“absolutely no issues here”

Prague Marriott Hotel
Ranked #85 of 649 Hotels in Prague
London
“absolutely no issues here”
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Stayed for a 4 night Monday to Friday break at the end of July. Hotel is in a good location about 100 meters from the Republic Square (starting point for most sightseeing tours) and about a ten minute stroll to Old Town Square. Good sized, spotlessly clean rooms with well equipped bathrooms. As always with Marriott, the beds are simply to die for, ensuring an excellent nights sleep. The staff are all first rate and extremely welcoming, especially the concierge desk. We did not eat in the hotel, (not even breakfast) preferring instead to sample the many cafes and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel was a small fleet of Mercedes cars for hotel guests. As Prague taxis are not the most reliable, these are a very good alternative. The fare for most city destinations is 350 Crowns so we were giving 400 (equiv 14. pounds) including tip. They will also pick you up from your restaurant and their fare to and from the airport is only 900 crowns. I would recommend them with hesitation. Good shopping centre (The Palladium) is a few meters away and the Billa supermarket – so handy for all the things that one forgets to pack – is next door. Hope you enjoy Prague and the Marriott. We certainly did.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adoughty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2009

This is a typical Marriott albeit in a good location just off Namesti Republiki (Republic Square) so only 5 mins walk to the main square (Staromeste Namesti) and 2 mins walk to the nearest Metro station if you want to go further afield.

The hotel is so typically Marriott; on the good side it's smart, clean and up to date with great big comfortable beds and all the usual amenities (hairdryers, TV, IDD phones, business centre, restaurants, bar and fitness centre.

On the downside it could be a Marriott anywhere in the world and everything is a total rip-off (£18 for breakfast, £30 to use the internet for a day, £8 for a glass of wine, £20-30 for a main course in the decidedly ordinary restaurant), the TV, as always takes five minutes to work out how to get it off the Marriott advertising channel and the front door, as always start to revolve just as you reach it so it nearly always threatens to cut you in two.

My advice would be to take the room and breakfast if included but eat, drink and buy everything else outside. The new Palladium shopping centre has just opened 150m away on Namaste Republiky and that has 200 stores including a dozen eateries so try eating there instead. Failing that, just opposite the Paladium on the first floor is the Ambiente Pizzeria (above a sports shop) which is a smart, new airy place in the 'Pizza Express' or 'Ask' class but very handy if you want a decent meal without walking too far.

If breakfast isn't included, it's much cheaper (and nicer) to go to one of the many patisseries around Staromeste Namesti (the best ones are probably on the North East side off Na. Dlouha) .

Snacks and drinks can be bought at Billa, the super market just next door. Get local taxis rather than the costly Marriott taxis and use the side-doors on the main entrance - not the revolving garrotte!

All in all it would probably have been a very good stay except that they waited until I was getting into my taxi for the airport (several hours after I'd checked out) to tell me that there was a problem with the “vouchers” used to book the stay (I used my Marriott points); apparently central booking hadn't forwarded any booking details to them, or they were unable to get the details from central booking because of the horrendously complex and convoluted internal processes that Marriott has for booking using vouchers and reward points. Sadly they expected me to sort out the failings of their processes before leaving -which shouldn't have surprised me as this has happened at other Marriotts before now.

Overall; it is a lovely hotel with very expensive extras and the usual Marriott inability to manage their own processes which causes pain to their guests.

So yes it's a nice hotel and suffers from all the typical Marriott traits so I'd use it to sleep in but very little else,

Good luck!

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank IntrepidVoyager
Wiesbaden, Germany
Reviewed 6 July 2009

The Marriott was a great choice for this trip. We had stayed in Prague once before at a nice hotel, but it was not as centrally located. Staying at the Marriott for location made this trip great!

The hotel is just a short stroll from the old part of Prague, less than 10 scenic minutes to the old town square, but the Marriott is in a much quieter location.

The hotel was attractive and I found everything I needed. Check in and check out were quick and pleasant. The concierge was helpful. Everyone spoke English. The room was very attractive, spotlessly clean. The bed was comfy. The room was spacious- I had a king. I think two beds would have made it a little crowded. Housekeeping was excellent. They really cleaned the room, not just a quick servicing. (I always check the tub carefully, and the drinking classes.)

The little coffee shop in the lobby was good for me for breakfast- I only have coffee and bread or a pastry, so it was nice to have that option in the hotel. (Coffee was great, so was the croissant.) They had a nice looking prix fixe lunch, but I realized I would be late for the airport if I ate there, so I did not eat in their restaurant.

Tip from the concierge- there is NO NEED to take the "direct to your hotel" shuttle outside the airport. INSIDE the airport is the Cedaz shuttle counter. For 120 CzK, they will take you (on the half hour) directly across the street from the Marriott. I did not know that and took the "direct to your hotel version" outside the terminal (same company) for 480 CzK! When you go back to the airport- just go out the Marriott door and you will see the shuttle a few minutes before every half hour. Thanks, Concierge!

This hotel was really a nice and very attractive place to relax and sleep while visiting Prague.

Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Rhine-and-Roses
CA
Reviewed 3 July 2009

Everything about this hotel screams Marriott; it's lovely, convenient, and comfortable. Most of the help was gracious, except for the few who rolled their eyes when I asked a typical tourist question. The concierge was extremely helpful when I intimated to her that I may have been cheated at the local crystal factory which they so heartily endorsed. She had that owner over to the hotel with $100 American dollars for me so fast it would have make your head spin. Wow. I am so grateful that I chose the Marriott, because just outside of the very, very touristy section of the city, Prague is graffitti covered, dark, and depressing. The Marriott was a safe and elegant island near the loveliest parts of the old city.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fallbrook
Medford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 June 2009

I stayed here for a business meeting for 4 nights and was pretty impressed with just about everything. The bed was amazing, the bathtub was nice and deep, and there was an American style outlet at the desk. The only strange thing was there was no alarm clock, although there was a clock on the TV, but I wouldn't have been able to read that in the middle of the night.

The spread for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and our breaks were amazing, especially the desserts. There was gelato after every meal except breakfast!

The location was pretty good too; very close to the Municipal House and Powder Tower. I found myself only taking the tram once because everything was so close! If you do need to take the tram, though, the concierge can sell you tickets, which I thought was very convenient.

The only major drawback is that the price for an internet connection was highway robbery!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank joyosity
british lady and gent
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Deciding on a 'up market trip' to Prague and from past experience of Marriott hotels we did not need persuasion to choose this hotel. From entering the hotel to leaving the service was 5*. Everything was relaxed and the customer came first. We stayed during the week and we found business trips and seminars were prevalent but they did not affect our stay. At the weekend this hotel attracted more tourists but no sign of any Stag or Hen nights. The room we had was a deluxe room it did not include breakfast, lovely bedding and the bed itself so big and comfortable.
The bathroom/shower was a fair size, not huge and the toiletries were of a good standard. The minibar is expensive and I would suggest, like others, to buy your water for sure you'll need it on a hot day and with walking. Also considerbreakfast/snacks at the local supermarket or Yessi cafe which is virtually next door, of ample proportions and far less expensive. We did treat ourselves to breakfast once and found the standard excellent but frankly costly. The pool and leisure facilities were located at basement level and were clean and well maintained. I, for a treat, would recommend the massage 30mins equals 1000 Czech Crowns, they are very good and was the perfect accompliment after a hot day spent walking the streets.

Exiting the hotel you had the taxi rank and Hilton hotel opposite. To the right a train station and small daily market. To the left the cafe, small square and within 5mins walk the local Metro station. Within 15mins you could stroll to the old town square and the myriad of luxery shops, restaurents, and of course tourists! it was always busy to the early hours. A good excursion would be an evening horse and carraige ride around the old town and Jewish Quarter (Josevo) - including the sights of the most costly street in prague - Gucci/Cartier etc yes we could only look and dream! During the day a vintage car trip around prague is good - costs extra to go to Prague castle but hey it was an holiday after all! I would also recommend arriving at the castle about 1130am for the noon changing of the Royal Guard. This event with the fanfare and marching troops was also a highlight of our trip. The local cafes in this area seemed more costly because of its proximity to the castle but if you descend a level there is a cheaper cafe.

As I said earlier the service at the Marriot could not be faulted, the concierge staff were very knowledgable and booked us the best tours, supplied the best maps and if you wanted a transfer at anytime back to the airport. The bar, like at all hotels, cost more then the local pubs etc, we usually had a late night drink there and after a while the waiters got to know your name and gave you extra treats, the nibbles are fantastic!

We took over Euros from the UK and we found generally that the major shops and cafes took them but smaller locations and for trips Czech Crowns are the required currency which we found hard to obtain in UK so a mix is required. There are ample places to change money, the hotel is perhaps the best for security but not the best exchange rate- research this yourselves but be alert to people approaching you on the street offering to exchange money DO NOT even consider this option.

Wencelas square, for us, has lost some of it's magic.Presently there are road and path improvements, not great for taking photos. With the opening of the Palladium shopping complex, near the hotel metro station, thats all the local and national shops you require. At night off the main area of the square the redlight area comes alive and cabaret clubs open- fine if it's your thing but not for us.

I would recommend highly the metro system easy to comprehend and the cheapest way apart from walking to see the sights and combined with the 100 or 119 bus the cheapest most cost effective way to get to and from the airport. Just ensure you validate your ticket before going onto the metro or as soon as you get on a tram or bus there were inspectors checking and fining people. Prague is a safe city and we felt safe throughout our stay at all times as long as you take sensible precautions.

About the booked tours we went on, we decided to explore the major Prague sites on foot/tram/tube with a few coffee shop stops on route but enjoyed a full day trip to the Pilsen Brewery+Free drink and the Folklore night, they say the drinks are unlimited I would say sufficient and after a few drinks all nationalities were dancing this was an evening tour from 7-11pm and if you book via the hotel you have the option of an hotel pickup and dropoff dropoff.

Presently the Charles bridge is undergoing some restoration but does not effect views etc but at the busier times of the day you do find you are walking shoulder to shoulder. We found better opportunities for photos via a river cruise which ranged from 1 hr to a nightly dinner cruise- again bookable via the hotel. Or of course you could visit many of the local churches or halls which seemed to have lunchtime/evening classical concerts a haven of tranquility away from the crowds for an hour or two.

So in my opinion if you can use the Marriott fine. If necessary just avoid the extras via the local supermarkets/cafes Have a canny trip!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank oldfarts
Glasgow
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I stayed for a few days during a trip with a friend. The hotel is situated in a quiet street central areas of prague. Just as you would expect with a marriott hotel. Everything was fine, food was nice, room service was good. If you want to experience the real prague I would recomend spending as little time as possible in the hotel there are lots of lovely little markets around with food and presents.
We went our for a few nights in clubs on the near by square. I would recomend staying in this area. Some locals recomended a club near the river which was awfull it looked likea flash back from about 50 years ago! We met some british stag parties which were great fun and it was slightly comforting to know some one else is such a different country.
Some areas of prague are very afluent but then you walk round a corner and find ourself in the middle of some of the most deprived areas. Its a lovely city with a rich history that is still evident off the tourist track. We were warned by all the locals to be carefull of taxis, ask for the price before you get in and only use certain companies so I would recomend asking at the hotel for a taxi number if you plan to use them.
Go to Prague now while it is still seen as the stag party wild town (which it is not) while it is actually quite quiet, with lovely shops, great designer outlets and fantastic historic and cultural sites. The most fantastic weekend.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends