“Great Hotel”

Ranked #28 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Cork
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 4 October 2007

Hi I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, Great rooms very modern and the hotel is very close to the old town square. The breakfast at this hotel is great huge selection from cereal to fruit and of course your sausages and bacon.. great start to the day. The hotel dose not have a restaurant but great restaurants near by. This hotel has a good location and walking distance from Charles Bridge to the left of the hotel and great shopping to the right. Christmas is a great time to visit Prague especially at the old town square where markets stalls are set up.

Overall this hotel is great and they even put chocolates on your pillow before bed.

Kathy Ireland.

Stayed December 2006
4 Thank KittyMcCork
hotelmaximilian, Hotel Maximilian Guest Relations at Maximilian Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2007
We would like to thank you for your fantastic comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your time in Prague.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
West Linn, Oregon
Reviewed 2 October 2007

We had an unpleasant stay at the Maximilian, a hotel that should be rated lower than 4-Star. I found the staff to be indifferent and unfriendly, the hotel to be unclean and in need of paint at the very least and the final bill was incorrect.
The elevator/lift is incredibly slow. The stairs on our floor were blocked the entire time by a large laundry/cleaning cart. I looked at three rooms and all were exactly the same. The furniture was old and quite scratched and the small bedside lights had frayed wires.
I tried to locate a different hotel via the free internet but it worked only intermittently in my room and in the lobby. The common areas smelled strongly of smoke and were not at all comfortable.We had a non-smoking room but could smell smoke the entire time. I had expected so much more from this hotel. I couldn't wait to leave...

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
13 Thank cityspy
San Diego
Reviewed 29 September 2007

One of the best things about the excellent location of the Maximilian is that it's next door to Chez Marcel. I always try to avoid hotel breakfasts (overpriced and with few exceptions you could be in any hotel, anywhere) -- here, you can get a great breakfast next door at a friendly bistro. Other reviewers have noted the great location generally: close to the Old Town Square but not right on the tourist path of this very touristy city. We walked everywhere from the Maximilian, save for taking the tram up the hill to the castle.

Other good things: hotel car to/from hotel worked perfectly, recommended. Room was clean and pleasant, although no view and nothing special. Also: I needed to change my room from a single to a double/twin bed about a month before arrival, and while hotels.com wasn't very effective, emailing the hotel directly worked well, so plus points there.

Prague turned out generally to be more expensive than I expected, so perhaps it's not fair to believe that the hotel wasn't an especially good value ($571 for three nights with hotels.com fees included -- 1 euro cost about $1.32 when booked and pre-paid). Honor bar was a disappointment -- I'd expected a real bar with some activity instead of an oasis quieter than a library. Again, though Chez Marcel is next door and we usually got back too late to need another drink.

This is an OK place to stay, but next time I'll pay less for more character, while trying to find another hotel a couple blocks off the many beaten paths. And I'll know next time that while we walked through the Old Town Square at least twice a day, we only stopped there once the whole three days I was there.

• Liked — Chez Marcel next door, two free Internet connected terminals, location
  • Disliked — Honor bar, value
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank ChadH
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2007

Comfortable beds, spacious room, great breakfast, friendly staff, free internet access, complimentary tea and coffee available from the Honesty Bar (in a nice lounge area), non-smoking rooms, convenient to the Old Town Square, air-conditioning, fridge, mini-bar, DVD player. This place is great – we were disappointed that we had only booked for five nights. The staff gave us maps and information on arrival and also offered to book theatre tickets for us. Nothing was a problem. They even organised a great breakfast pack for us because we had flights at 6.00am on our day of departure.

A laundry service is available but we found a great laundrette around the corner. To find it, go out of the hotel, turn right, walk around the corner and its about five doors down. They offer 24 hour, 3 day and one week services. It was about 200 Krone for 5kg for the 3 day service (although we dropped our washing off late Monday and picked it up at 7:30am Wednesday.)

There is also a mini-market close by which I think is open until 10pm. Go out the front door of the hotel, turn right, go around the corner, pass the laundrette, and it’s on the next corner.

The Maximillian is about a five minute walk to the Old Town Square and around 15 minutes to the Charles Bridge. There are many restaurants close by. We tried a few which were all okay, although not especially worth mentioning.

I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank wal_on_hol
usa
Reviewed 29 August 2007

I booked a 4 night trip to this hotel as I had stayed there previously this year and the location and hotel is great. However, please be aware that the Maximilian has a bad habit of relocating you to other hotels once you arrive. I had purposely booked this hotel because of its location to the Old Town Square and also because I had been there before I knew the area and felt safe. On arrival I was told that due to problems with smoke detectors in some of the rooms I would have to stay at another hotel for the first 2 days and then I could come back for the last 2. I was assured that this other hotel, The Icon, was in the Old Town district and was dispatch by taxi immediately. It was in the New Town and was in a busy main road which was very noisy. I did not know my way around and had to constantly walk backwards and forwards to the Old Town, where I wanted to be, both in the day and then again in the evening. After 2 nights a taxi took me back to the Maximilian. They were not concerned at all about my unhappiness with what had happened and they did nothing to compensate me for my troubles. The trip was very disjointed because of 2 separate stays and unpacking and packing twice. Please be aware that they have a habit of doing this quite often.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The attitude of the staff on the reception desk
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
13 Thank sanibelann
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
Reviewed 23 August 2007

The Maximilian is of the kind of hotel that maintained its classic facade, but has this smooth, minimalist and very stylish, modern interior - starting from the lobby all the way to the looks of the rooms. I cannot think of any complaint - everything was superb: location (nice 5 minutes walks to the Old Town square), spacious stylish rooms, fantastic breakfast, welcoming service.

A wholehearted recommendation for anyone considering the Maximilian.

• Liked — Location, room size & buffet breakfast.
  • Disliked — No complaints at all!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 8 August 2007

I booked this hotel as the end of a long holiday that included Estrasburgo,Nancy,Reims,Budapest and Paris.Arrived in the hotel from the airport at 19hs00 by taxi.No porter was waiting,had to ask someone to help with our lugage.Asked for a room in the highest floor,far from the elevator and in the backside.The only thing they offered was the room in the back.Room 449,only 24 sq.meters.Only 1 umbrella,no adaptor for my cell phone charger,no enough hangers for the clothes.Asked for the hangers and the adaptors.Reception said:No adaptors available,but they could indicate where I could buy one!!!!!!!!!!!
Next morning we were awakened by the maid and the noise of a vacuum cleaner?) in the corridor.I got up and asked her to stop,she showed me her watch and said something in czeck language...
As some reviewers said the breakfast was "spetacular"we were expecting...but,again,nothing special.No fresh orange juice,no bottled water,no pancakes,no waffles,no enough croissants...Had to ask for expresso coffee,because the coffee that was on the table was very "weak".
The next 3 nights I was wakened 1am,2am with the noise of upstair's guests.Called the reception,but nothing happened.

Asked for late check out,untill 4 pm and the manager agreeded.
When I was closing the bill,BEFORE 4 PM,they charged me 50 euros for late check out.I complained and the woman said that late check out was untill 2pm...
Be careful because they try to put you on the "hotel taxi" that charges much more than normal taxis...

• Liked — Breakfast is served untill 11hs30
  • Disliked — Noise of the room
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple