“Fabulous boutique hotel with free internet and amazing buffet breakfast!”
Review of Maximilian Hotel

Maximilian Hotel
Ranked #27 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Stayed at this boutique hotel for 3 nights towards the end of March, 2009. The hotel was a hidden gem in the back of the Jewish quarter, but a quick 3-5 minute walking distance to everything, including the train stop. Free internet in the back lounge part of the hotel, free tea and coffee and pastries in the afternoon in the lounge after a long day sightseeing, an honesty bar, and the great selection hot and cold buffet breakfast was definitely worth the $$. The rooms were modern and comfortable and the service friendly andknowledgeable. Would stay here again in a second. I highly recommend this hotel for an upscale and very comfortable experience!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lindafLosAngeles
There are newer reviews for Maximilian Hotel

Reviewed 7 April 2009

Although a litlle different we went there for my stag do and the hotel was brilliant.
I must stress not your typical stag hotel so dont worry....
Great location, service and what made it better was all the models that came by for a photo shoot to help the boys through the morning hangovers...perfect

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank KGCC7
Reviewed 24 March 2009

It's like a budget version of a W hotel.

Plusses:
1. Excellent staff who spoke English.
2. Perhaps the finest breakfast service of any hotel in Europe, and I have stayed in a lot of them. Outstanding preparation and selection. Great coffee. Great area. Normally people eat a hotel breakfast like it's a wake, but this place had everyone chatty and cheerful. A nice way to wake up.
3. Comfortable beds.
4. Very clean bathroom. To me, a mediocre bathroom is a deal breaker. These guys went the other way. Spotless. Pristine towels. Plus top-notch bath products to use.
5. Secure parking, though access is through a very narrow entrance.
6. Well-stocked "honor bar" just off the lobby.
7. Fast internet access in the rooms.
8. No funny charges added to the bill, although phone calls are typically pricey.
9. Perhaps most importantly...LOCATION. A quiet neighborhood just outside the tourist zone, but a five-minute walk to anything you want to see.

Minuses:
1. We were on the "first" floor with an interior-facing room, which was a little dark even during the day. But we were using it as a crash pad after all day outside, so no worries. If you are going to be doing business in the hotel during the day, request an upper floor room so you can get more daylight.
2. The design is cool-modern, but the hotel also has been lived in pretty hard. My room (and some others I peeked into when having maid service) had definitely seen better days. But the bathroom was great (see above). Some new carpet would help matters.
3. Also, not in the hotel, but around the corner, is a sushi restaurant called Yaki. AVOID. Terrible maguro salad and tofu. Then I found a looong hair wrapped inside one of my sushi rolls. At least they only charged us for the beer when I complained, but still...Yecch. Far better bet is Les Moules on Parizska.

VERDICT: Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank RichardMNixon
Reviewed 23 March 2009

I was very impressed with this place and would definitely stay again. The staff was very helpful and the location was perfect - on a quiet neighborhood street just a few blocks from the town square. There are plenty of bars and restaurants nearby as well - mostly places that appear to be 'local' in nature and not too touristy.

My rate included the breakfast which was excellent. The business center offered free internet and printing and they also offered complimentary coffee-to-go in the lobby (not common in Europe).

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2009

We spent three nights at the Maximilian on our first trip to Prague. We arrived at 10.30 at night, but were greeted by a friendly and eager desk staff who carried our bags up to our rooms and confirmed our tours for the next day. The building was old and full of character, but the room was very modern, well fitted-out and quiet. The free Internet was a godsend after having been in Paris paying 7 euro an hour for an in-room connection. The buffet breakfast was of a high standard and there were plenty of free tables in the modern-looking, spacious dining room.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2009

We stayed in Prague 3 nights in this pretty hotel. Got a very quiet room with two beds. Everything was clean and very nice decorated, also clean bathroom. Parking in Prague isn't easy, so we decided to take the hotel garage, which was quite expensive at 24 EUR per day. It is extremely narrow down in the garage, hotel staff had to assist to get in there.

Prague is a perfect city to stay a weekend or even longer, lots of small shops and so much to see and to do.

Just one more thing: If you book with British Airways Vacations, make sure that they know about the reservation at the hotel. When we arrived, they did not know anything about a reservation, but gave us a room. Next day reservation was found and everything was clear for a nice weekend in Prague.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 23 January 2009

Prague has always been a city I wanted to visit for its amazing architecture but also have a taste of its boutique hotels...Unfortunately the word boutique, hip, chic, charm hotels has been somewhat abused in the last decade, so it’s hard to find the real thing! I had heard similar views about hotels in Prague but my extensive internet searches including dear old TripAdvisor and i-escape ended me in Maximilian...although rated as the somewhat less trendy sibling Hotel Josef by some, I was attracted by the fact that it had art deco furnishings and details and some rooms overlooked the St. Agnes Monastery. Luckily I got a much better deal calling the hotel directly than the internet and also for the room that I wanted...# 206 looking towards the monastery! I also opted for the pick-up from the Prague Florenc bus terminal which was 15 Euros but worth it after a four hour bus ride from Vienna late in the evening. The location turned out to be a plus- although not right on the touristy bit of Prague, it is hardly a 5 minutes’ walk to Old Town square.

Check-in was smooth. I was given the room of my choice #206 (pre-arranged). I must say the room was smallish with a sleek bathroom but had almost everything that I would normally expect from a bigger chain hotel; internet, mini-bar, welcome chocolates, comfy bed and a great view looking right out to a monastery! In fact the hotel which is housed in a 1920s building is split between 'The black house' and 'The red house' with the black house overlooking the monastery.

As I snuggled into the crisp white sheets beacuse it was around 10:30PM and I was just not ready to venture into Pargue's night life that Friday night, I had a sudden craving for a snack and ended up ordering a veggie sandwhich which was "just OK" but quite a convienece to have a room service. I drew my room’s curtains apart to gaze at the misty outside with the monastery making it right out of the fairy-tale feel... next thing I was woken by my alarm. Breakfast was actually better than I expected from a small hip hotel ;-). After breakfast I spent some time in the hotel’s library with a small collection of art books and some other. I lazed a bit in the Drawing Room/ lounge which was definitely furnished in art-e-deco style! To be honest the hotel is actually a somewhat minimalistic art deco! Not bad as it looks stylish but not really an art-deco haven, although according to the staff the art deco pieces were original. Nevertheless it looks quite chic. Reception staff was very helpful in guiding me where to go and to what’s cool in Prague without a Wallpaper guide!

A shame that I only stayed for one night as I wanted to spend my second night on the other bank of the river Vltava close to the famed Prague castle! Overall I had a great stay. The location, building, interiors, service, bed linen, art work, breakfast and down to the stylish yet very simple Do Not Disturb signs were great. I would love to return on a romantic weekend and not be bothered about staying elsewhere on this side of Vltava except for Maximilian!

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank alisasha