“Superb hotel”

Le Palais Art Hotel Prague
Ranked #42 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 7 September 2008

I stayed for 4 nights at Le Palais Hotel in Prague. Very comfortable rooms, good restaurant, superb and very pleasant service. A few minutes from the nearest metro but a very minor drawback.

Reviewed 6 August 2008

I stayed at this hotel over Christmas of 2006 for 5 nights. I have travelled around Europe, America and Asia and this is still one of my favorite hotels of all time. It has a luxury boutique feel with friendly staff that I've found really go out of their way to make your stay special.

We stayed in a standard room which had a very comfortable bed, a huge tub with TV/radio speakers in the bathroom and a mini bar that was included in the price and stocked every day. Each night when we returned to the room, the bed was turned down with slippers out and the room was freshened up.

The location is a little bit out of the way, but if you want to explore the city or it's not your first visit than it's not a problem. There is a good tram service, taxis are pretty cheap and you are still walking distance to restaurants near by. If your priority is the hotel, this is the place. If your priority is location, consider staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ambrit
Reviewed 2 August 2008

Reading reviews of this hotel before my stay, there were mixed comments, particulalrly in relation to the breakfasts and location of this hotel but it surpassed my expectations in both respects and in many others, too.

Firstly the location. Yes, it is out of the centre but that is a real plus in my view. Prague is very overcrowded with tourists and to be able to return to this quiet area was a real benefit and it is not that far from the centre of town. Public transport is excellent and easy to use and the nearest tram spot is two or three minutes walk from the hotel and the nearest metro station five to ten minutes walk. Unless you are really infirm you'll have no problem with this. One night I returned to the hotel at 2 am and had no trouble getting back on the night tram, which stopped at the metro station. From here it was an easy and safe walk back to Le Palais.

The breakfasts - an excellent buffet, plus you can order a cooked breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausages etc, all included in the B and B price. The service was friendly and prompt - absolutely no complaints here.

My room, a standard double, was spacious and comfortable with high ceilings and a wonderful bathroom. View was nothing to speak of but then you can get all the views you want by going into the City itself. Room amenities were all you would require and I did not require free Internet access. The free mini-bar was replenished daily and was a nice touch.

For me the highlight of this hotel was the Spa and Fitness Centre. I must say I am not usually into such things but this one had a wow factor that would take me back to the hotel again and again. Used the gym, whirlpool and saunas every morning (included in the price) and had the place to myself. On the last day, feeling rather lethargic after lots of sight-seeing, I decided to go for a pre-departure treatment in the Spa. Wish I had done this earlier. I told them just what I needed, i.e. to be envigorated and not relaxed and this is precisely what happened. Having had massage treatments in other centres, I have never been that convinced of their efificacy but by this I was totally won over. It lasted just half and hour but I felt the benefits for days afterwards. If only I could fly to Prague every weekend, I'd be a new man! Not that cheap but worth every Czech crown.

On the subject of money, Prague is not cheap for UK visitors at the moment. The exchange rate is really down so forget cheap Eastern European prices - it is just as expensive as London, in some cases more so. Hoping for cheap music - not a bit of it: one hour choral concert in a Church £25, cheapest seat at the Opera - £45. Also, be very careful about changing your money. First time I did it I was ripped off. Many of the bureaus have boards displaying what seem to be very favourable rates but these rates only apply if you exchange the equivalent of over £1000-£1500. This is written in small letters in Czech and if you don't ask ( and the first time I didn't) you will be caught out. A nasty experience and one which overshadowed my short stay. Next time I will do the exchange here in the UK before I depart.

Reastaurants are also expensive - having had my fill of Czech cusine very quickly, I went somewhere more upmarket and found that a two course lunch with one glass of wine cost £60 per head.

All in all, the hotel is very good - perhaps it does not have that something extra that defines real five star but very good none-the-less and I'd go back for the Spa alone. Prague - very crowded and touristy and on top of that very expensive. Excellent and easily negotiated transport system. I wonder if visiting would be a different experience in the winter?

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2008

This boutique hotel is a gem that shines with excellent service, lovely rooms and a staff that knows how to make guests feel special and well taken care of. Transfer service from the airport in a black Mercedes and courteous driver starts the stay off right.

We stayed in a spacious and elegant balcony suite which
tempts guests to spend more time in the room and less time sightseeing! We also enjoyed the attentive and convivial service in the restaurant.

Before breakfast, treat yourself to a perfect espresso from the Nespresso machine. Espresso on the balcony,early morning Prague just can't be beat.

Prague is a pedestrian friendly city. Walking from Le Palais to the city center is easy for those who are accustomed to walking. The National Museum is only 10-15 minutes away and the heart of the city is, literally, down the hill from there.

Stay here and be prepared to be spoiled.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AllSeven
Reviewed 14 July 2008

We had a delightful couple of days at Le Palais, with a good deal that included transfers, a splendid tasting menu dinner, a couple of short massages and welcome drinks. Champagne was also provided for my wife's birthday. The hotel is compact but almost perfect in every respect. Staff are charming and extremely helpful. The terrace, with its views of the city, is great for an evening drink. The only gripe with the hotel is its overpriced spirits in the bar - though this is a common feature of Prague hotels these days. And the location is not great for walking about. But for a couple of days luxury hotel break, it is hard to beat.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank bristolreviewer
Reviewed 10 July 2008

I stayed at this hotel for roughly two weeks while in Prague for business in the Fall of 2007. The lobby area is absolutely lovely, although not intimidating. The staff were friendly and helpful and the concierge staff could arrnage anything like tours, cars, tickets, etc., at a moments notice. My room was lovely bright and large with beautiful large windows and an ornate marble bathroom. Food was generally very good but expensive.

Drivers that the hotel provided were always polite and professional. While not cheap, I found it certainly worth its money.

• Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed 16 June 2008

My wife and I stayed here twice. The first time was two nights in May 2007 booked through Expedia. The second time was an unplanned stay in December 2007 - our flight from Prague to Heathrow was cancelled and we stayed at out travel insurers expense.

The rooms are extraordinarily comfortably furnished and a real pleasure to settle down into. The bar and library are quite initimate and well designed. As an added bonus the bar is open for drinks and snacks 24hrs.

The service is nothing short of excellent. The breakfast is brilliant with a wide choice and you also get a well stocked inclusive mini-bar.

Don't be put off by the location out of the centre. A short tram ride or modest walk has you right back in the centre of things. The location in Vinohrady is primarily residential but there are many many places close by where you can eat and drink well for a fraction of the price you would pay in the centre and it's a very quiet neighbourhood. No street noise here.

There is a stunning view from the terrace and a creditable fine dining restaurant.
Le Palais deserves its high rating.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple