“Nice hotel, great location, terrible spa”
Review of Hoffmeister & Spa

Hoffmeister & Spa
Ranked #78 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Myself and my partner have just come back from a two night stay at the Hoffmeister Spa Hotel, apart from a terrible experience with some spa treatments we booked, we would happily recommend the hotel and especially if you manage to book at the price we paid.

The hotel's location is perfect, just below the castle and about a 10 minute walk from the centre. I must say the pictures on the website of the hotel’s exterior are misleading as it's not quite as serine as they depict; it's actually on an incredibly busy road under a graffiti covered railway bridge - noise certainly wasn't an issue for us though and once you enter the hotel you breath a sigh of relief as the interior has a really charming feel to it.
We booked a couple of month's in advance through a comparison sight and ended up paying £65 per night which I think is pretty good value.

The trip was part of our Honeymoon travels. I emailed the Hoffmeister before arrival requesting for a nice quiet room and we were delighted with what we were given. The room was very spacious, immaculately clean and the best feature… double Jacuzzi bath!

The reason I can't award this hotel 5 stars was due to a really terrible experience we had with their spa and also in the way they followed up (or didn't) on our situation. We booked a side by side one hour ''relaxing'' massage on the evening we arrived. Unfortunately when we arrived at the time we booked we were informed that they weren't able to see us as one of the masseuses had apparently heat their wrist. As we had changed our evening plans to have the massage this was rather frustrating but these things happen.
We re-booked for the following morning. We came down just before the time we booked and were asked to change into robes; we then followed our masseuses through and were shown through to the treatment room. Immediately outside the treatment room was an enormous communal hotub which was available to all of the hotel guests and as soon as the massage begun all we could hear was shouting, laughing and splashing of other guests about 12 feet from where we were laying. We complained twice and asked if they could be asked to keep it down but all we got was an apology before being told that they were guests as well. On top of this the hour long massage, we had paid over £60 each for, was one of the worst either of us had ever had. We were unable to relax mostly because of the noise from outside and also the very strange choice of music they were playing, Luther Vandross seemed to be on repeat, the room was far too brightly lit; the masseuses didn't seem particularly experienced (repetitive strokes, which became boring and constantly breaking contact). They also missed some of the fundamental rituals of a good massage, we weren't given a consultation, we weren't offered to shower fist, we weren't offered water before or after... all in all a terrible experience!
We passed on our feedback when we checked out and coincidently the Spa Manager was behind Reception at the time. What was really frustrating was that he knew all about our experience and knew that it wasn’t one which we enjoyed – so why were we not approached? Not a five star experience and certainly not a five star service. They did offer a little 20% discount which was too small a gesture offered too late.

So my advice; stay at the hotel, stay out of their spa!

Room Tip: Request a quiet room as the road is very busy
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sam R
HoffmeisterPrague, Manager at Hoffmeister & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Sam R,

Thank you very much for your review. We are very happy with your positive comment about our hotel. It is important for us to make our guests happy with services we provide. On the other hand I am bit concerned about your spa comments.

I sincerely apologize for your massage experience. The usual experience of our guests with the treatments we offer is always excellent and we are very glad for any insights to improve the services.

I will certainly reconsider the choice of music.

Water and fruits are offered before entering to the "spa area" - in the hallway where on the left there are showers and on the right you go to treatment rooms or to Jacuzzi. For the future I will make sure that guests are verbally warned to use it. It is not a decoration after all.

As regards taking a shower before massage that is more complex thing. Someone says it is good to take warm shower to "heat" the muscles and skin up to open up to he massage. Someone says it is not advisable. Then it might be considered from hygienically point of view but we presume that all hotel guests might use bathroom in the room and come to the massage directly in bathrobes and hence this step might be omitted.

For the masseurs I can only say that we cooperate with all of them for years and with some for decade already. They present a "diplomas" on their education and they also work in other hotels in Prague. If they were not good I believe other hotels were not using them too and same comments would be seen on other 5 star properties offering massage services. May I kindly ask you for sending us some insights about what you found not so fit to your taste of their massage technique? It would be great to get notions from someone attentive like you.

And about the noise of other guests. I am sorry for that. This is a sensitive situation and I believe that masseurs took the step to remedy it. We certainly will consider arranging sound proof doors to the massage room (during a hotel reconstruction we plan for January 2014) if this is an issue.

If you have more insights feel free to share them with me on my email petr.novotny@hoffmeister.cz

Best regards and thank you,

Petr Novotny

Reviewed 1 November 2013

it was our 25th wedding anniversary and we decided Prague would be a beautiful place to spend it and was lucky enough to book into the Hoffmeister Hotel , we were greeted by very friendly but proffessional staff , the hotel is stunning ,thank you all for a great experience

Room Tip: all rooms are nice
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is one of the Best hotels i've stayed on. From our arrivel the service was vers High eventhough we came too early to check in. The hotel rooms are nicely decorated and the spa area is very Nice too. Can really recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hoffmeister and we're pleasantly surprised with the amazing service provided by all the staff. Top it off with a convenient location and a good staying experience, and you have a winning combination. Thumbs Up

Reviewed 24 October 2013

hotel was great

Went to this hotel in October 2013. the location was in a excellent location to the city Center. A short taxi drive. The reception staff were so helpful nothing was to much trouble.

As I am not a very big eater I did not try a full meal. I had a snack that was recommended to me bar the bar staff. I have to say it was supper.

Before I went to this hotel I was informed to try a wine from the extensive wine list. I the particular night I was going to enjoy a wine with the friend I was with, we was introduced to the hotel Director Ivana and her sales manager Peter. I mentioned we was just about to order some wine. Ivana asked if we mind if she ordered us a bottle. I had no hesitation in letting her. I do not remember what wine was ordered but it was top class. Ivana also ordered some cheeses on the hotel for us which was a very nice gesture.

I would recommend the hotel to any one that was visiting Prague for a business tip or a long weekend sightseeing.

Kevin

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Excellent location, service and rooms. Walking distance from the castle and Charles Bridge. Great value. Staff was very friendly. The rooms were much larger than most european hotels. The hotel was very quaint and felt like a home away from home.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I very much enjoyed my stay at Hotel Hoffmeister, I found the rooms very clean and tidy and the staff very pleasant. I would have rated the hotel 5 but I was was slightly disappointed by the attitude when I asked for further teabags for my room for the tea and coffee facilities. I was told that they were only replenished once a day and I had had my allowance of 2 tea bags. There were two of us staying in the room so that meant 1 cup of tea each a day. Also I had booked some Spa treatments 48 hours in advance and they were cancelled 30 minutes before my appointment as the Therapist was 'ill'. It felt more like the appointments had forgotten to be made when we requested them. I would say the Hotel is not 5 star but more 4 star and just feel some staff can brush up on their customer service a little to be more accommodating with requests. Does it really matter that I want more than one English breakfast tea in my room! I run 3 hotels in France of a similar standard and I would have been disappointed in my staff had they refused a request for further tea bags to a customer. Overall though the stay was ok but you could do slightly better.

Room Tip: The Spa is definitely a little dated and could be modernized.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa D
HoffmeisterPrague, Manager at Hoffmeister & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Lisa D,

thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased that you overall enjoyed your stay and that you found our rooms very clean and tidy. I hope that we shall be able to earn 5 stars after your next visit.

I am sorry about the tea bags issue. Indeed there is some allowance per day. More cups of tea can be enjoyed in our beautiful restaurant ADA by fireplace or in our cafeteria either on the winter terrace or on the summer terrace. The oportunity to enjoy tea or coffee in our hotel is plentiful. Unlike some other hotels in Prague we provide tea and coffee facilities in the for free. There are hotels that charge for it 15 EUR per day and these are 5star hotels. Nonetheless I have spoken to my colleagues to compromise on this topic.

As regards the spa treatments I understand that you booked them on spot in the hotel during your 3 night stay when Prague hotels were completely full. I could not find any email order for spa services prior to your arrival. It is true that our masseur called us that she was ill. I was told that we have rather decided to cancel the session than inviting some masseur whom we do not know and can not guarantee his professionality. Our masseurs are highly skilled professionals that have all neccessary education for their profession and we are not willing to compromise on their quality even though it might mean that a session shall be cancelled.
Yet I believe that the spa may also be enjoyed either in our sauna - steam bath - or in the jacuzzi.
Of course that we have more masseurs but the other masseurs that we invite to take care of our guests were busy at the time because as mentioned earlier - Prague hotels were full. I believe that a timely reservation might have helped to secure the service.

And indeed our spa is dated. I absolutely confrim that information and am more than happy that I am the only one in Prague who can say that he has a special product - a sauna - steam bath - in a cave that was carved in approx 13th - 15th century and provides absolutely unique athmosphere. If the cave felt dated it indeed is. All the other equipment is not dated and everyone may evaluate the condition and age on the pictures on our offical hotel website.

If you return to Prague check official websiter of hotel Hoffmeister&Spa where you may find the best offers.

Best regards,