“so glad we stayed at Unitas”
Review of Unitas Hotel

Unitas Hotel
Ranked #9 of 649 Hotels in Prague
san carlos,
“so glad we stayed at Unitas”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Wonderful hotel, quaint with an interesting history. Be sure to see the prison cell on the lower level. Breakfast was included and delicious. Within walking distance of downtown. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Snacks and wine provided in the afternoon.

4 Thank lindadrew13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Breakfast is included and is served until 11am. In the middle of breakfast, I had to take an urgent call regarding a family member who is in the hospital, and when I tried to come back around 11am, the door leading to the breakfast room was closed and locked, and the staff would not let me back in, even when I explained that I just wanted to finish the food on my plate and did not want to get any more food from the buffet. I left a full plate of hot food, coffee, and juice on my table, which went to waste.

Also, for women out there: this hotel is off the beaten path from Old Town, and the street it is located on is poorly lit. The streets surrounding it are also poorly lit, and there are several dark pubs and clubs. Even though there is a police station nearby, walking back to the hotel late at night after dark is a fearful experience -- it's not like there are police on patrol all the time.

There are much better hotels here in Prague -- I've stayed at them.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank socaltraveler07
avoda, Owner at Unitas Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
What a comment, what a rage!! I wonder if the girls knew you were coming back after your urgent phone call was over? I am sure if they knew, they would not have locked the entrance door and they would have kept your food warm and tasty. I spoke with all of them who were in charge that day and they were simply not told. And the city lights, oh yes, it is the thing one usually blames a hotel for..... the clubs and bars, dark and suspicious, are in fact a sort of very civilized businesses, mostly frequented by locals or our guests. I am sorry we were targeted as a lightning rod for your fury over issues we simply couldn´t influence. But anyway, as you put it straight away - we have had good people coming as all other comments testify upon. Thank you. Jiri Vidim - hotel owner
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Excellent location, extremely close to old town. The staff are friendly and helpful. We got a family suite which was very spacious. Breakfast was in a beautifully furnished room and was excellent. We stayed 3 days and would have liked to have stayed for more.

Room Tip: Family suite for a family
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank teufel47
california
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Everything has pretty much been said in the previous reviews. This is an excellent hotel with a great location in Prague. It is very quiet, with huge rooms and a terrific breakfast. It has been modernized but still has a wonderful "old world" charm.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank jag1jag1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Hotel room (luckily one of the larger ones overlooking the inner courtyard), decor and ambiance are all excellent. Only the electric airfresheners were disagreeable, we just put them in a drawer. Quiet location opposite the poilce station, but within 2 or 3 minutes of all the good bits. Staff were very friendly and the breakfast was varied and plentiful. They also had a selection of books and DVDs to borrow, which was a nice little extra.

Room Tip: Room 221 was lovely, big bathroom and quiet.
3 Thank _Clive_02
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We booked with Unitas Hotel and stayed there for 6 nights based on (1) TA reviews and (2) friends' positive feedback. Absolutely no regrets!

Reception staff (Zuzana the petite young lady who helped us call our driver and tour company with her mobile phone to fix a transfer to Kutna Hora and an evening tour, Jakub the friendly guy in the evening and Aneta that we often saw during the day and replied my enquiries before our arrival).

My praise also goes to the breakfast lady. Despite the fact that she had to serve a number of guests in the breakfast room, she was always calm and smiling (never rushing around in a hectic manner). One night (7 Aug) I was using the desktop computer next to the reception, the lady happened to walk by and she took the initiative to say hello to me (smiling as usual). The male staff member dressed in black and standing near the computer was also very friendly and he helped me translate some Czech text in an email, which I had no idea about. Staying in a hotel with such friendly staff around was truly a pleasant experience.

The room itself is very spacious. The corridor is very wide too... For the purpose of energy saving, the corridor lighting is not always on. Simply press the switch and the lights will go on... the funny thing is my husband and I felt a bit scared when walking alone in the WIDE, QUIET corridor, having in mind that the hotel used to be a prison (sometimes I asked him to accompany me to the coffee corner LOL!!)

Air-conditioning worked very well during our stay. Bed and pillows are comfy. Free wifi provided.

Foods served at breakfast are fresh. There was a wide variety and so both my husband and I were very satisfied.

We will certainly stay at the Unitas again if we visit Prague in the future :)

Alice (stayed during 3-9 Aug 2012)

3 Thank TAalice
California
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Our family of 5 spent 3 nights here in August. We had a family suite with a very large main room (including an area with small fridge, sink, dishes and microwave), a love seat and chair, a small dining table and a desk. A separate room had three twin beds. The only downside was one bathroom for 5 of us, but it was impeccably kept and outfitted with nice amenities. If you're looking for a sophisticated, artsy hotel, this is not it. Rather it is spacious, clean, simply decorated and located close - but not too close - to major sites and restaurants in the Old Town. It reminded me of a very nice large pensione. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. There was even an area with a piano where our kids stopped to play and sing!

A major plus was the just 'right-sized' buffet breakfast included in our already low price. Our three kids were craving eggs after many previous continental type breakfasts, and the Unitas delivered tasty omelets to order. Note that the stuffed pancakes you can order separately are actually crepes.

A bit of humor - avoid the candies on your pillow if you want a good sleep. The first night was a chocolate called "Coffee Dreams" and the second night was a Cappuccino hard candy.

Some advice on taxis - if you need one, have the hotel call one for you (or at the train station - the traveler info booth). Taxis will try to charge 2 -3 times the normal amount to tourists (for example, the cabs at the train station wanted 680 K to go to the Unitas (less than 3 kilometers) when the info center arranged cab was 250). Unitas called an extra large van cab to the airport for 5 of us with lots of luggage - a 25 minute drive - for only 900.

Room Tip: Room 336 is a family suite - perfect for 4 or 5!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family