“Classic and Luxurious”

Ranked #92 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Toronto
“Classic and Luxurious”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

The Intercontinental chain never disappoints, and the Prague Hotel was a fine example. Despite the vintage exterior and some features, the quality of the rooms and service was excellent. The location is superb - close to the Old Market Square and the Charles Bridge, and of course, walking along Parizi Street with great shops and restaurants. The gym is professional, attached to a health club, and is free for hotel guests. Duke's Bar is a charming place for an after dinner drink or a cosy lunch, and the breakfast buffet was extensive. In our room, we loved the individual quilts, the free wi-fi, and all the other little extras. Many rooms overlook the river. I think the Intercontinental Prague is worth a stay, for the location convenience, classic European attitude, and modern comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
PRGHA, Manager at InterContinental Prague, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Dear AnnfromToronto,
thank your very much for your positive feedback on tripadvisor.
Maybe you would not believe it, but actually our building, especially because of the outside appearance is protected from the local heritage department as one of the best samples showing the architecture style of brutalism.
But you are right that our location is one of the best assets we have, since from our hotel you can walk almost everywhere. Furthermore even you can see all major sights from our wonderful roof top terrace belonging to our restaurant Zlata Praha.
I hope to see you again in Prague.
Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Killeen, Texas
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We stayed at the InterContinental during Christmas while we were visting Prague. First, despite some of the comments below, our experience was excellent. I think the comments about cleanliness were an anomaly because the hotel and our room were both very clean. The staff was very courteous and helpful with any questions we had to include our reception and departure from the hotel. They were also very prompt and helpful with an issue I had with my booking ammenities (free parking). Although it wasn't in my reservation, I only had to print out my receipt showing that it was included and the issue was resolved with no hassle.

The location of the hotel is almost perfect. You are only minutes away from Old Town and the Charles Bridge and just a little bit further (with an uphill walk) from the Prague Castle and St. Vitus. To be honest, we were delighted at how close the hotel was to everything. The beds were very comfortable and we had no issues with our sleep comfort. We had a standard room and it was more than spacious enough for everything we had.

The value of the room was terrific. I say this because we had free parking included in our reservation (which can be $50 a night if we didn't have it). Another great perk is the internet is free (up to 256K which is more than adequate for checking email and browsing most internet sites). If you want higher bandwidth it is available for a fee although most will not need it.

Probably the only negative aspects were the cost for breakfast (about $21 per person) and the parking had I actually had to pay ($50 per night). We didn't get anything from the minibar but anyone who has stayed in any hotel knows the minibar is incredibly overpriced at every hotel. There are a number of very good restaurants around the area so food was never a true concern.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel. It is a great hotel (staff, cleanliness, service) in a terrific location in Prague. When we decide to visit Prague again, I won't hesitate to stay at the InterContinental.

Room Tip: We were there to get out and explore so we didn't really care about a room with a view. However...
Dear Kenny P,
thank you so much for investing your precious time to write such a great detailed feedback on tripadvisor about the InterContinental Prague.
Especially that you mention your excellent experiences with our staff make me and the management proud to work with our colleagues. The hotel staff can make the difference.
Since you decided to come back to Prague I hope you will come this time in summer to enjoy our wonderful restaurant Zlata Praha on the top floor with a terrace, where you can enjoy probably the best view in town.
best regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Great location right on the river and only a few minutes walk from the main square. I've stayed on a number of occasions during the past few years and always found it to be a clean and comfortable business hotel though rooms in need of refurb. Service can be a little patchy.

Room Tip: River view is the pick
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear Glen B,
thank you very much for your loyalty over past years. I am very happy to read that you are in general very happy with our hotel. On the other hand I can assure you that we continously work to improve our service.
I hope to see you soon again in our wonderful city.
With kind regards
Pacific Palisades. CA
Reviewed 26 December 2012

We have never stayed in a hotel as poorly maintained as this one. The rooms are never properly cleaned. You don't want to walk barefoot on the carpets they are so disgusting. Thankfully we only stayed 2 nights. When out sightseeing, we came back to the room with my husbands beard hair from his morning shave still in the bathroom sink. It's just disgusting. Stay elsewhere. Also, in general, Prague restaurants still allow smoking. So gross, it makes one not want to eat. Even in the hotel lobby, people are smoking first thing in the morning and you must walk past them to get to the horrible buffet breakfast area. This area is dirty and the food is awful.

Do not stay here. The beds are hard. It is just horrible.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Laura T
PRGHA, Manager at InterContinental Prague, responded to this review, 27 December 2012
Dear Laura T,
thank you very much for your feedback on tripadvisor. I am actually pretty surprised about your negative impression of the cleanliness in the hotel. Especially cleanliness is mentioned on this webpage several times as a big plus of our hotel. But I can assure you that we still take your feedback serious and we will work hard with our room maids that situations like you experienced will not happen again.
You are absolutely right when you write that smoking is still very common in all hotels and all restaurants Czech Republic. Still we keep our breakfast restaurant Primator and our Restaurant on the top floor Zlata Praha completely non-smoking. There is only a small part of our hotel bar where smoking is allowed. The Czech Republic is moving slower in direction completely non-smoking than most of the other countries. But I am sure this will change soon.
I still hope we will get another chance from you to show you that we can do much better. Please contact me directly, if there is anything I can do for you. My e-mail address is oliver.geyer@icprague.com.
ΑΘΗΝΑ
Reviewed 25 December 2012 via mobile

I have been to most of the intercontinental hotels in eastern europe.as i expected the hotel was great.
starting from the breakfast there was a big variety from almost everything and the personnel was trying to do everything so nobody stays unhappy.
Moreover the room was cleaned twice a day and the service there was also very good although my room was a bit small for this kind of hotel.
The location is fantastic,just a few minutes walking from the old town square,no need for taxi or metro.
The king size bed was again great and one last thing but very important for some of us,the cappuccino and all the coffees at the breakfast were also free!i was a bit surprised with this because we usually pay for this coffee.
I would suggest to come and stay to this hotel,it is worth it!for me one of the best.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear nikos_sam,
thank you so much for your great feedback. Especially that you rate us amongst your favorite hotels makes me proud.
The available coffee machines with several coffee specialities is actually a new feature which we implemented during our complete renovation of the breakfast restaurant in March this year. Together with a new great variety of food we are able to cater hopefully all needs.
I really hope that you will come back.
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 22 December 2012

When we arrived at the hotel, we proceeded to the front desk to check in. We were not greeted by the gentleman at the front desk. He did not smile and didn't welcome us to the hotel. The next afternoon my sister and I went to the Dukes Bar and went to the bar counter. The waiter/bartender was mixing drinks so we sat down and waited. He saw us sit down, but did not acknowledge us at all. He continued to make his drink orders and disregarded us. He didn't say a single word to us. After 5 minutes of waiting in front of him, I asked him if I could get a cup of coffee from his bar. He replied, "you have to sit down." We went to sit down and he went to serve the other tables. I figured it was a busy afternoon, so what's the rush I'm on vacation. As we waited, 2 couples walked in and sat at a table and the waiter/bartender came from behind the counter to get their orders. We waited for a good 10 minutes and still no service. We are not pleased at all and left Dukes. On our way back to the room, I asked the front desk agent If I could get a map, and he sighed out loudly, rolled his eyes went to get the map, dropped it at the front desk and walked away. Prague is such a beautiful city, but lacks in their friendliness and hospitality department.

3 Thank DaphneA297
Dear Daphne A,
thank you very much for your honest feedback. The service behaviour you experienced during your stay with us in several areas is certainly not acceptable at all. I can assure you that we will make sure that this will not happen again.
I would be very happy, if you could contact me directly in case you wish to share even more details or if you would plan another trip to Prague to show you that we can do much better than you experienced. My e-mail adress is oliver.geyer@icprague.com.
Tela-Aviv
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Very nice hotel , most recommended , great location, close to all city attractions.
The hotel location is also very convince especially for Jewish travelers since it located close to the Jewish neighborhood ,
Also very close to the palace area and the beautiful gardens , by walking distance about 30 min, bring you to the palace area.
Enjoy the life fox..
Sas

Room Tip: most is the view to the river, but also the street view is nice as you see from the attached picture...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear sassi g,
thank you very much for sharing your experiences on tripadvisor. You absolutely right that maybe our location is the best in town. Actually everything is in walking distance.
I hope you will come another time back in the winter to enjoy the other side of Prague, when the city is beautifully aluminated during the holiday season and New Year!