“One of our Best Hotel Experiences Ever!”

Le Palais Art Hotel Prague
Ranked #42 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 24 March 2008

I have never felt the urge to write a hotel review before (despite hundreds of stays for pleasure and business), but our experience at Le Palais was so tremendously positive that I feel compelled to share it with other travelers.

First, my e-mail exchanges with Tereza (reservations manager) in advance of our trip were informative, courteous and remarkably prompt, notwithstanding the time difference.

Second, upon check in, we were generously upgraded to the Balcony Suite, an absolutely beautiful and huge suite, exceptionally well furnished and appointed in all aspects (including Bulgari bathroom products, heated bathroom floor, and even complimentary mini bar!).

We took advantage of the brand new spa, which was tranquil and refreshing, and my wife and I had a couples massage with two terrific and extremely pleasant masseuses.

The complimentary full breakfast had everything one could ask for--from fresh squeezed juices, to an excellent selection of pastries and breads, to every kind of hot breakfast imaginable. Dinner at the restaurant was nothing short of haute cuisine--flawlessly prepared, highest quality food.

Perhaps more important than all of the above, however, was that the service from everyone we encountered at the hotel (guest relations manager, reception, doormen, concierge, bellmen, waiters, spa, etc.) was absolutely impeccable--surpassing even Four Seasons level, which is no easy task. In fact, on the subject of Four Seasons, we had initially booked to stay at the Four Seasons Prague, and--in part because of reviews on this site--changed our reservation to stay at Le Palais. Having experienced Le Palais, and having popped into the Four Seasons while walking around Prague, we were absolutely thrilled that we selected Le Palais.

In short, our stay there ranks among the two or three best hotel experiences we have ever had, and I would recommend it unreservedly to other travelers.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DFG7

Reviewed 21 March 2008

very nice hotel ! I spend a nicely week end in end of august. everything that you can expect from a 5 star hotel ... and even more !

for exemple :

- the mini bar is free and has a large range of selection !
- the staff is always here to help you when you need.
- the staff is so friendly
- they think about all the details.
- the breakfast is perfect ! fresh, and nicely presented with some suggestion menu...
- clean and calm...
- ... etc ... etc...

to finish I'll say that the price is very low compare to the quality !

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2008

This is a good hotel but I don't know if it's quite at the superluxury end of the market that some seem to think it is

Good points first:

Very friendly and helpful check in staff, bar staff, spa staff
Lovely views from the restuarant
Very nice spa, sauna and steam room facilities
free, if limited, minibar

But then I would expect things like this from a 5 star hotel

Bad points
It's far from the action - even the metro is 10 mins walk
Breakfast staff don't seem to know or care what's going on - I asked for something and it never arrived, and I wasnt alone in this. It's 3 star service at best, certainly not five star, and the food itself isnt that exciting either
Rooms are not very big - perhaps the suites are bigger but the standard rooms are quite cramped for a 5 star hotel
TV options also poor - no movie channels, only BBC world and CNN on TV - admittedly movies can be obtained from reception, but it seems odd
Internet is very expensive - unnecessarily so in such a cheap city - why not have complementary wireless for guests?
Little things which I would take for granted in a 5 star are missing - conditioner in the bathrooms and in the Spa changing areas, dental kits etc
I also had a problem when I paid as I booked in Euro but had to pay in Czech currency - when I checked my credit card statement the amount was higher than I thought it should have been. The hotel said this was Visa's problem for using a different exchange rate, but in a nutshell I was charged an extra 50 euro for not having paid in cash.

Le Palais does a lot of things very very well but to my mind it doesnt live up to many of the other Tripadvisor reviews.

2  Thank jvr1980
Reviewed 18 February 2008

My wife and I are just back from a long weekend in lovely Prague. Some general tips first; if you are going in wintertime bring warm clothes (hat, scarf, long underwear etc), zero degrees feels like minus twenty in Prague. Book a guide (for instance try [--]. The site is Norwegian but you can see the number on the first page. Peter, the guide is half czeck and very knowledgeable. Then to the review. We booked this hotel based on the marvelous reviews found here and got disappointed. Not in terms of staff and service which is first class but the hotel needs refurbishing. The furniture and carpeting are tired and stained. Our room was so sprayed with airfresher/perfume that we had to air out for the whole day to manage to sleep there. Its also so far from the historic sites that you have to go by taxi for ten minutes. A relevant metro stop is a short ten minute on foot away. We had a massage treatment in the Pure Spa which was fantastic. Recently refurbished and wonderful. The relax area was fair enough but quite small and hadn't been upgraded like the rest of the spa. Its unisex. Some people in swimsuits, some nude. We paid Eur 250 per night for a superior room which was quite small to be frank. We were greeted by a half bottle of Bohemian sparkling at arrival and the minibar is free - both very nice gestures. To conclude we got tired of taxirides to town and got curious about alternative hotels so we checked out the Four Seasons which is right by Charles bridge. It was 15 Eur less! No free minibar but still... Seemed like a nobrainer to move. We were not let down by the FS. See my other review of that. The Palais is quite simply grossly overpriced.

5  Thank pickyman2
Reviewed 18 February 2008

Was expecting better after reading other reviews and checking out hotel website. Nothing was really 'wrong' but equally I didn't feel a 'wow' factor.

Breakfast was a shambles, you could wait up to 15 minutes to be seated, even though the restaurant was half empty, you would then wait for the staff to clear/set the tables - not what one expects at a 5* hotel.

It is also a real hike to the center, this didn't create to many issues for us, but do be prepared for a 20 minute walk - and that us at a brisk pace!!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2008

The reviews of this place are so good that we felt they couldn't be true. But they are! Went to Prague for a Valentine's Day break and stayed four nights here. Booked a basic deal at a good rate on Expedia and then upgraded through e-mails with the hotel.

The "Executive" room deal afforded us a splendid big room and marble bathroom with underfloor heating that was a treat when Prague was so cold out. We also had free wifi for the laptops and a free minibar to pillage. I loved the comfy big bed too.

Everyone with whom we interacted gave great service. If we had any quibble about anything, it was attended to immediately with a smile. We could easily access the hotel's Merc and driver for trips about town, at a good price, and that was handy in a very hilly city in cold weather. It was particularly handy when our flight arrived two hours late and transport straight to a warm and cosy bed was waiting.

We ate in the hotel one night and were very happy with the food and extremely happy with waiting staff. Other nights we ate out and the concierge managed hard-to-get reservations for us. I'm a bit embarrassed to be enthusing so unreservedly but I liked this hotel a lot!

Prague was great too, btw.

2  Thank dglambeth
Reviewed 31 January 2008

Have stayed in Le Palais for 4 nights in December for the 2nd time. We've arranged with the hotel to be collected from the airport and booked Merc 200, but had a brand new and spacious Mercedes mini bus waiting for us despite our flight was slightly delayed. After a warm welcome at the reception we were taken to our room, and what a pleasant suprise ! After booking a standart room we were upgraded to a Royal Suite, as we were the second time visitors and the Leaders Club members !
Everything was simply perrrfect, the most friendly and helfull staff, excellent breakfast, every evening we were getting a little presents, some sweets etc. It was my wife's birthday on one of the days we've stayed, and had a lovely birthday card and a bottle of sparkling in the morning delivered to our room while we were away for breakfast. Would I choose Le Palais again - absolutely no doubt ! HIGHLY recommended.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple