“A superb find”
Review of Unitas Hotel

Unitas Hotel
Ranked #9 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 25 July 2011

A real gem of a place, situated within easy walk of all the site, but in a very quiet location. The rooms are airy and spacious, surprisingly so for a city center Hotel and a comfortable and peaceful nights sleep was had. In fact the whole hotel had a very peaceful air to it. The breakfasts as previous posts mention is fantastic both in selection and quality. We had drinks in the lobby on a couple of nights and the prices were less expensive than some of the bars we had a drink in. All in all this is the only place i would stay in, in Prague. I only wish i could find something like this place on all of my travels.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 July 2011

Although I was put off when booking by the owners absurd claim that he was rude because Czech's had never heard of A/C before 10 years ago.. (read it.. it will make you shake your head.) I stayed here based on other reviews.

It's great, pretty cheap and in a very convenient safe location.

The staff is what makes this hotel, not the owner as I found out. Mr. Ispeakforallczech's is lucky he has such a great staff to run his hotel.

The fridge included is terrible. Hardly a reason not to stay here though.

Stay here.. it's awesome.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
avoda, Owner at Unitas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

Hello, I read your comment with great interest and I thank you for it. Yes, you are absolutely right, I might be an idiot, but definitelly a lucky one having found so good and dedicated people working in the Unitas who have impressed you so much. Thank you very much for your words.
And to myself, I´ll never again speak in a manner upsetting anyone by sounding like you put it up, thank you for this lecture you gave me. Jiri Vidim, owner.

Reviewed 22 July 2011

Like many of the other reviewers that prompted me to stay here, I found the Unitas to be spacious, well-equiped and very comfortable though not necessarily plush. The staff is proffessional and helpful and the breakfast buffet is very good. I stayed here for a total of 4 nights and would certainly return. I also stayed at the Hotel Pod Vezi which is about as close as you can get to the Charles Bridge and found it to be very good as well. I will review it separately.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I would recommend this hotel as the location is great and it was value for money. The breakfast was fantastic crêpes and fresh omelettes and a buffet. There where refreshments on every floor for free. The room was very clean and tidy. If I was to visit Prague I would defiantly stay Unitas Hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kirstysmart16
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed at The Unitas for four nights from July 7-10 and were very pleasantly surprised. The hotel is located on a quiet street right opposite a police station! The walk to the rooms was interesting as the corridors were quite long and the rooms spaced apart. This obviously contributed to the low sound levels everywhere in the building.

There was very little traffic on the street, yet we were minutes from the center of the old city and a 10-15 walk to Wenceslas Square (I must admit that I MUCH preferred the old city to the Americanized stores along the Square. I don't need to go to Prague to see McDonalds, Starbucks et al) In fact, we strolled there the first day we were in Prague and didn't go back.

The hotel management was very friendly and most helpful in getting us taxis to the airport and recommending local fare. We strolled the old city, visited the Jewish section, crossed the Charles Bridge and were never more than a 15-20 minute walk from the Unitas.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank PaulfromToronto
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I was apprehensive about staying here as I knew street was going to be quiet and was worried it may be too quiet.. But I was so happy . We had 4 nights in June and it is every bit as good as the reviews say it is but it is true the street is exceptionally quiet. ( Opposite a Police station which was not at all noisy ) The room was huge, separate lounge with DVD player and free DVD’s at reception, (we watched Mission Impossible which was filmed in Prague). The decor is modern so there is no real character like many of the Prague Hotels have and the foyer is very small but it suited us. It has cute bars and restaurants close by and it is such a convenient spot to all sights .It is 5 minutes to Charles Bridge, Old Town Square and Wencelslas Square . Tram 22 leaves about 200 meters from it on the main street , which takes you over the river to the new town and up to the castle. You are able to buy tram tickets from reception. . The young staff on reception are very helpful. There is a catholic church right next door which is beautiful and was once used as the secret police’s shooting range . Breakfast is very good as you can order a cooked breakfast or take the buffet but it is a long walk to the breakfast room

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We stayed four nights at this hotel in July of 2011. It was perfect! Our party consisted of two grandparents, ourselves (couple) and three teen-aged kids. We had one wonderful two-room suite with queen bed in the first gigantic room and a second very large room with three twin beds. A second accomodation was two bedrooms, each with a single bed. Finally, we had a small queen room. All the rooms were impeccably clean, everything new and fresh. The bathrooms were big and beautifully appointed.

The buidling previously served as headquarters for the Secret Police and Vaclav Havel was interrogated there as well as many others. It's a little strange to imagine that the beautiful, spacious, bright hotel was once a dreaded and dreadful place. But it's also pretty cool to get a visceral sense of the triumph of freedom and democracy. Just as those regimes tried to obliterate the past, the hotel successfully overtakes this dark history and shows that we can move on to bright things. We liked knowing of this past and being within these historic spaces was moving.

The location is on a quiet street near the edge of the old town. It's a 2-5 minute walk to the main square, yet just beyond the crowds and noise. A tram passes closeby which takes you across the river and all the way up the hill to the Castle complex so access to all the major sites in Prague is excellent. We were told that many hotels in Prague have small rooms and can be worn out. Not this one. Spacious, impeccable.

Front desk staff were very nice and as helpful as they could be. Home made iced tea and lemonade were served every afternoon. Breakfast was a FEAST. Extremelely generous, fresh and delicious buffet with a huge selection of well prepared food, served in a lovely breakfast room.

We used a guide who we highly recommend: www.prague-guide-radek.com. He was extremeley well informed about history as well as contemporary matters. He had a quick wit and gave us a good sense of Prague's long history, as well as it's vibrant revival since the end of Communism. With a group ranging in age from 12 - 82, he was able to keep everyone happy and engaged - no small feat, and we were glad to be relieved of the need to constantly consult guide books and maps (Pragues is very confusing!).

Last but not least . . . they have their own secure and free (I think it was free!) PARKING in the courtyard of the building. We were touring in a large rented van and this was a fantastic amenity.

HIGHLY recommend this hotel for any traveller of any age, and the price was very reasonable for the quality of the hotel, food and service.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
avoda, Owner at Unitas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

Dear Unitas friends, thank you so much for your great comments I and all people working here had the pleasure to read. And thank you too for your historical feelings you experienced beeing with us. In fact you were more than right, this building bears all burdens of recent Czech history more than other houses around us. It was quite a difficult task to decide what to do with it after the collapse of Communism in 1989. A museum? A memorial place? But the life decided itself, the Sisters, who became owners again, had more buildings returned, all in a desolated condition, needed a source of income to start with this immence job of reconstructions. So a simple pension under the same name - Unitas - started here in 1992 and soon it became the main cash driving tool for restaurations of ruined properties including the Church of St. Bartolomew just next door to it. And as the latest one among all of the properties owned by the Sisters this pension was converted into the hotel you found your likings at, under huge costs and efforts, but I can say it was worth it. So sensitive people like yourselves feel the history, they feel, too, the change of this building´s life as a victory of the new era what made it possible to convert a place of horrors into a place of friendliness. Thank you. Jiri Vidim, hotel owner.