“Less than impressed and will never return”

InterContinental Prague
Ranked #97 of 651 Hotels in Prague
Sydney
“Less than impressed and will never return”
Reviewed 20 June 2011

There is one thing going for this hotel and that is the location, as for the staff, accommodation, meals and service I will never stay at this hotel again. The check in staff are not warm accommodating or friendly, in fact on checkout they are quite rude. Being an ambassador Intercontinental member I used the club lounge one morning for breakfast and the food that was served can only be described as pathetic and no variety. The hotel does not offer any currency changing service and instructs you to walk a good 500 metres along the road to an exchange service with lower than expected exchange rates. Whilst I realise this is my fault for not reading my bill correctly because I was in a hurry to leave, I later found out that I was charged for a room upgrade which was never explained on check in or asked for, and I was also charged twice for the internet service which is suppose to be free to ambassador members. And to top off this wonderful experience I was also charged 2000 czech crowns to park my car for 2 days, a complete and utter ripoff. This hotel and it's staff are geared to rip as much money out of its guests as possible and I guess we are suppose to be grateful for the experience, well not me.
I stay in hotels 3 months of the year in all parts of the world on business and I know what is good value and what is not, and this hotel is not. Dear Petra, before you reply with one of your banal generic responses about how you will try to improve, blah blah blah, don't waste your time. If you don't come back to me with a refund on the overcharges that you shouldn't have billed me for, I will be writing to your superiors and making a formal complaint about this hotel and the staff.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank Wozza62
PRGHA, Manager at InterContinental Prague, responded to this review, 28 June 2011
Thank you for commenting on TripAdvisor, your e-mail and feedback regarding your recent stay at the InterContinental Prague.
I would like to clarify and explain all Your mentioned comments:
Your reservation was made through the on-line booking system for the Executive King room but as Gold Ambassador Member you had got automatically the free upgrade into next room category - in this case to Junior Suite nr. 707.
In the time of the booking you tick the Club Lounge access option at (EUR 39 /day) which you had confirmed. This charge was the CZK 1.916 on your bill.
Free Internet option is available only for Ambassador Members who book the Best Flexible Rate but your rate was the Weekend Option. For more information regarding the Ambassador free internet conditions please see: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/intercontinental/en/gb/amb/offers/internet-offer
As a Gold Ambassador member you are entitled to those benefits in the hotel:
• Guaranteed room upgrade into next category • Fresh fruit and mineral water upon arrival • 4 p.m. late check-out • Complimentary Pay TV film per stay • Instant Check-Out The parking fee of CZK 1.000 per day is the fixed price, already discounted, and fully competitive with other city center prices. If you are not a guest of the hotel, the daily charge is CZK 2.400 (CZK 100 per hour).
Regarding the Front Desk staff - Mr. Petr Vodicka, Front Office Manager, has already taken all the steps regarding the retraining and on-job training of the Reception Desk employees to avoid any similar inconveniences to our guests.
I would like to inform that the complete correspondence was sent to Ambassador Office for future reference.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 20 June 2011

The breakfast was excellent and the contrary to previous reviews omelets are readily available at no extra charge. The rooms are small but well-appointed as they were built shortly after the velvet revolution of 1989. The bathrooms are also quite small but the wood work inside the hotel is quite interesting even if the exterior architecture is ugly. The real problem is the internet charge. The Internet charge is 490 CZK per day which at 16 CZK per dollar is about $30.00. An hourly rate is available but if you use only 10 minutes of the hourly rate it is not cumulative and 2 hours later it is another 290 CZK or $18.00. There is a three day rate of 1190 CZK but even so this is still very expensive. You may be able to negotiate a better rate if you are staying there for several days and your meeting has Internet access paid for by the sponsor. There is no wireless in the room and they have an even more expensive rate if you need very high speed. The public relations person who responds to Trip Advisor reviews is very responsive and professional .However be careful. A charge of about $15.00 may be on your bill if you decide to call her since she is evidently out of the hotel and there is no way to know that when you asked to be connected to her. The front desk actually called the number on my bill and then removed the charge.
The bar restaurant is both expensive and the food is not very good. A hamburger was 450 CZK or approximately $30.00 and was tasteless .The meat was heavily compressed and had no texture. I would suggest going out of the hotel to eat where there are numerous reasonably priced and excellent restaurants within a few 100 yards
The restaurant directly facing the hotel with a large orange awning is an excellent Italian restaurant with good pizza of and pasta.
I would also suggest La Gare , a French brasserie, near the first stop of the hop on hop off bus from the Old Town Square.
The Best surprise was the Terrace restaurant at the Four Seasons Hotel. The view of the river is excellent and the service was superb. While the prices are higher, they provided two surprise courses at no charge. The desserts at the end of the meal which they provided for free were spectacular. They also provided a small course at the beginning of the meal which was a delightful tasting. I suggest you go there for a light meal and then the to the organ concert at Saint Francis church down the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view upgrade!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank celebrationtiger
PRGHA, Manager at InterContinental Prague, responded to this review, 27 June 2011
Thank you for your feedback and your comments shared on TripAdvisor.
The hotel was opened in 1974 and built in the style called Brutalism. InterContinental Prague hotel is historically listed and protected building.
The internet prices are fully competitive on the Prague market. The wireless internet is available in the lobby bar and the lobby itself. During the consumption in Duke’s Bar and Café (not valid for the extended breakfast during busy periods) you can get free WIFI access valid for 1 hour.
If you call me and the call is being transferred to my mobile phone the charge is always removed from your bill upon check-out when you appoint that.
Your comments regarding the taste of hamburger were shared with our Executive Chef who has reviewed the quality of the meet and the preparation procedure.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 June 2011

very comfortable hotel with wonderful facilities
we spent 4 nights here and took 2 with breakfast. It was a mistake not to have breakfast included as Prague is slow to start in the morning and we walked for miles to find a simple place to have coffee and cake.
We had a lovely room and the service was excellent.
one day it rained non-stop and we were coming down from the castle. There were no busses going our way and empty taxi's would not stop when hailed. suddenly I saw one of the hotel's fleet riding by and managed to stop him. I was only going to ask if he could help and he took us all the way back for no charge. I think he was going back anyway but he was a real miracle to us and it is a demonstration of how the hotel does want to provide super service.
we also made good use of the pool and gym which are all new and very luxurious. In particular separate sauna suites for men and women were very civilized.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for commenting on TripAdvisor. I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
Volos, Greece
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Prague is a dreamy city and the best way to explore it is on foot. This hotel is ideally located in the center of the old town just a couple of blocks away from the famous clock. We really enjoyed our stay there because the hotel was so close to all the sights that whenever we felt tired we could go back, rest and then go out again. The staff was polite and professional but not warm but I guess it has to do with the Chech temperament What a great way to begin your day in the world's most romantic city

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
PRGHA, Manager at InterContinental Prague, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
Thank you for your positive comments. I am happy you have enjoyed your stay with us particularly the central location of the hotel. Yes, you are right - Czech people are not so temperament as southern nations but are very accurate and polite. We are looking forward to your next visit.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I was there with my wife and a group of family friends. When we check in after a long fright from NYC, and the front desk can only gave us one room and we have to wait till around 3pm. The young gentleman at the front desk was very un-cooperative and rude. He said he has a full house on that day. I was surprised to find such a service at intercon.
We had one small room which we had paid for as deluxe room and the other 2 are big and roomy. The hotel and rooms looks tired which some attention but the breakfast is very good and the bell services are excellent.
I shall not check in this hotel again because of the front desk personnel. I plan to be back to Prague again which is a beautiful city but will definitely stay in Four Seasons which is beautiful.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
PRGHA, Manager at InterContinental Prague, responded to this review, 9 June 2011
Thank you for your constructive feedback. Prague is the great destination offering a lot of possibilities and I am happy that you have enjoyed our location. We do appreciate your comments regarding the service as there is always the opportunity to improve.
Regarding your comments related to our Reception desk service I would be interested in more detailed information, pelase contact me on petra.kazdova@whgeu.com. Thank you.
Koblenz, Germany
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My family and I had a great stay at the Intercontinental Prague, It was our first trip to Prague and friends recommend the Intercontinental to us. The location next to the Moldau and the old town were just perfect for our weekend trip as we could discover the old town, the jewesh quater, Karl's bridge, the town house and many other things within walking distance.

Our room was quite large and we had a nice view. The only thing that we didn't liked was the design of the restaurant, it looked quite old fashioned. Nevertheless we fully recommend this hotel to everybody who can afford a 5*hotel and I think nearly everybody travelling to Prague can afford it as the prices are rather low compared to Paris, Barcelona, London or other major european cities.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ilovesonyalpha
I am thankful for your valuable comments. Prague is the great destination offering a lot of possibilities and I am happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us and our location has been appreciated at the same time.
Regarding your comments related to our restuarant design I would be interested in more detailed information, pelase contact me on petra.kazdova@whgeu.com. Thank you.
Kimberton PA
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Nice hotel in great location.

Food was really awful. The attendees at our meeting gave it 2 out of 10 for food. Breakfast is included but has only sunny side up eggs and caters heavily to Japanese with typical Asian items for breakfast. We complained about the food and it got worse. One lunch they served us white fish, plain white potatoes, white rice, dried out plain chicken breast with white cheese sauce and plain pasta. The chef was acting out because we disliked his sweet marinara sauce and other inedible food.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Kimberton
We do appreciate your comments regarding the food quality as there is always the opportunity to improve. I hope you give us another opportunity during your next stay.