“Fabulous hotel, perfect location”

Hotel U Tri Pstrosu (At the Three Ostriches)
Ranked #164 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hotel, perfect location”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

A beautiful hotel in a perfect location at the west end of the Charles Bridge. Lovely old building with original fresco from its days as home to a seller of ostrich feathers. Handy walking distance of the Castle, old town and all the main sights. My room (23) had a painted wooden beamed ceiling and a view onto the start of the bridge. All staff at reception were friendly and helpful and spoke perfect English. All in all, a wonderful stay!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
New york
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Very good:

Could not be a better location. On the quiet side of the Charles Bridge, right in the middle of everything. Beautiful neighborhood.
The price was great, especially for a decent hotel in that neighborhood.

Relatively good:

The breakfast was plentiful, if relatively unexciting.
Everything was pretty clean.
Historic building.
Staff was usually helpful, though surprisingly did not know some basic facts about the neighborhood (where buy toothpaste...)

A little disappointing:
Internet was sporadic, I guess the walls are so thick it is hard for signals to get through. They had an internet room where you could get reception, but their computer in that room was having major problems.
The room was small. I had read that it was small, and I had thought, oh well, I'm from NY, I don't mind small rooms. Turned out--no really, it was small. No room really to put suitcases, no dresser in the room (where would it fit?), one tiny closet.
For me, the bed was a little uncomfortable, but that may just be taste.

Overall:
I still liked the hotel, it was a decent place to stay and when you consider the price and location, an excellent deal.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Beautiful hotel and great location, surrounded by everything, specially loved how it is right next to the charles bridge. Great service, clean and peaceful rooms.

Only little problem for some people could be that there is no elevator, but i think thats it, NOTHING ELSE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.

I stayed at the beginning of october on the first floor, I actually dont remember if i was in room 15 or 16. Really quiet inside the hotel, peaceful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I booked a room with a view of the bridge through the hotel's website, but instead got a room with a view of a wall of the adjacent building. I asked for the correct room, but was told that even though my email from Tri Pstrosu indicated a room with a view, the rate I paid was for a standard single without a view. The hotel website uses a booking engine and evidently they don't guaranty its accuracy or honor the reservations. I should've emailed the hotel directly I was informed. Stupid me.
The room was quiet enough except when the manager was in his office, which was directly across the hall.
Some people may like the location, but I found it to be more hassle than it was worth. During the day there is a constant hoard of tourists funneling through the walkway at the front door. Most of the time I found myself walking across the bridge to eat and see the sites anyway. Also, if you arrive by car you have to park a block away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank kudsk
utripstrosu, General Manager at Hotel U Tri Pstrosu (At the Three Ostriches), responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Mr. Kudsk, I have checked all the informations mentioned in your review, but I found out, that you are not objective. You booked a standard dbl room (single use). Because we were fully booked, we could not upgrade your room for another one. Our location is one of the most popular sites in Prague, so how you can be disappointed by the number of people in our area? Finally, I would like to apologize for the fact, that I was present in my office at the time of your stay. In this case, I do not understand, why you did not contact me. I would definitely find a solution. With regards David Starý, hotel manager
Mandurah
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Great hotel right at the base of Charles Bridge.
Surrounded by heaps of restaurants and cafes. Easy to walk to everything.
Surprisingly quiet hotel in busy spot.
Really comfy beds.
A truly great find!
Nothing to complain about.

Room Tip: Brilliant location
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MerlieD
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We have just returned from a fabulous stay at this Hotel.Perfect location,spotlessly clean and beautiful rooms.I had upgraded our rooms for a suite as a surprise for our party and they were thrilled.On the 2nd day as it was my birthday the hotel had left a bottle of champagne on ice for me, how nice.We were in rooms 31 and 14 with lovely views and had no problem with noise from Charles Bridge.Breakfast was good with enough choice and the service received was amazing.

Room Tip: Suites are amazing
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jill H
Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2013

This is one of those places that you're hesitant to review because you worry that it will be full next time you want to go. LOL.
We were four couples travelling together and looking for a place for all of us in central Prague for late September. The reservation process was painless. My email questions were answered within minutes.
Best part of this place was Romana Bokova, one of the front desk personnel. She was amazingly helpful and professional. A beautiful person. Rooms were a good size. We had a huge room with a King bed. Our friends all loved their rooms and views. The hotel is right on the Charles Bridge West end. Close to everything, including the tram line a half block away. There is no elevator but if you have a problem with stairs, you should think about Prague in general because it is the least access-friendly city I've been to. That's a shame for folks who have restricted movement because it's the most friendly-beautiful-combined city I've been to as well. The only drawback might be if you were here during warm weather when you would need to keep your windows open (no AC) because the bridge and street noise goes much of the day and night. We were fine because of the cooler evenings.
ATM in the lobby, bakery attached to the building, outside bar on the street, breakfast included and quite substantial. One of the most fun things we did in Prague was take a Segway tour with . They're just around the corner from the hotel. See my review.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple