“Perfect stay!”

Ranked #42 of 650 Hotels in Prague
Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania
“Perfect stay!”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I don't even know where to begin this review so I will sum it up from the get go: it has comfortably settled on the number one spot of my favorite hotels (which it shares with another hotel for now).

It would be fair I guess to begin with the pre-arrival phase: I have not been travelling for long but I did not take long before becoming a fussy traveler. I email hotels in advance of booking to make sure that all the little details that usually interest me are in place there and, I am not going to lie, the way in which they reply to that first email makes a huge difference for me. If a small hotel takes many days to reply or never replies, my impression of them is a bad one. If a big hotel replies quickly, then they have even more of my attention and favors. And I think Hotel Josef took only a couple of hours to come back to me. Not only that but they patiently replied to all of my questions (on rooms, on transfers, etc), with a constant positive attitude and all the intention to be helpful. Not once did they make me feel like I was bothering them. And something which has never happened to me before - the guest relations manager wrote to me a couple of days prior to my arrival to offer any last minute assitance I might need. Until now no hotel ever bothered to acknowledge that they were aware I would soon arrive. So a huge thank you to Andrea, Mirka, Marketa, Zuzana (and I do apologize if I forgot anyone who put up with me).

Room and services: I was in room 112 in the orange building. I booked a single deluxe room through the hotel website, the "Stay 4 nights pay 3" offer - I am still not sure if the room I got was a single or a double because it was positively huge compared to what I expected. One of the biggest (if not the biggest) rooms I have stayed in, modern furniture, very well illuminated, just the right amoung of power sockets if you need to charge more than one thing at once (and they provide an adapter too for plugs typical to other parts of the world). I had coffee and tea amenities in my room - never used them but it looked like very good quality products. Sauna access was also included in the room price but I never got around to using that eiher. The bathroom was spacious enough, quite a large and comfy bathtub (many thanks for managing to accomodate this request of mine), plenty of room if you bring your own toiletries and I understand that a fully array of toiletries can be made available if you forgot to bring your own (toothbrush, etc). The bed was comfortable, I slept like a rock. Pretty good soundproofing too, I could hear no noise from the hallway. The room itself faced the garden where breakfast could be taken and it was right above the breakfast room. The hotel offered one free water bottle per day, a small detail which can make a huge difference when you are exhausted and have had no more energy to crawl to the corner shop and get some. Not to mention that it's nice not to feel forced to buy it from the minibar. The room also had a DVD player and you could borrow DVDs from the reception desk (chosing from a catalogue); the selection was more than decent and suitable for everyone's taste.

Breakfast: mine was included in the room rate but, either way, I think it is definitely worth the value for money. Fresh bread, made in front of your eyes! Fresh pastries! I felt like I could have breakfast just with bread and nothing more (the pumpkin seed one, the cereal one, the baguettes - amazing). Part of the room opens into the servicing / kitchen area and you can watch the chef preparing all these goodies, you can talk to him - he greets you with a smile and isn't bothered that you keep him from working. The buffet selection was good, plenty for vegetarians, plenty for meat lovers. In addition to the buffet you can also an item off the menu (such as eggs benedict or omlettes, pancakes) and you can have fresh coffee if you don't want to go with the Nesspresso option. The breakfast room is very well staffed, everyone is attentive and kind.

Staff: everyone is smiling! You really get the vibe that they want you to have the best of your time with their hotel and that you do mean something for them, you're not another one in the crowd of guests. They are doing their best to accomodate your needs: bathroom sink tap kept being a pain and making puddles - it got replaced; too cold in the room (heating was off, it being August), they had no objections to sending this odd person an extra blanket. I tip my hat to all of them and I wish more hotel staff around the world was this nice and dedicated. Also, great English skills, you won't have trouble communicating with them if you are relatively fluent in English.

Location: If you don't mind walking 5-10 minutes to get to the Old Town Square and Astronomical Clock, this is the right place for you. The Powder Tower is also very easy to get to, you have both Celetna and Na Prikope Streets close for shopping (after a 5-10 minute walk down Na Pricope I found myself in Wenceslav Square!) and dining opportunities. Tram stops roughly around the corner, heading for Mala Strana and the Castle (you can buy tickets at the reception desk). After one too many horror stories about taxis in Prague I opted to have the hotel car pick me up from / take me to the airport and I do not regret the decision - comfy ride, patient driver, really worth the extra money.

When I return to Prague, this would definitely be my top choice (unless I decide to try out their sister hotel, the Maximilian). I really did not find anything to deter me from returning.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden should be the quietest but there is not much traffic (tourists or cars) on t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Camelia I
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Camelia,

Thank you so much for your amazing feedback and really nice, detailed review about your recent stay at Hotel Josef on our TripAdvisor page.

We are really happy to know that you have such good memories about your time in Prague and it is especially great to hear that we could contribute to a great experience here. It is also really flattering that we can be one of your top favorite hotels and we are so humbled and delighted to hear that you were satisfied with so many aspects of your stay with us.

On behalf of the entire team I would also like to thank you for the recognition of our staff members and mentioning how much you appreciated the kind service we provided you with to ensure a pleasant and enjoyable time in the Golden City.

It would be lovely to have you back for a future stay with us!

Warm Regards,
Andrea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Excellent from start to finish. We booked a room with a balcony which was a great decision. Breakfasts at the Josef are a delight. A fresh cooked choice daily as well as scrumptious buffet. Couldn't fault it. All staff are friendly, helpful and super efficient. Location was great. We went on two bike tours and Praha Bike is literally round the corner. Very quick walk to Old Town Square. Great choice of restaurants nearby. Complimentary cocktail in Josef Bar was just the ticket. Will definitely stay again on next visit to Prague.
Alison Harrogate

Room Tip: Balcony good choice
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alison R
Dear Alison,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful feedback with us on our TripAdvisor page.
It is so lovely and encouraging at the same time to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked so many aspects here from the very beginning to the end! We are so glad to read reviews like yours and we sincerely hope to have the opportinity to welcome you back in the future.

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Trip Advisor lists free breakfast but we were advised by the hotel staff that it is a mistake and would cost $30.00 per person per night. Breakfast might be very good or not. As Prague is inexpensive and seems to have many close alternatives, we will be going elsewhere. The hotel, itself is very clean and compares nicely to other nice European hotels. (Although free internet seems to be very slow). The location is very good without being too close to the late night crowds.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alsexpr
Dear alsexpr,

Thank you for your review on our Tripadvisor page and we were happy to read that you were satisfied with the cleanliness and location of Hotel Josef.

However, we were disappointed to read that you were misled in regards to the breakfast which was not included in your reservation through TripAdvisor. All bookings which are made directly through Hotel Josef will always include breakfast, however unfortunately we are not able to fully control what other websites offer, and how they phrase booking conditions. If in doubt, you can always contact us directly and we will be able to provide further information.

We are really sorry that the fact that breakfast was not included in your booking has influenced your stay with us in a negative way, but we truly hope that you were still able to enjoy your time in Prague and collect many happy memories.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The staff at this hotel were exceptional and we spent three nights at this delightful hotel. However, the following week our reservations had to be cancelled at the last minute due to unavoidable changes in our itinerary stranding my family in another city and causing us to miss our international flights home. The hotel management refused to negotiate our cancellation and charged us full fare for two rooms due to a rigid adherence to their policy on last minute cancellations. As a small business owner myself, I understand the contractual obligations of running a business, yet was disappointed in this management's inflexibility in working out a fair settlement. I am sorry to report this hotel proved to be less than reasonable when it came to emergency changes.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank oaksi123
HotelJosef, Operations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear oaksi123,

First of all, thank you very much for the positive feedback about your three nights stay at Hotel Josef – we are pleased to read that you were delighted about not only the hotel, but also our staff.

As we discussed in our email conversation, we completely understand the problems you faced due to the fact that you accidentally took the train from Budapest to Belgrade instead to Prague. When you realized what happened and you called us in the evening of your day of arrival, several of our staff did their very best to assist you to return to Budapest that night and they spent a lot of their working time that evening on the phone with you trying to help.

Whilst we are fully aware that plans can change due to unforeseen circumstances, our position is that of a small, fully independent hotel business that had its part of the accommodation contract fulfilled. As we were not able to resell your rooms on that night, we still had to insist on the cancellation fee.

We are disappointed to read that although you enjoyed your previous stay with us, you have rated Hotel Josef as „poor“ only because you feel that we should not charge you a late cancellation fee which you agreed to upon booking stage.

For other readers of this review – in case you require further information regarding our cancellation policy, please do not hesitate to contact our reservations team at reservation@hoteljosef.com.

Kind regards

Florentine Rehm
Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Reviewed 10 August 2014

It's the one of best hotel I have ever stayed.

Very Very.. kindly and helpful staffs ~!!! Just like your friend.

Great location of the old town of Prague

The modern luxury design and equipment in the room.
and more detailed and intimated goods in room.

The restaurant for breakfast is also really nice, handmade bread and customized juice of mixed fruit

They gave us a perfect ending of this Europe trip~!!

I think we must come again.

Thanks for you All.....

Room Tip: Booking Superior deluxe room is valuable
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank subow2001
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear subow2001,

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback regarding your stay at Hotel Josef on our TripAdvisor page!
We were really happy to read how much you enjoyed our facilities and it makes us especially proud to know that you appreciated the attentiveness of our team.
It would be our greatest pleasure to have you staying with us again!

Sydney
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I stayed 4 nights and we can't speak highly enough of the excellent service and friendliness of the staff. The room lived up to expectations and the breakfast selection was excellent. The hotel arranged a limousine pick up and drop off to the airport and when we arrived we were taken on a walking tour to orient ourselves with the area. The hotel is ideally situated for exploring almost everything you want to see on foot. It is certainly a hotel we would not hesitate to return to the next time we visit Prague.

Room Tip: Our room was a corner room overlooking the street. Except for some party goers in the street late at...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pakman
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear pakman,

Many thanks for leaving your wonderful review about your experiences at Hotel Josef on our TripAdvisor page.
It was our greatest pleasure to read that you had an enjoyable time here and we are glad that you were satisfied with so many aspects of your stay with us.
We look forward to seeing you again!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel! Very well located! Walking distance to almost all tourist sites! Very comfortable hotel, modern, clean. Amazing service from
everyone, especially Renata at the front desk. Be sure to check Lokal (czech pub/restaurant), which is a 2 min walk away!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Amanda C
Dear Amanda C,

Thank you so much for the lovely feedback on our TripAdvisor page! It was really nice to read your positive comments about your stay at our hotel and we hope to see you again soon!