“Good for business and leisure”

Design Hotel Josef Prague
Ranked #41 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Just returned from a business trip to Prague - but stayed for the weekend afterwards to enjoy the city. Overall the hotel was excellent and the staff very attentive and helpful. On check-in I was given a room on a high floor (as requested) and even got a balcony (I did not book this type of room so consider it something of an upgrade). The room (703) was lovely. Highlights include: excellent city view, comfortable bed, generally high levels of cleanliness, nice furniture and features. The glass bathrooms are great. While I wouldn't have said the room was small, it was notable that comparing it to a room without a balcony on a lower floor (205), it was a little tight on space. I think the sacrifice was worth it for the view though! There were a few issues with the room: firstly it was too hot and neither of the two climate controls seemed to generate any cool air. I also wasn't sure how the two different controls worked together - some instructions would be good. I suspect that the a/c was not switched on at all. Secondly, the motorised blinds on the outside of the windows mysteriously open/close of their own accord. They once closed in the middle of the night but reopened by morning and another day I closed them in the morning before taking a shower and when I had finished they were open again. Strange... Also, the hotel gives each room an umbrella but the one in 703 was faulty. Luckily I didn't need it so I didn't bother reporting it to reception. One of the electrical sockets was also a bit loose.

I was impressed by the general condition of the hotel; for example, the 7th floor corridor looked to be in excellent condition yet during my stay, they started repainting the walls to freshen it up. Pretty impressive considering they already looked clean and new. This sort of attention to detail is a sign that the hotel really does make an effort.

Reception staff were really helpful with directions, travel costs and tips, and late check-out. The barman was friendly and efficient. They all would say hello/goodbye when passing through the lobby. The business centre was well-equipped with Apple computers, a printer and free water. The reception desk had ipads for guests to browse.

Breakfast was amazing - great selection, table service for eggs, pancakes etc and a generally high quality of food. Especially loved the teapots for guests with the spout at right angles to the handle. Almost asked if I could buy one from them! Again, some great attention to detail which is indicative of good service and high standards.

I highly recommend Hotel Josef. Along with all the great features and staff, the location is convenient being just a few moments from the metro and a short walk from the old town square.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street (to the front of the hotel) have a good view if you get a high floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank RoniSi
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

thank you for such a great review! It is a pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay, namely the room, view, our staff, the breakfast and the hotel in general.

Let me say that the motorized blinds are controlled not only by the guest, but also by the automatic system, which adjusts them to the wind and sunlight.
As for the climate controls, one is responsible for the overall room temperature, while the other one monitors floor heating in the bathroom.

We continuously strive towards achieving excellence in our effort to create memorable hotel experience for our guests, so thank you again for your kind feedback.

Looking forward to your next stay,

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I arrived at the Josef hotel in the early evening and I was given room 409, just less that one meter from the two elevators. Useless to point out that the room was quite noisy although I requested a quiet accommodation (and the hotel was half empty). The second room - 406 - was already occupied so I had the "pleasure" to find other guests inside it. The third room was very cold, but I had a business dinner and I just dropped my staff in it. After dinner, back in the room (306), I realised there was no heating and no water. I had to go downstairs again to notify this at the reception desk as nobody was answering the lobby number. The man at the reception confirmed that they were aware of the issue, but he was not able to give me any indication on when the issue could have been sorted out. I asked an immediate check out and moved to the Hilton.
Rooms might be nice, but first impressions count and this is the Josef business card I received. I was contacted again by the hotel after two days and I was offered an upgrade to a superior room next time I will happen to be in Prague. Too late.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Giovanni141967
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

thank you for sharing your feedback with us. At Hotel Josef we continually strive to exceed our guests’ personal service standards, and it is important for us to know when we are not doing so.

Let us deeply apologise for what happened during your stay. We will make sure this mistake will not happen again.

We are hoping to see you again in Hotel Josef.

Reviewed 23 February 2012

I went here for a long weekend with my wife and 2 teenage children in Feb 2012. It is very well located being about 200m from the Old Square with lots of attractions within a short walk. The hotel is modern in design but the overall effect is tasteful. Iniitially it feels like a well run business chain hotel, but after a while you see a lot of nice touches which when combined with the friendliness and efficiency of the staff really makes it feel like a much more tailored product - which indeed it is.
The breakfasts are fantastic, with the usual buffet but also a good mixture of dishes prepared to order.
The bedrooms and bathrooms are quite reasonably sized and comfortable.
We used the hotel car to pick us up and take us back to the airport. It was a fixed price and slightly more than the average taxi but I thought worth it.
Overall its hard to fault

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

all our team is grateful you took time to write such a great feedback. Thank you for mentioning location, breakfast, rooms and a hotel car service. Our guests' satisfaction inspires us for a further improvement.

Let me also thank you for commenting on our staff. We are happy you enjoyed all the aspects of your stay, and had a great time in Prague.

Looking forward to seeing you again in Hotel Josef!

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Booked this as a birthday present for my wife and it proved to be a very enjoyable and relaxing 4 day break. The staff at the hotel were very good - pleasant and always willing to help out. Breakfast was very good - and again the service excellent. Our room was great - the shower fantastic. Little touches like the bowl of strawberries went down well. Would certainly stay here again.
Only point - for the hotel - we would have liked a little more info / booklet on what was available and how things worked. The young Irish lad at reception deserves a special mention for sorting our breakfast problem!

Room Tip: Make sure you know if you have a shower or bath
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank david c
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

let me thank you for taking time to write such a kind review, mentioning the staff, breakfast, your room and little touches. I am happy it all contributed to making your special occasion memorable.

We are always looking for ways to improve our service, so thank you for your comment. It will be taken into account when making a new issue of the Updated Just for Your booklet, available in every room.

I look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 14 February 2012

Hotel is in a great location and very modern best bartender in prague "jiri". Very beautiful city and wonderful people

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

thank you for your feedback, and for choosing Hotel Josef for such a special occasion.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for mentioning Jiri, our bartender, he is a true master of his trade.

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 12 February 2012

My partner and I are lucky. We get to travel a lot, some for work and much for play. We get to go to Asia several times a year and Europe a little less  often but usually a few destinations every year.

We had the good fortune to be in Prague this week staying at the Hotel Josef. We don't often write reviews but the level of service,support and commitment to guests is better than anything we can think of in the last few decades of travel.  We have stayed at cheaper places and more expensive ones but never at a property that exudes such a friendly, sincere and service oriented attitude.

I could wax lyrical about the  bright open spaces and the excellent breakfast.  More importantly however, is attitude. It was routinely and uniformly warm and helpful. Someone there is recruiting carefully, leading effectively and being very supportive.  It looks and feels like a great place to work.

I don't know when we will get back to Prague but I will definitely be recommending this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: February 2012
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

let me kindly thank you for such a kind and cordial review!

It is a great pleasure to know that Hotel Josef stands out among many places you have visited. We are delighted you have enjoyed your stay, namely bright open spaces, breakfast, service and, of course, the atmosphere.

All our staff is happy to be a part of such a united team, and provide a guest-oriented service on this strong basis.

We are looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 11 February 2012

Great experience. Really nice hotel with comfortable room. Great service and breakfast. Great Location near everything!!!!
Price/ quality The best choice!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

thank you for a such a great feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your room, location, breakfast and the service.

Looking forward to seeing you again in Hotel Josef!