“Good hotel, centrally located”

Art Nouveau Palace Hotel
Ranked #54 of 651 Hotels in Prague
Israel
“Good hotel, centrally located”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We (two elderly couples) spent 2 nights at this hotel in October 2013. The hotel is very pleasant, the staff all speak good english and are helpful in many ways. We managed to get tickets to the Opera (Carmen) for the same night with the help of the hotel staff and without a commission or any extra charge. Very helpful. The breakfast (included) was very good with plenty of choices.
Easy walking distance to the main attractions of the old town. I do highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RafiKornfeld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The service at the front desk, the dining room, the room service and the bar was excellent, slow, but excellent. The hotel is in a great location. Easy walking to many, many local points of interest.
The hotel has a great consierge. Price is reasonable, the rooms are dated, but I understand a lot of upgrading is going on. Not a Hilton, but definitely worth a stay..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Saffron D
Rohnert Park, CA
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This is a diamond in the rough. The exterior belies the fact that this is a five star hotel in a country trying to re invent itself after communist rule. The lobby and restaurants are designed beautifully, and we found the staff always pleasant and helpful. We ate dinner several nights in the bar restaurant and enjoyed chatting with the staff, and had excellent food and wine. Took me a minute to figure out the bed - two separate duvets, one for each of us. A very modern bathroom and a pleasure to stay here.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street so we dealt with noise form the streetcars and hostel across the street.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Italylover47
Tampere, Western Finland, Finland
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Good hotel, excellent location. Nice breakfast. Funny stuff in reception. We had a room with balcony, funny extra. Express coffee machine in room made me happy and the beautiful bathroom. Only minus was the the old and unhappy man as a doorman/bellboy. Great place!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janne V
Stoughton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 September 2013

When we pulled up to this hotel I said to my fellow travelers this was not a five star hotel, but you should not judge anything by its external appearance. It looked like a rundown building that was covered in a green paint. However, I was in for a total surprise, this was definitely a five-star hotel. The lobby, was exquisite, I grade a hotel on the amenities it provides and fortunately, I was provided with a face cloths, lotion, free computer in the room and in the lobby,but no hair conditioner, and I did not need a card to get electricity in my room. Also, there were safety bars in the shower / bath The disadvantages were that the TV was old and small and slow to respond, however, the good thing was that you had many channels in English to choose from. They provided bathrobes and slippers for the guests. Even a long handle metal shoehorn was within the closet to be used. One of the unique items I really enjoyed was that I could check the water temperature prior to my entering the tub and shower.
On the negative side, there was no bath soap only shower gel, I also found the mattress extremely hard and yet at home, I sleep on an extreme firm mattress. I rate this hotel a 4.8 out of five star's.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank steven d
Munich
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Booked via hotwire. On arrival hotel seemed clueless that you could book via hotwire. On checkout tried to charge me again. Always slow service at reception, courteous but slow.

Room large but dated. Very dated.

Concierge great, friendly and deserved the nice tip i gave him.

A grand hotel let down by poor service and lack of care.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 September 2013

+ Hotel is in a decent location.
- Staff don't seem to care much for their guests.
- Hotel stole 390 euro from us.

On check-in they didn't have the correct room for us or the bottle of Czech sparkling wine I had requested. When they did get a room for us it was much smaller than I was expecting (not the end of the world I suppose). There was also no Sparkling wine so I rang down to make sure it was taken off the bill. In the end they tried to charge us for it anyway :(

To be fair they gave us a free drink at the bar while we waited on a room so I have to give them that.

Anyway, the worst thing is we are back in Ireland now and it seems they charged us twice for the room (and a bit extra on top)!

What happened was we arrived and checked in and used my girlfriends card to secure the room for 10,000 Koruna(my card didn't work but that was my fault), and on check-out we used my card to pay (issue resolved with my card so no probs charging it). So they charged my card for the stay,but also the 10,000 Koruna (390 Euro) that was locked on my girlfriends card was never released and debited from her account on Monday morning.
We've been on to the bank and it was indeed debited and not just locked as is normal when securing a room (to make sure you can pay and cover any extras etc).

I will try to ring them again today as they wont reply to emails. As English is not the first language of the staff its difficult to get any response via phone as they don't seem to know what I'm on about. They have said they will get a manager to call me back but nothing yet.

Enjoyed Prague, have been many times and will be again, but not in this hotel.

Prague has a reputation for pickpockets and this is something you have to watch out for (in most cities as well). But you don't expect the hotel to steal from you :0(

If we get a resolution from the hotel I will update this review to reflect that.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple