“Huge flat located right in the centre of Prague”

Royal Residence Ungelt
Ranked #70 of 370 Prague B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We hired a three bedroom flat for my wife and I and my mother for a long weekend's culture in Prague.

The space and height of the rooms were first class and the feel of the apartment was excellent, really well laid out, well decorated and clean. It felt like a Parisian flat and one could happily live here all the year round.

Bedrooms were comfortable and beds hard enough for a good night's sleep, there were separate bathrooms and lavatories and a huge parquet-floored hallway. It was September when we went so neither the aircon nor the heating were needed but both are available for hot or cold weather. Lovely views of the Tyn church, but none the less surprisingly quiet given how close the hotel is to the centre of the city.

There was a well-equipped kitchen with breakfast facilities and all one needed for self catering, although there are literally hundreds of nearby cafes and restaurants in Wenceslas Square et environs that's two minutes walk away.

A rather small and unpromising entrance off the street leads to a foyer with lift and stairs to the upper floors where the rooms are.

In this city of music and culture the hotel could not have been more helpful in providing a wheelchair for my mother who was about to have a hip replacement - beware, the cobbles make pushing a wheelchair hard work of the pusher and uncomfortable for the passenger!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

We were really impressed with our stay at Royal Residence Ungelt. Firstly, the location is second to none-so central! The rooms are huge with a massive bed too! I would have liked air con as it was very warm weather in Prague when we stayed, but they provided us with a fan which was helpful. All in all, a wonderful stay!
Oh, just remembered-the reception was very hard to find. 3 hotels share the same reception, so use the one marked Hotel Metamorphosis! :D

1  Thank Juanita_Adam
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I stayed just one night at the Ungelt, as I had another long-term residence arranged through my work for the following day. I opted for the hotel-arranged taxi pickup, which may seem pricey compared to other taxi prices (750 CZK for the Ungelt; I had heard prices ranging from 300-700 CZK), but I felt more comfortable going through the hotel, as taxi fraud is rampant in Prague and this seemed the safest bet. I'm glad I did, as the pick-up was immediate, the driver and his Audi were excellent, and the ride felt safe. He dropped me off right at the front door and escorted me inside.

Check-in was painless, and all employees I encountered spoke flawless English. I was offered a number of restaurant options nearby, and they supplied maps with personalized directions. However, after a long trip the only thing I wanted to see was the room. The reception area is actually inside the Hotel Metamorphosis, and the Ungelt is next door, connected by an alley. I was again personally escorted to this area, and I declined assistance offered for my luggage.

I entered the apartment, which for one person is huge! The toilet has its own separate room from the shower, which is a nice touch for those traveling with others. The shower stall is generous (no bathtub, which is not an issue for me), and there is a radiator to dry out the room afterwards. Towels come in a variety of sizes and are plentiful. Soap in dispensers is supplied.

The bedroom itself had yellow and white tones, with enormous windows looking out onto the street below. The bed is standard Euro-fare-- the king bed has two separate mattresses pushed together, but are soft enough in the center for the single traveler to be lazy and spread out without feeling an uncomfortable seam going up the back. The sheets and blanket are white, soft, and appeared clean. A huge chandelier hangs from the bedroom ceiling, and there is a grate surrounding an old (and currently bricked-up) fireplace.

There is also a minibar (at cost-- when you check out you are asked if you used anything in it) and espresso machine, which I did not use as closer inspection revealed that the espresso cups (similar to K-cups, not sure what it is actually called) had a price marked about 20 CZK each. I wasn't asked if I used this machine at check-out, but didn't want to risk a cost added on after I left. There is also a television with numerous Czech, French, and German programming. There is one English-speaking channel (Sky TV). Wifi is free, and the signal is strong enough to make clear and uninterrupted VOIP calls.

The only issue I could see someone having with the Ungelt is noise. The Ungelt is in Central Prague, which is always busy. There is a price to pay for such a great, central location. My room faced a street partially blocked off due to construction. However, there is an alleyway nearby by that Saturday-night revelers used to cut through the streets, and there would be occasional groups of loud drunks going by. While I was 3 floors up and the windows were double-paned, I could still hear them maybe once an hour. Also, your neighbors in the other apartments may be noisy in the hallways, and as this is an old building with tile and wooden floors, sounds are amplified. This was not a major issue for me, as I once lived next to an active railway track and learned to sleep through train whistles in the dead of night! I can see other travelers being perturbed by the noise, but I fell into an undisturbed sleep by 11PM.

I did awake early, and at 8AM (on a Sunday!) construction workers started demolition on the building across the way. If you're a light sleeper, you may want to ask about quieter apartment locations or see if any construction is being done near your bedroom. Otherwise, I had an excellent stay at the Ungelt, and would have no problem staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask about room location if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank thelionforreal
Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

Wow! We were so surprised!!! Our apartment included 2 huge, huge, huge rooms! I never stayed before in such a comfort hotel. I am sure next time i ll visit Prague I ll stay here again. The mist central place in the old city. Love it! Full value for the money I've payed

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank EstherTLV
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I stayed at Ungelt for 6 nights, one of which was free due to the length of our stay. We also received a free ride from the airport as a perk for booking a long stay. The hotel itself is in a prime location close to old town square. The concierge was very helpful and willing to take time to explain how to get to certain restaurants or anywhere else you needed to go. The room was much bigger than your average European hotel with copious amounts of space and everything you'd expect from a hotel. The price was very reasonable for its location and quality and I would 100% stay there again if I were to go back to Prague.

The only issue we had was that there is a club right across the street which can cause some rowdiness in the early hours of the night. However when our windows were closed, this was hardly a problem.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James A
Reviewed 24 February 2013

When I visit a beautiful old city such as Prague, I like to stay right in the heart of the city - usually as close as possible to the town square or central marketplace. For me, the Ungelt was the perfect place - one block away from the Old Town Square, just behind the Tyn Church.

The room:
Though it was just my wife on our youngest daughter traveling, we decided to splurge and rent a two bedroom suite called the "Superior Suite For 5 People" on Expedia.com. After all, it was only 134 Euros/night - why not? The suite was amazing - two huge bedrooms, a kitchen/dining area, full bathroom with big tub and shower, and a separate bathroom in the entrance way. According to Rick Steves' Prague guide book, the Tyn courtyard was a fortified courtyard serving as "the commercial nucleus of medieval Prague." (See my picture of the inner courtyard.) While it had fallen into disrepair, it was restored in the 1980's. That said, it is not a 4 star hotel. The carpet, furnishings and fixtures are all older. However, the room was very clean and everything was in working order. For me, it had the absolutely perfect feel. It was not removed from, but completely immersed in in the feeling of being in a beautiful old city.

The location:
The location couldn't have been better. Once we arrived, I paid a bit more to park my car in a locked inner courtyard. (I recommend this.) Once we parked it, we did not need the car again during our stay. Everything is in walking distance, and if you're not up for a longer distance walk over to the Castle Quarter, you can jump on the tram or the metro. If you are driving into Prague, you may have the same trouble finding the hotel as we did. Even though I had a GPS, I ended up circling the Tyn courtyard about three times trying to find the hotel address - 10 Tyn. We finally parked the car and eventually realized the hotel office is actually inside the courtyard that we kept driving around. No worries, it was all part of the experience.

The staff:
I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. They let me keep my car parked in the courtyard for a few hours after checkout as we still had a few things to see before we left Prague that afternoon.

If you want the feel of the city you are visiting and want to be a full part of the experience, I cannot recommend the Ungelt more highly. It is one of my favorite travel experiences. A great value also!

Enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve7277
David P, Manager at Royal Residence Ungelt, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Hello,
thank you for your kind review. We have already took few steps to improve our equipment. Therefore we have changed all curtains, sofas, chairs, all carpets on the corridors and next items will follow in March.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

We stayed at the apartments attached to this hotel. It was huge, having 1 large queen room and our 2 teenage daughters had a room next door with 4 single beds in it. The lounge room was on the corner of the building so we could see the streets below and from our kitchen we had a view of the historical Tyn Church. The location could not have been better, around the corner from the old town square and the bridge. The local restaurants had great food and the xmas markets were fantastic. The only criticism I would have is that it was supposed to have a full kitchen. It did not have a stove or oven which I think should be in a kitchen. Also the staff were ok, when we first arrived we were told we did not have breakfast included and it took about 30mins, 1 letter and a phone call to prove otherwise. Also our transfer to the train station was not organised which it should have been.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family