“Slight disappointment after previous visits”

Design Hotel Josef Prague
Ranked #40 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Manchester
“Slight disappointment after previous visits”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I've stayed in the Josef on several different occasions and I didn't hesitate to chose it again for a trip to Prague I undertook in October 2011. The hotel itself was as good as ever however there were a couple of problems with this trip.

First of all I arrived late on a Friday night only to be told that "sorry, there is a problem with your room" which is hotel speak for "as you've already paid for your room at a reduced rate we have sold it again at a higher price" and I was told I would have to go to the Grand Hotel Bohemia for the first night of my stay and that one of their drivers would take me there. Reluctantly I agreed and was taken to the other hotel (see seperate review) and herein lies the second problem.

As it was quite late, and not knowing where this other hotel was, I asked the driver to take me to U Vejvodu as I knew that would be open at this time of night to get something to eat. As it turned out the Grand Hotel Bohemia is only 200 metres away from the Hotel Josef and the driver when taking me to the pub for food took an extremely lengthy route and upon arrival insited on charging me 400Kc for it. A complete rip off and although the driver was very charming and talkative I was not impressed by this at all. It got my trip off to a bad start and has slightly tainted my view of the Josef.

Other than that, when I did finally get to check in everything went smoothly and I was offered a free breakfast for the rest of my stay to compensate for not being able to stay there the first night. The room was big and comfortable although I wasn't to keen on the raised glass bathroom bit as opposed to the more traditional bathrooms I've seen in other Josef rooms.

I'd still recommend it though, just stay clear of their in house driving service!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony - these usually cost more, but you might get one for a standard price...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Drake_Sheldon
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

thank you for taking time to write a review.

Let me apologize for what happened during your stay. Undoubtedly the driver made a mistake, charging you, and we are truly sorry for that.

I hope you have enjoyed the rest of your stay in Josef. We are truly looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sohland an der Spree, Germany
Reviewed 29 January 2012

hotel josef was an outstanding experience of pampering service. - polite, smiling and efficient staff added to top even the perfect location of the hotel in the city-centre.
use their limo-offers - a worthy add-on for very fair rates compared to the normal taxis.
breakfast was very good, maybe they could improve on the selection of cheese and the quality of coffee served at breakfast. but otherwise all was splendid.
coffee in the lobby was of hgihgest quality :-)

1 Thank Sugharian
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

let me thank you for such a constructive review! It is a pleasure to know you have enjoyed your stay, and so kindly mention the staff and the hotel car service.

Thank you for the remark concerning cheese and coffee. We are already working on this issue.
I hope you will enjoy the changes next time we see you in Hotel Josef!

Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed at the hotel josef for a long weekend to celebrate my partners 30th. After booking the hotel I emailed their concierge to let them know it was my partners birthday and to see if there was any restaurants they could suggest. They were more then helpful and on arrival they had placed champagne, chocolates and a cake with candles in our room, my partner was really chuffed.
The rooms are lovely and clean, also very quiet. The breakfast was very tasty and lots to choose from. The location is good and close to the old square, we walked everywhere.
One night we decided to stay in our room and hire one of their DVDs, we were very suprised when the lady from reception brought us up a big bowl of popcorn. We thought this was really lovely and thoughtful.
Overall we were more then happy with everything about the hotel but the staff really were outstanding. They were always so helpful and friendly and we liked all the little added touches that made us feel really special. I would definately reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Dear Hollie,

thank you for a great feedback! It truly is a pleasure to know you enjoyed celebrating your partner's birthday, and had a great time in Prague.

All our staff is happy you appreciated breakfast, the service, and those little touches you are mentioning in your review.

We are looking forward to your next stay in Hotel Josef!

Glasgow
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Stayed at the Josef for four nights and have no complaints about this hotel. Our room was spacious, spotless and had everything that we needed. As many have said, the Aveda toiletries were a nice touch and there is a really powerful shower in the bathroom.
We took advantage of the sauna which is brilliant, you need to book an hour in advance but it's worth it with bottled water and robes provided.
We didn't sample the hotel breakfast as at 500czk per person it seemed a little steep and there are many local cafes and bakeries that offer substantial tastey breakfasts for much less (highly recommend the Bakeshop and Bohemia Bagel).
The location of this hotel is fantastic, 5 minutes walk to the Old Town square and many bars and restaurants on the way. It's a great base to explore Prague city centre. Would definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask for a see through bathroom, it's quite cool!
1 Thank Luizeph
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, 21 January 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

thank you for your great feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your stay.
Now that winter is upon us, it is especially nice to take our complimentaru sauna. And maybe some contrast shower afterwords, if you are into a bit of extreme.

We are looking forward to seeing you again in Hotel Josef!

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Wonderful breakfasts with attentive and friendly staff.
Short walk to old town square and tourist sights.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

thank you for your response, mentioning the staff and the breakfast.
We look forward to seeing you again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We stayed over new year in this hotel in Prague and were impressed. It is conveniently located within Old Town and close to all the main sights. Our room had a nice view of the old town and was well furnished with comfortable bed and good quality bathroom and shower (and Aveda products). Breakfast was excellent, with a good choice on the buffet and also the option of a cooked breakfast (the pancakes in particular were great). We were also given a welcome cocktail on arrival. The staff were also very helpful indeed.

On the negative side, we had booked a pick up from the train station, but unfortunately this didn't arrive (which was annoying after a long train ride from Berlin and also the fact they emailed in advance to warn that we would still be charged if we didn't meet the driver). When we explained this to the front desk on arrival they accepted this was an admin error on their part and arranged a complementary transfer to the airport for our return flight home to compensate. Although we had a nice view from our room, it was tempered by the fact that it was next to the lift and, oddly, the floor space around the lift was tiled (whereas the rest of the floor was carpeted) which contributed to greater noise. The bar area also lacked atmosphere and we only stayed there for one drink.

But overall this was a great place to stay and we would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

we highly appreciate your review. Thank you for taking time to comment on the view, your room, breakfast and the staff. It is a pleasure to know you have enjoyed your stay.

Please accept our deep apologies for the error with the transfer.

We look forward to seeing you soon in Hotel Josef!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We had an amazing stay at Hotel Josef. The hotel is very modern, well-located and the staff was fantastic. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms include an array of Aveda products. The room service was really good too. My husband and I own a business so the business center came in handy if we needed to print something or do a little work. We'd definitely stay there again and would recommend this hotel to other couples and travelers.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Mrs. Nava,

thank you for your kind feedback. It truly makes us happy that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for mentioning room service and the business center.

We are looking forward to your next stay in Hotel Josef!