not terrible, but not fantastic. The trouble came when we asked for the bill which came to 1,200 Kr (I had reckoned about 700 in my mind).

This was because 1. They charged 45 for the stale crisps 2. They charged 100 or something for the bread. 3. ALL the prices for food and drink were vastly higher than had been shown on the menu.

When I asked for the menu to check, a completely different (higher) set of prices were shown and strangely the original menu I had seen was nowhere to be seen! I have read about variou restaurant scams but not this one.

A serious shouting match ensued, me trying to upset as many other customers as possible. One of the more "embarrassed" staff agreed to knock some money off where I could actually recall the original prices and we ended up paying the revised bill with the waiter summing up by effectively saying we should expect to be cheated if we ate in a tourist area!

It did not spoil our hol but left us feeling somewhat cynical about the scummier side of Prague locals. Following that, I found myself taking a photo of the menu for future reference, but everywhere else we ate was absolutely straight.

On another Prague-scam matter, I understand that money changing shops exist primarily to cheat people - have they not got some sort of trading standards organisation that can simply close down these thieving c**ts?

2  Thank James B
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We just finished touring the castle and were making our way to our hotel at the bottom of the steps. The waitress invited us in enticing us with their "special" and since we knew we would be eating within an hour or so we agreed to take a table. They asked if we wanted drinks. My husband ordered a beer and I got hot chocolate (something we've ordered multiple times on this trip) this place didn't show us a price list and they charged 4x as much!!! There was a hair in the butter, the chips on the table have a charge and when I saw 2 guys leave the chips remained. The menu has no prices and the images do not resemble what comes to the table. The vegetable soup had a tangy taste. I heard a ding (I assume a microwave) moments before our soup and pancakes arrived. The pork knuckle was dry. I told my husband that I was going to count how long it took me to chew it-I lost count. Furthermore, pancakes should not taste like that. Mostly, I'm just mad at myself for wasting a perfectly good meal at this establishment. Didn't have internet to check trip advisor and sadly, I'm afraid others won't either.

2  Thank ukaylastl
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stumbled in here for lunch while visiting Prague Castle (it's more or less the first one you come across), but forgot to look it up on TripAdvisor until AFTER I'd ordered. Slight panic on reading all the critical reviews, but at least I avoided some of the tricks they use to bump up the bill.

In fact, I thought it was fine - I paid 350CZK for three courses and a beer, which is par for the course in tourist Prague. A tasty soup, large serving of beef goulash and dumplings, and pancakes. There seemed to be locals eating there, not just tourists (though possibly the locals get a different rate).

If you're going to eat here, follow these rules:
- Get the three course set menu
- Get a small drink (and check how much it costs before ordering)
- be prepared for a 50CZK cover charge
- DON'T eat any of the crisps they put on the table (50CZK penalty if you do)
- DON'T eat any of the bread (another 50CZK)
- only leave a tip if you're completely satisfied

Reviewed 1 January 2014

In short: avoid this place! The only good thing you can say is it's location. Unfriendly staff, crapy food and all of this for extremely high prices (not listed in menu).

3  Thank Arek S