“Great hotel in Prague (with a taxi tip)”

Design Hotel Josef Prague
Ranked #39 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Arrived in Prague by train from Germany for our 3rd visit. Big tip here, if you want a taxi at the train station, go to the Information Desk and get them to book for you. Avoid the Yellow Perils at the station unless you have deep pockets. I was quoted CzK900 (£33) for a 2km journey but walked away from the offer. One of the drivers caught up with me and offered CzK480 including tip. We finally settled for CzK400 (£14). On checking in at the Josef the staff found it amusing that I had managed to get there for CzK400 as some travellers get hit for CzK1200 (£44). I was told that getting a taxi from the Info Desk would be about CzK200 (£7). Lesson learned.

Back to the Josef, we found it the boutique hotel we had hoped for. Very clean, very modern and very white. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. The room was big enough for our needs and comfortable. Breakfast was very nice with buffet and fresh cooked options. My wife found cheesecake available which is a first for breakfast. We were lucky to get a 3 nights for 2 deal which made the cost very affordable. The hotel is 5 minutes walk from the main square and there are plenty of bars, restaurants and cafes in the area.
The gym and sauna are small and very quiet during our visit. If you want to use the sauna you have to give an hours notice so it can be heated up (that's a first for me).
The hotel offers their own in-house cars if you don't want to use taxis and the price, although a bit more expensive well worth it (haggle the price at reception to get it nearer to a taxi fare). It made a nice end to our holiday being whisked to the airport in a very well equipped executive car driven by a chauffeur.

Prague is one of our favourite places and still affordably cheap but getting more expensive each time we visit.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank burnieScotland
Write a ReviewReviews (2,566)

Reviewed 25 August 2011

I was happily shocked to see how close to the Old Town Square, and yet away from the tourist crowd this hotel was. I accompanied my husband who was in Prague for business. It was awesome being able to walk alone simply everywhere, down the Old Town Square, across the Charles Bridge, up the hill to the Vitus Cathedral and all the way back again. The decoration of the hotel was modern, but not sacrificing comfort. Not traditional Czech at all, but having enjoyed the city throughout the day, I welcomed modern comfort at night. Breakfast was excellent and I enjoyed eating in the silent garden very much.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2011

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and we loved it!

I love this hotel's interior design. It was very modern and had a character. Its breakfast was lovely. In addition to normal hotel buffet, they had a menu that you could choose from (ie. egg benedict, pancakes etc). We had a such a big breakfast that we did not even bother to have lunch. Our room was very spacious but the bed was a little uncomfortable. Again, I liked their furniture and how they decorated their room. Bathroom was lovely. We are even thinking of renovating our bathroom like what they have so we took some photos :) I also enjoyed their Aveda soaps. They also had free wi-fi which was really fast.

Overall, if I go back to Prague, I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank njhy438
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Originally I was looking for a hotel with lots of old world charm but a friend recommended this hotel so decided to book this design hotel. We were so glad we did. Great location, great reception staff, and good room. We lucked out with no view but had booked late and got a good deal on one of the last minute booking websites. Because of the good room rate there was no breakfast which we prefer as we like o get amongst the locals and drink coffee where they do. The hotel recommended a coffee shop literally two minutes away, the Bakehouse with one of the best coffees we've had in six weeks of traveling through Europe and a great selection of pastries, cakes fresh fruit salad and muesli and yoghurt. Hotel organized their car to pick us up from the station - this is a private car and driver nit a taxi service for around ten euros. After a hard days sightseeing with sire feet and head swimming with facts and images it was a pleasure to walk through the doors if this design hotel with it's clean lines and minimalistic feel.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 14 August 2011

While the see-through bathroom was unnecessary, everything else about the hotel was quite nice. Well located on a quiet street readily accessible to the Old Town Square, the amazing Jewish Quarter and the Charles Bridge. Breakfasts were well done. Concierge was helpful. Room service good. Some reception staff were friendly and engaging, others somewhat distant. Prague can seem like Disneyworld at peak times, and other hotels in Prague in which I have stayed seem to have the same crowded tempo, but Hotel Joseph provides a pleasant escape from the crowds.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank 6101FCD
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Stayed for six nights and loved it! Soundproofed rooms, great pillows, showers etc. Breakfast a daily treat. Calm, tranquil building and garden. Walking distance from central square and tourist tat. My wife was hospitalised after a Segway accident (!) and hotel prepared fresh fruit etc. for her every morning. We'll be back,

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Went for a long weekend with 2 girlfriends. Stayed in superior twin room. Excellent value. Room very comfortable. Lovely Aveda products in bathroom. Breakfast is excellent and goes till 11.30. It was included in our room rate and we could order off menu as well as help ourselves to the buffet. We stayed for hours! The location is great. The staff were very friendly and ready to help in whatever way we needed. I will return!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends