“Nice Apartment Hotel BUT”

Royal Residence Ungelt
Ranked #53 of 359 Prague B&B and Inns
Grimsby, Canada
“Nice Apartment Hotel BUT”
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel on a hot August 8 & 9 2013. The apartment was great for a family of four with two bedrooms and fridge. The problem was no air conditioning compounded with the construction across the street during the day and the noise from the bars till 4 am. The garbage truck was on the street at 11 pm and again at 6:30am. If you go here in the colder months and the construction is finished...the hotel would be great. In summertime guarantee to get a courtyard room before you book.

The shower does not have an anti scalding system so if someone runs the hot or cold be prepared to jump out of the way. I did asked at the desk to to be moved to a courtyard location off the street but no rooms were available in the hotel.

A beautiful room, but beware of being downtown Prague if you don't do the bar scene.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank dla1041

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here with my husband and 16 year old son for two nights in July and had a fantastic time. The rooms are HUGE, complete with chandeliers, very clean and with a lovely modern shower room. No aircon, but a fan is provided which was more than ample - and the weather was HOT while we were there. Had fun finding it as we were driving and our satnav didn't cover Prague... would recommend 'walking' around the area on Google streetview! The staff gave us a friendly welcome and parked our car in the small courtyard (we booked and paid extra for this, but so glad we did having seen how crowded and narrow the streets are!), then just time to settle in before stepping straight out into the fun & life of Prague. What the room lacked in views (we were overlooking building works) was more than compensated for by the location and comfort.

Room Tip: Only saw the rooms we were in - deluxe apartment - which were really good for us. If you're loo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Debbie J
Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We hired a three bedroom flat for my wife and I and my mother for a long weekend's culture in Prague.

The space and height of the rooms were first class and the feel of the apartment was excellent, really well laid out, well decorated and clean. It felt like a Parisian flat and one could happily live here all the year round.

Bedrooms were comfortable and beds hard enough for a good night's sleep, there were separate bathrooms and lavatories and a huge parquet-floored hallway. It was September when we went so neither the aircon nor the heating were needed but both are available for hot or cold weather. Lovely views of the Tyn church, but none the less surprisingly quiet given how close the hotel is to the centre of the city.

There was a well-equipped kitchen with breakfast facilities and all one needed for self catering, although there are literally hundreds of nearby cafes and restaurants in Wenceslas Square et environs that's two minutes walk away.

A rather small and unpromising entrance off the street leads to a foyer with lift and stairs to the upper floors where the rooms are.

In this city of music and culture the hotel could not have been more helpful in providing a wheelchair for my mother who was about to have a hip replacement - beware, the cobbles make pushing a wheelchair hard work of the pusher and uncomfortable for the passenger!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

We were really impressed with our stay at Royal Residence Ungelt. Firstly, the location is second to none-so central! The rooms are huge with a massive bed too! I would have liked air con as it was very warm weather in Prague when we stayed, but they provided us with a fan which was helpful. All in all, a wonderful stay!
Oh, just remembered-the reception was very hard to find. 3 hotels share the same reception, so use the one marked Hotel Metamorphosis! :D

1 Thank Juanita_Adam
South Carolina
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I stayed just one night at the Ungelt, as I had another long-term residence arranged through my work for the following day. I opted for the hotel-arranged taxi pickup, which may seem pricey compared to other taxi prices (750 CZK for the Ungelt; I had heard prices ranging from 300-700 CZK), but I felt more comfortable going through the hotel, as taxi fraud is rampant in Prague and this seemed the safest bet. I'm glad I did, as the pick-up was immediate, the driver and his Audi were excellent, and the ride felt safe. He dropped me off right at the front door and escorted me inside.

Check-in was painless, and all employees I encountered spoke flawless English. I was offered a number of restaurant options nearby, and they supplied maps with personalized directions. However, after a long trip the only thing I wanted to see was the room. The reception area is actually inside the Hotel Metamorphosis, and the Ungelt is next door, connected by an alley. I was again personally escorted to this area, and I declined assistance offered for my luggage.

I entered the apartment, which for one person is huge! The toilet has its own separate room from the shower, which is a nice touch for those traveling with others. The shower stall is generous (no bathtub, which is not an issue for me), and there is a radiator to dry out the room afterwards. Towels come in a variety of sizes and are plentiful. Soap in dispensers is supplied.

The bedroom itself had yellow and white tones, with enormous windows looking out onto the street below. The bed is standard Euro-fare-- the king bed has two separate mattresses pushed together, but are soft enough in the center for the single traveler to be lazy and spread out without feeling an uncomfortable seam going up the back. The sheets and blanket are white, soft, and appeared clean. A huge chandelier hangs from the bedroom ceiling, and there is a grate surrounding an old (and currently bricked-up) fireplace.

There is also a minibar (at cost-- when you check out you are asked if you used anything in it) and espresso machine, which I did not use as closer inspection revealed that the espresso cups (similar to K-cups, not sure what it is actually called) had a price marked about 20 CZK each. I wasn't asked if I used this machine at check-out, but didn't want to risk a cost added on after I left. There is also a television with numerous Czech, French, and German programming. There is one English-speaking channel (Sky TV). Wifi is free, and the signal is strong enough to make clear and uninterrupted VOIP calls.

The only issue I could see someone having with the Ungelt is noise. The Ungelt is in Central Prague, which is always busy. There is a price to pay for such a great, central location. My room faced a street partially blocked off due to construction. However, there is an alleyway nearby by that Saturday-night revelers used to cut through the streets, and there would be occasional groups of loud drunks going by. While I was 3 floors up and the windows were double-paned, I could still hear them maybe once an hour. Also, your neighbors in the other apartments may be noisy in the hallways, and as this is an old building with tile and wooden floors, sounds are amplified. This was not a major issue for me, as I once lived next to an active railway track and learned to sleep through train whistles in the dead of night! I can see other travelers being perturbed by the noise, but I fell into an undisturbed sleep by 11PM.

I did awake early, and at 8AM (on a Sunday!) construction workers started demolition on the building across the way. If you're a light sleeper, you may want to ask about quieter apartment locations or see if any construction is being done near your bedroom. Otherwise, I had an excellent stay at the Ungelt, and would have no problem staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask about room location if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank thelionforreal
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

Wow! We were so surprised!!! Our apartment included 2 huge, huge, huge rooms! I never stayed before in such a comfort hotel. I am sure next time i ll visit Prague I ll stay here again. The mist central place in the old city. Love it! Full value for the money I've payed

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank EstherTLV
Needham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I stayed at Ungelt for 6 nights, one of which was free due to the length of our stay. We also received a free ride from the airport as a perk for booking a long stay. The hotel itself is in a prime location close to old town square. The concierge was very helpful and willing to take time to explain how to get to certain restaurants or anywhere else you needed to go. The room was much bigger than your average European hotel with copious amounts of space and everything you'd expect from a hotel. The price was very reasonable for its location and quality and I would 100% stay there again if I were to go back to Prague.

The only issue we had was that there is a club right across the street which can cause some rowdiness in the early hours of the night. However when our windows were closed, this was hardly a problem.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple