“A beautiful hotel in a beautiful city”
Review of Maximilian Hotel

Maximilian Hotel
Ranked #29 of 649 Hotels in Prague
London, Canada
“A beautiful hotel in a beautiful city”
Reviewed 3 September 2014

This was the last hotel we stayed in during our trip to Europe, and it blew all the other places we stayed in away. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating, and had our room ready early for us as we had just arrived in town after a 5 hour bus ride. The room was spacious and meticulous, and there was a goldfish in a tank as we had requested. It was a sweet touch to be able to request a fish friend for our stay and we loved watching our little buddy swim around the tank.
The hotel was a nice part of the old town, which we explored extensively. It was also close to great restaurants and shops.
The breakfast was also the best we had on our trip. It had everything you could think of to want to eat, and the servers came around to offer hot beverages, as well as picks off the menu. You never felt rushed, and it was a relaxing experience to enjoy a yummy meal before heading out to site-see for the day.
We also took advantage of the spa on site, and my husband and I received the best massages we have ever had. The masseuse's were professional and well trained. Although massages are much different than at home, it was relaxing and comfortable.
We booked the hotel shuttle to the airport. The driver was very skilled, and I commend anyone who is able to drive on European roads that well. It was a smooth and comfortable ride, and we got to the airport with plenty of time to spare.
We will make sure to return to Maximilian Hotel on our next trip abroad, and have recommended any friends wanting to travel to Prague to stay there.

2 Thank LittleMamaP
MaximilianHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Maximilian Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear MrsPrior,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write and post your wonderful review on our TripAdvisor page about the Maximilian Hotel!
We were really happy to read your detailed and really nice review and we truly appreciate your kind comments about our staff, your room, the location of our property, your Goldfish in the room and our hotel car service. We are also glad to know that you enjoyed the relaxing massages at our spa, furthermore, we are delighted to know that our breakfast was your favorite during your entire trip.
Thank you once more for your review and we will be looking forward to seeing you again at the Maximilian Hotel!

Andrea Járvás

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We just got back from our Europe trip. This was our favorite hotel and is a phenominal value. The hotel is in a great part of the Old Town. It is very quiet, but 2-3 blocks from the hub of the Old Square. Restaurants and bars are plentiful in this area and everything is within a 20 minute walk except for the Caste area which is closer to 30 minutes or 10 minutes via public transit. The breakfast is FANTASTIC - full american buffet and you can also order a la carte items if you have more time. Wifi worked better in this hotel than anywhere else we stayed on our trip. I highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank kdipaol
Dear kdipaol,

Many thanks for your lovely feedback on our TripAdvisor page regarding your recent stay at the Maximilian Hotel!
It was our pleasure to read your positive comments and we are happy to know that we could contribute to a pleasant and enjoyable stay in Prague.
We hope to see you again for a future stay with us!

Reviewed 30 August 2014

We stayed here in August 2014 and absolutely loved it. It was conveniently located, had very helpful receptionists who guided you around well. The rooms are modern, we had good wifi speed and there was a sufficient amount of toiletries supplied. Breakfast was excellent, loved the choice on the breakfast order menu which also catered to vegetarians and also the daily breakfast spread. We had to leave early on check out and reception also gladly packed up some breakfast for us to go.

Room Tip: We preferred the room in the black building which although had smaller windows, had a better view.
1 Thank DivAsh2014
Dear DivAsh2014,

Many thanks for your lovely review on our TripAdvisor page!
It was really nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to thank you for mentioning all the aspects and features you were satisfied with.
We hope to see you again in the near future!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We had taken the EC train from Vienna and gotten into the main train station; the hotel is about 15 minutes walk from the train station. The streets are tiny and not well-organized, but it took us another 15 minutes to get our bearings. The hotel is in a great part of the Old Town. It is very quiet, but still 2-3 blocks from the hub of the Old Square. Restaurants and bars are plentiful in this area. One downer was that the hotel did not have a room for us, and they sent us to the sister Hotel Josef for one night; it wasn't so bad since it seemed like an upgrade, but the fact we had to move our luggage back to the Maximilian the following day seemed like a minor hassle. The hotel is wonderful, however, with the continental breakfast, wine happy-hours, and beautiful modern rooms. Definitely, it should be considered for the leisure traveler.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper levels have nicer views of the city view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SFBayTravelSensei,

Thank you for the time you have taken to write about your experiences at the Maximilian Hotel in Prague.
We truly appreciate your kind feedback about our property and facilities and we are glad to know that you had a nice time here. We would like to apologize once more for the inconvenience in the beginning of your trip and also to thank you for your understanding regarding the issue.
We look forward to seeing you again for a future stay with us!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I wish I could say I was happy and satisfied with my stay at Hotel Maximilian, or actually Hotel Josef, but quite the opposite is true of my experience. Out of the places I have stayed on my trip (5 cities) this was the most disappointing. However I guess statistically it was bound to happen. I’ll keep this review short.

Here are the positives of my stay:
- An over eager bar tender
- A comfortable bed
- A relaxing shower
- And air conditioning , which I hear is something Europe doesn't have a lot of.

And now the negative:
- Though I booked Hotel Maximilian through Hotels.com, upon checking in I was sent to Hotel Josef (a sister hotel) due to technical issues with my room
- I was told my new room was an upgrade from what I reserved but I couldn’t tell the difference. Nor did it matter because I was traveling solo.
- When I looked at the rates online Hotel Josef was cheaper than Hotel Maximilian. And when I asked for them to adjust my rate, I was told they couldn’t because I had already prepaid through Hotels.com.
- Hotel Josef boasts free Wifi, but the only time I got a signal in my room was when I sat by the door. (Didn’t work in my bed) When I mentioned this to the desk clerk I got explanations and excuses, but no solutions or resolutions.
- The breakfast was a nice spread, but the scrambled eggs had egg shells mixed in.
- Upon checking out I was asked about the gift basket of candies and sweets that they arranged for me as compensation for my inconveniences, but it was never delivered to my room. So nice that they WANTED or said they would do something, but just like the hotel itself the service also fell short.
- Lastly, later that night I received an email stating Hotel Josef would be happy to provide me with a complimentary evening, however I absolutely have no plans to visit Prague in the near future. How does this help me?

Final thought - for the money, you are probably better off finding a different place to stay.

Room Tip: They said free wifi in the room, but the only time mine worked was when I sat near the door. It did...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Christopher I
MaximilianHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Maximilian Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Christopher I,

We would like to thank you for your detailed and honest feedback regarding your experiences at the Maximilian Hotel and your stay at our sister property, Hotel Josef.
We are truly sorry to hear that your stay at Hotel Josef did not fully meet your expectations. As it is at the core of our service to ensure a pleasant and enjoyable stay at all times, we are disappointed to know that in this case we fell short in most aspects. Your feedback is highly valued and we will do our best to improve the points you mentioned in your review.
If you would ever change your mind about coming back to Prague in the future, we would be pleased to have you staying with us for a complimentary night either at the Maximilian Hotel or Hotel Josef and will do our best to make up for the negative experiences you had.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed at the Maximilian 3 years ago when in Prague on business and loved it. So when my husband and I had to return for an 8-day business trip in August, I booked us in again. Very happy that I did! The hotel was even better this time around, impeccably clean, charming, thoughtfully-designed rooms and amenities, comfortable beds, flatscreen tv, excellent & ample breakfast and fast wifi - all at a very reasonable price in a beautiful location. If you visit Prague in summer, you want air-conditioning, and Maximilian offers it. Wifi was reliable, fast and free. They also have two computers in a common area for guests to use, with a printer - great for printing out boarding passes before departure. There's a small spa in the basement offering a variety of massages (we didn't use it, so can't comment). The hotel has beautiful goldfish in lovely aquariums that can be put in your room upon request - a lovely, quirky touch to have your own little pet for the duration of your stay (which is fed & cared for daily by the maid who services your room). The hotel staff are charming, responsive, friendly and efficient, only too happy to make recommendations, provide directions, help you in any way. This is not something one can take for granted in Prague! Whoever trains the staff of international young adults for this hotel is to be highly commended, they are to a person wonderful. The breakfast included with room rate is lavish, fresh, delicious. Eggs (made to order if you prefer), ham, bacon, fresh fruits, meusli, assortment of breads and pastries, cheeses, yogurts, cereal all on a big buffet. And they serve breakfast until 11:00 - so those with jet lag can sleep in and still have breakfast... which was usually enough to last us through lunchtime, too. The honor bar is open all day and into the evening with help-yourself-and-write-it-in-the-book drinks and snacks. There are free cookies, apples and flavor-infused waters available in the lobby all day.
Since we would be staying there for over a week, we paid just a little bit extra and upgraded to a Superior Deluxe Double which gave us tons of room (sofa plus large chair) and two tall windows flooding the room with light. The shower had good water pressure, and I was pleased at the quality of the hair-dryer and the length of the cord (having just spent a week in Paris where the cord of the hairdryer attached to the wall wasn't long enough to be able to look in the mirror while blow-drying).
The Maximilian is located in a quiet square across from a lovely church in the Old Town on the edge of the atmospheric old Jewish quarter, close to all the tourist highlights in Prague, 5 minutes' walk from Old Town Square & its famous astrological clock, 10 minutes walk to the Charles Bridge.
If I had to find some small imperfection, it would be that the elevator can take a bit of time coming, especially at popular check-out times - so just give yourself a minute or two extra. At least this elevator is big enough for several people, and luggage too!
Having stayed at several of the international chain hotels in Prague over the past decade of annual business trips there, I am happy to have found my true "Prague home" and can't imagine staying anywhere else. Luxury, friendly service, comfort, convenience, pet goldfish, fast wifi and great breakfast at a reasonable price - why would anyone go elsewhere?

Room Tip: Pay just a little more for the extra space in the Superior Deluxe Doubles
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sailgirl
MaximilianHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Maximilian Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear sailgirl,

We were delighted to read your really nice and detailed review about your recent stay at the Maximilian Hotel on our TripAdvisor page. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and other readers! It is especially lovely to know that we had the pleasure to have you staying with us for the second time in Prague.
We are pleased to hear that you liked so many features and appreciated many aspects here, such as your room, our breakfast, location, the assistance of our team and we would also like to thank you for your honest feedback about our elevators.
It would be our greatest pleasure to welcome you back for the third time at the Maximilian Hotel!

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

I liked this hotel despite few minor details. Location is near our favourite spots in Prague. And it's quiet here, even if you choose to sleep with open windows. We had room at the sixth floor. Modern and spacious, nice bathroom, tiny TV (not that I missed TV watching).
Towels and carpets should be changed if the hotels wants to keep the fifth star.
Breakfast similar to the one we've got in Josef Hotel - but unforunately not as good.
Receptionist, waiters - probably the nicest and most helpful based on my experience with hotels bring this hotel back to the fifth star, and beyond.
ZEN spa - very good massage for reasonable price. Lovely spa area.
No training facilities as I could see, but few novelties like "borrow a pet" that you can have in your room (gold fish) and "honesty bar" where you can help yourself to drinks, and pay honestly by check out.
Perfect place to stay for weekend, but maybe not so perfect if you wish to celebrate special occasion, or feel spoiled.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear THREOslo,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write and post your positive and detailed feedback on our TripAdvisor page!
It was delightful to hear that you appreciated so many features of our hotel and also that you enjoyed our facilities.
Thank you also for your comments about our carpets and towels - we are currently working on these issues in order to be be able to provide a better experience and keep up the standard of our property.
We hope to see you again for a future stay with us!