Royal Residence Ungelt
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Metamorphis(Prague)
Cerny Slon(Prague)
  • Restaurant
All reviewstwo room suitehuge apartmentthe main squarenoisy at nightchurchsinkkitchenette
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 February 2013

When I visit a beautiful old city such as Prague, I like to stay right in the heart of the city - usually as close as possible to the town square or central marketplace. For me, the Ungelt was the perfect place - one block away from the Old Town Square, just behind the Tyn Church.

The room:
Though it was just my wife on our youngest daughter traveling, we decided to splurge and rent a two bedroom suite called the "Superior Suite For 5 People" on Expedia.com. After all, it was only 134 Euros/night - why not? The suite was amazing - two huge bedrooms, a kitchen/dining area, full bathroom with big tub and shower, and a separate bathroom in the entrance way. According to Rick Steves' Prague guide book, the Tyn courtyard was a fortified courtyard serving as "the commercial nucleus of medieval Prague." (See my picture of the inner courtyard.) While it had fallen into disrepair, it was restored in the 1980's. That said, it is not a 4 star hotel. The carpet, furnishings and fixtures are all older. However, the room was very clean and everything was in working order. For me, it had the absolutely perfect feel. It was not removed from, but completely immersed in in the feeling of being in a beautiful old city.

The location:
The location couldn't have been better. Once we arrived, I paid a bit more to park my car in a locked inner courtyard. (I recommend this.) Once we parked it, we did not need the car again during our stay. Everything is in walking distance, and if you're not up for a longer distance walk over to the Castle Quarter, you can jump on the tram or the metro. If you are driving into Prague, you may have the same trouble finding the hotel as we did. Even though I had a GPS, I ended up circling the Tyn courtyard about three times trying to find the hotel address - 10 Tyn. We finally parked the car and eventually realized the hotel office is actually inside the courtyard that we kept driving around. No worries, it was all part of the experience.

The staff:
I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. They let me keep my car parked in the courtyard for a few hours after checkout as we still had a few things to see before we left Prague that afternoon.

If you want the feel of the city you are visiting and want to be a full part of the experience, I cannot recommend the Ungelt more highly. It is one of my favorite travel experiences. A great value also!

Enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve7277
David P, Manager at Royal Residence Ungelt, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Hello,
thank you for your kind review. We have already took few steps to improve our equipment. Therefore we have changed all curtains, sofas, chairs, all carpets on the corridors and next items will follow in March.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

We stayed at the apartments attached to this hotel. It was huge, having 1 large queen room and our 2 teenage daughters had a room next door with 4 single beds in it. The lounge room was on the corner of the building so we could see the streets below and from our kitchen we had a view of the historical Tyn Church. The location could not have been better, around the corner from the old town square and the bridge. The local restaurants had great food and the xmas markets were fantastic. The only criticism I would have is that it was supposed to have a full kitchen. It did not have a stove or oven which I think should be in a kitchen. Also the staff were ok, when we first arrived we were told we did not have breakfast included and it took about 30mins, 1 letter and a phone call to prove otherwise. Also our transfer to the train station was not organised which it should have been.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Morrys
Reviewed 15 December 2012

We have spent a weekend in this residence. Everything was in walking distance. Breakfast was excellent but we had to go to next building. Room was pretty nice, old fashioned with character and atmosphere. We were in second floor where you can get by lift or stairs. Prague is nice and different. You can feel history from all places. Staff was friendly. Porter parked our car and helped us with luggages. We were 4 people together. We have chosen superior suite with kitchen and 2 bedrooms. Great value comparing the location, services and apartment standard. We were afraid from the noise from the bars but it was not so bad. As we were directly in the city centre, of course there are restaurants and bars with people passing by but it did not disturbed us. We have visitied Christmas markets on the Old town and Wenceslas square. Just a new minutes by walk from our residence. We will definately come again to Ungelt next year to see Prague in snow again.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Our experience was dreadful. We relied on the pictures this residence had on its website. The apartment we got just looked very bad. It was clean, but the furniture was old, not well kept and had a very strong, stale odor. We wanted to switch hotels right away, but we couldn't because we had already paid for our 3 day stay.
Breakfast next day was bad. I had a cold egg, (their microwave was broken) with milk that tasted sour. Before we left I asked the girl in the lobby if they could take care of our laundry and she said they could for 10€.
We stayed out almost the entire day because we really didn't want to go back to our depressing room.
The next day after the bad breakfast, I gave our laundry to the staff. It was 9:30 am. We returned at 5:00 pm to find out our laundry will be returned the next day. That didnt work because we were leaving at 10:00 am, so they said we will get it at 10:00 pm that night. They didn't keep their word. We finally got our laundry back on the day we were to leave at 9:30, which would have been OK if it was dry. Our clothes were damp! And not all of our clothes were washed! There was a letter in the bag saying they didn't have enough time to wash more than half of the load! When checking out, they tried to charge us for TWO loads of laundry but I refused to pay. The girl at the lobby (one with red hair) was very rude, unwilling to help and overall not nice. A second girl came along, and after telling her the story waived the two unfair charges.

Room Tip: please do not stay here, save yourself the trouble! there are nicer places in Prague
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DianaBGuer
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Pros:
We got the apartment, which faces a quiet courtyard. The apartment was very spacious and had all the required necessities for a comfortable stay. Location was perfect, just a few mins walk to the Old Square (Astronomical Clock). The free Wifi (speed) was fantastic. The apartment was good value for us as we booked way in advance- think it was almost 50% off the actual price of the apartment rates.

Cons:
There were no lift to our apartment floor- quite a climb with heavy bags (for the bell boy- poor dude).
There was only 1 fan for our 2-room apartment, which was insufficient on a hot day (I had a couple of sleepness nights because of that. my friends were fine though, with the stiff air and heat).
Similarly, only 1 bathroom and tv, both located in the master bedroom. I'm not sure about the cable tv channels- there were limited english channel, I could only find CNN.

Overall, all my friends had a good time here- so it's still a good overall rating from us.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Susan L