“Tourist trap!!!”

Cuisines: European, Czech
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighbourhood: Hradcany & Letna
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Lived in Prague, visited many times and should have checked the menu! Ordered 4 coffees and 4 Becherovka, the local "shot". The normal price of one Becherovka is 40 to 60 Czech crowns but here we were charged 180 Czech crowns for one!Together 720 for 4 which we asked about. Incredibly overcharged but the waiter just shrugged his shoulders and put the money in his wallet. No till??

1  Thank 363Bibbi

Reviewed 2 June 2014

As all the previous reviewers have said, a complete and utter RIP-OFF. Plenty of other restaurants in the area, just beware of this one.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

In short i can say that they try to rip you off. We had a soup at the price of the whole meal we had yesterday. Don't go near it.

1  Thank Zaferovski
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We arrived in Praugue, tired and hungry. This place was just down from our hotel. Looked cute inside so we tried it. Our first clue should have been no prices on the shabby menu. Waitress not very attentive. Anything tastes good when you are hungry. Sure had sticker shock when the bill came. Upon conversion the charge was about $120.00 canadian for a passable meal. I don't mind paying for really good food but this was rediculous. They obviously have no morals. Buyer beware and stay away!!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

A truly terrible restaurant, close to Prague castle, The first warning sign was that there was no proper priced menu outside the restaurant, but a blackboard advertising cheap all-in lunch menu. Inside the only menu on the table was pictures of dishes with no prices on. I asked for a priced menu which was provided and was quite expensive but not ridiculous.

We ordered two dishes and a large beer (this turned out to be one litre and was priced at 120Kr which, again was expensive-ish but not silly for a tourist area).

There was a small bowl on each table with about 10 stale crisps in, which we ate while waiting. A basket of bread was brought.

The meals were not terrible, but not fantastic. The trouble came when we asked for the bill which came to 1,200 Kr (I had reckoned about 700 in my mind).

This was because 1. They charged 45 for the stale crisps 2. They charged 100 or something for the bread. 3. ALL the prices for food and drink were vastly higher than had been shown on the menu.

When I asked for the menu to check, a completely different (higher) set of prices were shown and strangely the original menu I had seen was nowhere to be seen! I have read about variou restaurant scams but not this one.

A serious shouting match ensued, me trying to upset as many other customers as possible. One of the more "embarrassed" staff agreed to knock some money off where I could actually recall the original prices and we ended up paying the revised bill with the waiter summing up by effectively saying we should expect to be cheated if we ate in a tourist area!

It did not spoil our hol but left us feeling somewhat cynical about the scummier side of Prague locals. Following that, I found myself taking a photo of the menu for future reference, but everywhere else we ate was absolutely straight.

On another Prague-scam matter, I understand that money changing shops exist primarily to cheat people - have they not got some sort of trading standards organisation that can simply close down these thieving c**ts?

2  Thank James B