“Prague Intercontinental” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #101 of 670 Hotels in Prague
New York City, New York
“Prague Intercontinental”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is a clean nice hotel. Consider this a good 4 star hotel. They have a nice Buffet breakfast so take that option when making your reservations. The rooftop bar is nice with a good view. Ask for a room with a river view since it adds to your experience. If the upgrade to a larger room is offered (usually for $20 per night) go that route since the room is much larger and has a seating area as well. Internet though slow is provided, the upgrade is very expensive and overpriced.
The location is very good with the Jewish quarter and the main square minutes away.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

we arrived in Prague in early morning after a 14 hour train ride-and THE ROOM WAS READY! That enough deserves a great rating. Andrew at the front desk was so helpful and made our check in a quick process. The room was spacious and very comfortable. The hotel is perfectly located for touring and visiting sites by foot. after a long day,The pool,whirlpool and large workout area was so relaxing. The breakfast was plentiful-many choices and great service. i have already recommended this hotel to friends and the price is right.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank aen1563
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I’m just back from a two night stay in this hotel. I booked 3 rooms for 6 people though a discount website. While the location of the hotel is fantastic and the initial impression of the hotel lobby is very beautiful, the room I staying in was extremely dusty, windows were filthy and while there were hangers for complimentary bathrobes none were actually supplied, the beds however were extremely comfortable.
My main grievance however came though my sister was staying in the second room and when in bed could feel a scratching on her leg...which turned out to be a sharp long piece of metal which was also in the bed, luckily she found this before she fell asleep and it done any actual harmful damage to her. She reported it to reception where the receptionist there was not even offer a simple apology regarding the foreign object in the bed - in a gruff manner was told that housekeeping would be informed - this to me was not acceptable. I got the impression that as we booked though a discount website we were not treated as we would have been if paying in full but perhaps I am mistaken and they would not be concerned with any guest finding sharp dangerous objects in the beds.
I had been very much looking forward to staying in an Intercontinental Hotel as I had heard great things about the standard to be expected, in the end I was left disappointed and annoyed.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank LauraG85
Petr V, General Manager at InterContinental Prague, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear LauraG85

I would like to apologies to you and your sister for stressful experience that you had during your stay at the hotel.

Currently we are investigating what the foreign object is, where it may have come from and how it could be in the bed as you found it. We launder all bed linen in the hotel with our own equipment and employees, and we are trying to discover how it can be possible that any object could contaminate the laundry. I met with our Executive Housekeeper to review the processes and route that dirty and clean linen takes in the hotel, and our investigations continue. I am sorry that I do not have an answer at this stage.

I am also very sorry that my team were not as attentive to your sister’s needs when initially reporting this issue to Reception. We simply miss judged the situation at the time and whilst we did take steps immediately to try to resolve the issue, clearly we should have been more understanding and empathic.

I hope that this rare yet disturbing experience does not discourage you from staying at the Intercontinental the next time you are on Prague. Please contact me directly should you been coming to Prague, so that I can take personal care over your stay.

Kind Regards

Robert Rudge
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Great breakfast, club lounge and very large (and phenomenal) fitness club. But this hotel fails in absolutely every other category. While cigarette smoke is part of life in central Europe, you should not have it be at its worst in your hotel. An “open air” smokers’ lounge is adjacent to the front desk, and you will be overwhelmed by cigarette smoke every time you enter the hotel. You must also pass this lounge to and from breakfast. Internet simply does not work in this hotel, and reviewers in the past have noted this, so it’s not a “one time thing” as the front desk staff will claim. The air conditioning does not work. There is one small vent in the room, and it will not reach the bedroom area. You will suffocate in your non-smoking smoke-infested room. Again, the front desk staff will initially claim shock and awe, and send a “technician” but after pressing, they will admit that they know this is a problem. The outlets in the room do not work. We finally found one. We are Ambassador Gold members, and we received an upgraded room. Yet we also paid extra in our pre-paid reservation (through Intercontinental online) for Club Lounge access, and they initially refused to honor this until I produced a paper printout of our reservation details. (The staff knows you are at their mercy for a pre-paid reservation and will treat you accordingly). This was about the worst hotel stay we have had in Central Europe and it is a terrible value for the high price. They bank on the fact that people want this location. You can find a better hotel in Prague. Don’t stay at the InterContinental. This hotel is really damaging the IC brand. Keep in mind that they are independently owned-- and the IC in Budapest is one of the best hotels in Europe. IC Prague is not worth it.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank S D
Dear S D

Thank you for your posting and your feedback, I appreciate it.

First of all I am sorry that we were not fully prepared for your arrival regarding information of your Club Lounge access, this is certainly and missed detailed that we are embarrassed about and I agree that this must not happen. Also on closer inspection of the bedroom we did discover and quickly fix the socket electricity due to a main power breaker activation. I apologise that this affected your stay. We will monitor the sensitivity of these safety devices over the coming weeks.

Your comments regarding smoking in the hotel have encouraged me to decide that it is time to make the hotel 100% no smoking. Earlier this year we made all bedrooms no smoking, and restricted smoking to one part of the Duke’s Bar. Most hotels and restaurants allow smoking indoors for their customers, it is culturally expected and the Czech legislation is not as well developed as other countries in this regard. However we have now decided because of your review that as from 1st January 2015 we will start the New Year as a completely no smoking hotel. Although we will be in the minority we hope that this will encourage other hotels and restaurants to follow.

Regarding the air-conditioning of your suite. The hotel designers assumed that the bedroom part of the suite was not to be treated as a separate room due to the large sliding doors between that and the living area, which is why an additional vent was not installed. I have looked at the suite with my Chief Engineer and decided that this suite and others of similar design will now have additional air conditioning outlets installed over the coming weeks, and certainly ready for the next summer.

The internet band width and signal strength is currently going through an upgrade and I am sorry that you did not experience the internet as it should and will be in the next couple of months. We are in the process of installing 26 more access points to strengthen the signal for those devices with smaller wifi aerials such as iPads, and we are arbitrarily doubling the bandwidth on the free wifi to improve the speed.

Once again I am sorry that your experience of the hotel was poor due to these points. Should you be travelling back to Prague in the future, please make contact with me personally so that I can take care of your stay.

Kind Regards

Robert Rudge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights at the end of our recent vacation, and we were not disappointed. The rooms were spacious and clean and the service was top notch. The international breakfast buffet offers plenty of choices and came with our room. The IC is just a five minute walk to the old town square and the Astronomical Clock. Along the way, you'll pass through one of Prague's ritzy shopping districts along Parizska street. If and when we return to Prague, we'll make sure to stay here again!

Rooms
1 Thank Jeffrey C
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

All that has to be said about the hotel is, great location, wonderful service, lovely rooms and excellent customer service. It;s within walking distance to the main square, Jewish centre and Charles Bridge.

Room Tip: Request room with a river view.
      Location
2 Thank Max R
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Good:
- This hotel is very nice, central and has impressive facilities.
- You can walk to any toursitic attraction and well known restaurants nearby. It is situated nearby the chic parizska street.
- The service at the bar was good.

To improve:
- Staff does not systematically recognize member status and as gold ambassador i was not given explanations about the benefits i have and was not upgraded as per ambassador terms and conditions.
- Going to the reception was always stressing as the staff is very busy and this impacts the service to the customer.
- My room had a very sad view. If we cumulate this to the absence of ambassador upgrade, i would think that it was a minimum to give the same room type but with another view...

My rating is heavily impacted by the last 3 points. Without these 3 or at least 2 out of the 3, i would have increased my rating to very good but not this time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Prague, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Khalid E,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Ambassador member and for leaving us a feedback. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience at our hotel. While we appreciate your positive feedback about the location and bar service at the hotel, it is regrettable to hear that we fell short of our goal in some areas. It seems that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience with regard to room allocation and front office services. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your comments have been forwarded to the hotel management and we are confident they will take necessary actions to improve our guest satisfaction.

We value you as an IHG Rewards Club Ambassador member and hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Lera P