“Excellant Modern Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Darwen, Lancashire
“Excellant Modern Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2007

My husband and I travelled to prague for the new year period from the 29th Dec'06 to the 2nd of Jan'07 staying a total of 4 nights.
Before travelling to prague I had emailed the hotel a few times regarding booking a restaurant for New Years eve as we thought best to plan in advance. The front desk staff had replied with advise on each occasion and their advice had been very useful.

On arriving the front desk staff were very pleasent and we got checked in very quickly. Our room was a standard room in the black tower over looking the church. The bed was larger than a standard double - really comfortable and the room was very modern and clean.
The breakfast was varied offering everything from fresh fruit to almost a full english breakfast!

Out and about we would deffinatly reccomend a trip to the Bobova Draha Prosek Bobsleigh track if you have children with you or if you are like us - big kids! However it is much cheaper if you arrange this yourself rather than using an organised trip and the front desk staff in the hotel speak very good english and are able to direct you how to get to it quite easily using public transport. Once there you can get 6 runs on the bobsleigh for what converts to about £7.00, which we felt was good vfm! Afterwards we went into the pizziaria at the top of the bobsleigh track where we had a pizza, 2 hot chocolates and 2 beers and the total cost only came to about £4.00 for everything.

Restaurants we ate at included:
*Garden at the Opera - when we spent New Years Eve, it was expensive but wonderful.
*Lascala - an italian resturant which seemed to be built into the cellars - situated just off the old town square, the food was good and reasonably priced.
*U Supa - the food was good when we got it but the waiter was so dippy I was origionally brought the wrong dish. This was slightly more expensive too.
Good Coffie shops and patisseries:
*Cafe Grand - is the only Cubist designed cafe of it's kind - apparently!!! But the hot chocolates and Muffins were great.
*Cafe Louvre - was very nice - a little way out of town, we actually ate lunch here on our 1st day - try their dumplings! This is very cheap too!
*Cafe Wow - Good place to go on a evening for drinks as it is more of a bar then a cafe.
*Au Gourmand - MY FAVOURITE! this is a french pattisserie where your can get alsorts from sandwiches and quiches to cakes and chocolate brownies, however be warned the menu is in french.
If you are planning to travel to Prague - have a nice time!

Stayed January 2007
9 Thank Princess-Nikki

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2007

This Hotel is great, situated within a few minutes walk of the main tourist centres and situated in a quiet area of the city.
Every area of the hotel is pleasing on the eye espcially if you like the minimalist style. Rooms are big and have every creature comfort down to the DVD and viewing screen in the bathroom
Breakfast was varied and good. Cant fault this Hotel to be honest, would defo visit again. The honesty bar is an intersting concept and the bill was surprisingly cheap

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Not the happiest front desk
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bwfcphil
Dorset UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2007

We stayed in the Maximilian at Easter 2006 and it's really handy for the Old Square (with the famous clock). The square had an Easter display with eggs decorating the trees and had a great atmosphere with the coldish but sunny weather.

The hotel staff were wonderfully helpful and friendly. Our room was modern, just the right size with a nice bathroom. We also liked the help yourself to drinks bar with log/coal? (not sure which) fire. A great place to relax. We managed to check out theatres on the hotel's free internet access, computer room and the staff booked tickets for us easily.

Tips: 1. check out the Charles Bridge very early in the morning before the tourists get there and then get back to the hotel for breakfast; 2. Go to the Stavovske Divaldo (State Theatre I think this means) just for the fantastic decoration. You have to see a production to get in but just book something (it's cheap by UK prices) to see inside. We saw a play by Schnitzler all in Czech so didn't understand a word of it. Bizarre but good! 3. You can arrange for the hotel to pick you up from the airport if you email them directly. We did this. The driver was friendly efficient and helpful. It cut out a lot of hassle.

Warning: (particularly if you're from the UK which doesn't use this system) if you take a Prague tram, make sure you buy a ticket before you get on and stamp it on one of the tram's machines. We bought the ticket but got on a very crowded tram and didn't stamp it (couldn't see the machines and didn't realise that stamping was crucial). When we got off, 2 inspectors followed us and fined us 500 Czech Koruny each after an argument. It was an experience we can dine out on but not too nice a one (they're in plain clothes and basically could have been anyone). The hotel staff were very sympathetic and said they probably were for real.

All in all, a great hotel in a lovely city.

• Liked — Old building modernised nicely, friendly staff, great help yourself bar
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tex55
Dorchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2007

After reading trip adviser reviews, we chose the Maximilian for comfort, facilities, location and price. We were not disappointed. Modern hotel, comfortable, good price. Much more luxurious (in a contemporary style hotel way) than we were expecting for what we paid. Our room - 306 in the black tower - had a view of the church (no ringing bells to disturb you!) I had mentioned that the trip had been booked as a 50th birthday present for my husband and there was a complimentary half bottle of Sekt sparkling wine and fresh fruit. In the room there were bathrobes (2), slippers, free mineral water, white company toiletries in the bathroom, towel change daily, belgian chocolates left on pillow.

We used the hotel car for airport transfers 780cz, pay the driver.
We didn't think that bad for such an efficient service as it is probably a 25 min journey.

On the food front, the hotel breakfast was fab. Pretty well everything you could think of, all replenished frequently and fresh.
The choice included smoked salmon, scrambled egg, bacon, spicy sausage, sliced fresh fruit, yoghourt, cereals, fresh fruit salad, fresh breads wrapped in napkins for you to slice off what you wanted, juices, nuts, seeds, cheeseboard, ham, etc etc

For evenings, we ate at Lary Farys and Chez Marcel, the latter is next door to the Maximilian, Lary Farys round the corner. Both meals excellent. 2 courses with wine came to around £20-25 a head and we didn't stint ourselves.

Cocktails at the Bombay cocktail bar (near Lary Farys), good price and friendly staff.

We walked everywhere and covered a lot in the one whole and 2 half days we were there, I guess one more night would have been perfect.

We enjoyed coffee in the Ebel Coffee house, try the Griotte, a hot cherry brandy based drink, very nice. Also went to Ambiente Italian near old Market Square, freshly made pasta.

Probably because we went mid week between Christmas and New Year, didn't see any stag/hen dos. Prague was packed though it just added to the atmosphere! Best of all, it snowed!!

• Liked — comfort and quality, plus the breakfast selection was super
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — book ahead of your visit if you want to use the spa.. no appts left by the time we arrived.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with friends
6 Thank emmapeel
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2007

Having just returned from a 3 night stay here over new year we found the hotel fantastic. tThe staff we all very helpful and nothing was too much trouble they booked tours for us and gave us plenty of information on where to go for new years eve. When we aririved the other couple that we had gone with were given a smoking room they asked to change room and within 20mins of asking they were. given another room and a complementry bottle of champagne as an apoligy.The breakfast here were also great the staff were on hand to bring you anything you wanted the choice was great , we found the cleaniness of the hotel very good.we would definatley recomend this hotel the position is also very good within 5 mins of the old square and clock tower.

• Liked — EVERY ONE WAS SO HELPFUL
  • Disliked — NO TEA OR COFFE IN ROOMS
  • Tips/Secrets — IF YOU DO NOT SMOKE AS FOR A NONE SMOKING ROOM
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with friends
5 Thank WS-TOURS
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2006

I was in search of a relatively new hotel because I wanted to ensure, first and foremost, that it was clean. I was also interested in staying at a hotel that was contemporary in design style. I believe the Josef, also in Prague, and Maximilian are owned by the same company, but chose the Max based on what I believed to be a better location for my needs (quick metro access, touristy stuff). A quick walk to Old Town Square and the green line subway, I was quite pleased with the location, although I must admit I initially had a slightly difficult time finding it due to my inability to contact the hotel via email (for directions from the subway). My emails to the corporate office in Austria, the hotel itself and its sister hotel (Josef) were all returned to me. Evidently the email addresses listed on the web site are not current. That wasn't a good sign, but suffice it so say I found the place and after that first attempt it was a breeze. Upon my arrival the staff was friendly and attentive and the common areas are minimalistic and sleek. I was pleased. The room itself was okay. The sleekness dropped a notch. The pic on the web site is not indicative of a standard room - and in their defense, I believe they note the pic is a suite - so I wasn't overly upset. The sleeping area and entry was partially clad in wood (a nice touch), but the ceramic tile accented with natural stone didn't necessarily match in the bathroom, nor did it make sense to me - except from a construction budget standpoint. Basic television (no flat screen), free in-room internet hook-up was nice. I prefer a douvet, but the bed had a blanket. No big deal, I lived with that. For the most part the room was clean, except the grout in parts of the tub/shower was no longer white - it was black from dirt. That was a big turn off. Had I been travelling with my wife I would have demanded a different room, but hey I was alone and was too jet lagged to fuss...and I was only in Prague for 1.5 days so I didn't sweat it. Bed was comfortable, room was good size for one person, possibly a little tight for two - but that's just me. There's no alarm clock in the room, so bring a device w/a clock...and you have to hold the button on the hair dryer to keep it operating. The complimentary breakfast is, in my opinion, exceptional and a great way to start the day. The Maximilian offers a fair value for the money, and I would probably stay there again, I'd simply request a cleaner room next time. I wouldn't consider it an award winning hotel, but it was comfortable.

• Liked — Location to restaurants, transportation, tourist activities, breakfast was excellent
  • Disliked — Bathroom, blanket instead of douvet
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank david_k001
Dudley UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2006

Stayed at this Hotel for two nights 10-12th December 2006. It turned out to be a very good choice. Arrived at Hotel at 11am and was pleasantly suprised to be given a room straight away. Our room was on 1st floor right opposite a lift but this created no problem during our stay. The Hotel and room is very modern but the room was very warm and comfortable. As mentioned previously the Hotel runs a honesty bar. This had a very good selection of drinks but the area lacks any atmosphere as opposed to a proper bar. The breakfast served was very good with a wide selection of hot and cold food. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The only thing missing was tea and coffe facilities in the room.
The Hotels location is excellent. We visited for the Xmas markets and to see the city and The Old town is literally a five minute walk away with Wenceslas Square another five minutes. We even managed to walk to the Castle although the hill up to it nearly finished me off.
All in all a good place to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — Carry small change for Public Toilets whilst out and about