“Amazing history well preserved and documented”

Jewish Museum in Prague
Book In Advance
US$43.29*
Jewish Prague Walking Tour
US$42.68*
and up
Walking Tour of Prague's Jewish Quarter Including Admission to the Jewish...
US$45.12*
Private Tour: Prague Jewish Museum and Old-New Synagogue Walking Tour
Ranked #41 of 963 things to do in Prague
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This historic pre-war Jewish neighborhood now stands as a silent memorial to its people.
Reviewed 18 May 2010

The 6 sites in the Jewish quarter are accessible, well explained and reveal a long histroy of the Jews in central Europe. Audio guides are available as well as guided tours, though you can do it on your own with a good guide book and the many panmphlets that are provided. So worth it.

jewishmuseminprague, Manažer komunikace at Jewish Museum in Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2015

Thank you very much and we´ll be pleased to see you again in the museum.

There are newer reviews for Jewish Museum in Prague

Reviewed 25 January 2010

I truly enjoyed my visit to the Jewish Museum in Prague. It is actually composed of seven different buildings, each with a unique exhibit or piece of history. Together they make for a moving experience as a substantial portion is devoted to Jewish deaths under the Nazi occupation.

When you buy your admission ticket you are given a map that clearly displays the different buildings and a route to move between them in the most efficient manner. I found that all the buildings and exhibits were explained well in English, and the audioguide I rented was not that informative so in hindsight I would've saved the 200kc.

The Pinkas Synagogue lists all the names of the 170,000 plus Jews who were killed by the Nazis on the walls, which is a particularly sobering sight. Upstairs there is an exhibit with artwork made by the children of the Terezin concentration camp, which also brought tears to my eyes.

The Maisal Synagogue and Old Ceremonial Hall as well as the Spanish Synagogue have exhibits about Jewish culture, rituals, religion, and ways of life that were interesting, especially because they contained many objects that were well described. The inside of the Spanish Synagogue was breathtaking. I've honestly never seen anything like it in all my travels, especially when compared to its relatively plain exterior.

The Jewish Cemetary is the only place where you can take pictures, and it is worth visiting as it is fascinating to view in person and beautiful year round.

In short, you can easily spend a whole morning here if you are interested in reading about each object on display. I considered it well worth the admission fee and full of information as well as being a poignant tribute to those who lost their lives. If you plan on visiting Terezin, visit the Jewish Museum first to get the full effect.

Also, remember that the Jewish Museum is closed on Saturdays but opens earlier than other attractions (9am while I was in Prague) for an earlier start in your day if you have limited time in Prague.

5  Thank annikalibby
jewishmuseminprague, Manažer at Jewish Museum in Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2015

Thank you very much, we are glad you enjoyed your visit and we´ll be pleased to welcome you again in the Jewish Museum in Prague!

Reviewed 13 January 2010

We took the guided tour which made for a more worthwhile experience because we got to learn much more than we would have just by walking around. Seeing the 6 included sites and hearing the sad history is very worthwhile.
I'm not sure what the deal with the photo permit is. There were plenty of people taking photos with no one checking the permit, while our guide said it is disrespectful to the dead to take pictures of the cemetery. I felt like it was a bit of a scam.

1  Thank Dand978

Thank you very much, we are very happy the Jewish Museum in Prague had such an impact on you and we will look forward your next visit!

Reviewed 28 August 2009

Donna wanted to see it, and in the memorial room, the first name we saw was the same as my grandfather with the same birthdate, but not him. We found surnames of most of our friends. They say" no pictures", but if you find a name you know, they look the other way. They just don't want the flippant souvenir pics. It was a sobering experience in an otherwise happy trip, but well worth it.

2  Thank URHeep

Reviewed 28 August 2009

Seriously overpriced for what you receive. I was really only interested in the cemetery, which I recalled fondly from a visit about 20 years ago. But, I had to buy an overpriced ticket that included a few synagogues, none of which was of much interest to me. The cemetery was great, but it was annoying that I had to spend so much to see it. In addition, they had the nerve to make me pay an additional fee to take pictures. Disappointing.

5  Thank countmc
jewishmuseminprague, Guest Relations Manager at Jewish Museum in Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2015

Thank you fro your review. The price, from our point of view, corresponds with the uniqueness of the visited sites and it is on par with the admission to other major European cultural heritage. The ticket includes several buildings including the unique exposures in most of them, you can use it for 7 days.
The Jewish Museum in Prague is a private institution that fully funds its operations - not only the exhibition, but also its educational, publishing, scientific and archival work. A large part of the revenue is used for the care of the world's unique museum collection, and it is spent on the repairing and reconstruction of historic buildings in the area of Prague's former Jewish Town.
Thank you for your understanding, we will be happy to welcome you again.

Been to Jewish Museum in Prague? Share your experiences!