“If you need sleep, don't stay here” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Abri
Ranked #455 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Ireland
“If you need sleep, don't stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2009

Booked into the Abri from Sunday for five nights in March. The hotel itself is in a great location, close to tram stops and a 10 minute walk away from Metro Namesti Miru. Plenty of nice pubs & restaurants nearby.
Would consider the hotel to be an average two star, the rooms are basic but comfortable, however the breakfast is just an excuse, the worst I have experienced in my travels. Ended up just taking the coffee and toast as there was little or no selection of meats, cheese, bread rolls etc, plus no fruit or yogurt on offer.
My first night on Sunday was okay and I slept soundly, however the next two nights, Monday & Tuesday were a nightmare. A school tour with twenty loud teenagers booked in on Monday, and were making a little noise throughout the hotel when I went to bed at 12:30am, however I managed to get off to sleep. But at 03:50am to 05:30am I was awoken by the noise coming from the room next door. Just kids making noise all night, may have been drunk.
When I complained the next morning at the desk to the woman on duty and requested a room change, she replied that there was no point in changing a room as they had a Portuguese school tour in rooms all over the hotel and an Italian one booking in later that day. In fact I was told that I was the only guest staying that was not part of a School tour. When I asked to speak to the manager, I was told that he was not available. She said she would talk to the School organisers and to give it another night.
The Tuesday night was a nightmare, constant noise, doors banging, shouting, singing the whole night through. When I went down to the front desk to complain, the hotel person on duty was drinking wine with the underage kids and replied what do you expect when there is school tour in the hotel. I just had to go back to my room and suffer it.
Next morning, I phoned up yeego.com and left a message about the situation, then rang up a few hotels until finally I got in for two nights in the Hotel Tyl. Packed up, handed in the key to the front desk and headed for the other hotel for some sleep. Yeego have said that they will try and get me a refund for the two nights I did not stay at the Abri.
My recommendation to anybody who reads this is to avoid this place, unless you don’t need any sleep during the night.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank pdhx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2009

A group of 10 of us stayed here for my stag weekend, having previously booked into the San Marco Palace we had to be transferred here as apparently (and I quote) 'a group of Italians has broken the beds'. Likely story.

Anyway, the hotel was clean and very very spacious, the shower was great ( I think we were in room 402) which had a nice sunny window which opened up for a nice breeze which was much needed with a hang over.

We never made it to breakfast, but we did drink in the bar before we went out and this was very cheap (around 80p for a pint of Czech beer).

There is a computer in reception with free internet which was quite fast and was always free when we passed by.

The girl on reception was charmless and didn't really seem like she wanted to help but she did point out a good restaurant to go to.

All in all a good stay, which is close enough to all the attractions of Prague (about 10-15mins to the Wensceslas Square) and the tram stop is a short walk away.

Just one tip - try to find drinking places around the back streets and your hotel as the drinks are 2-3 times more expensive once you get to Wensceslas Square.

• Stayed March 2009
2 Thank kevkan82
southampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a weekend break to Prague.  The hotel was clean but basic. The room was quite large for a 3 star hotel and was comfortable but it had no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. The staff were efficient but not overly friendly. The only real poor aspect to it was the breakfast. They offered no recognisable cereal or fruit juice, the only choice was the usual european ham and cheese, plates of cucumber and tomatoes, cake and sliced bread for toast. It is in a quiet side street only 3 minutes walk to the tram and just under 10 minutes to the metro. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good mid-range hotel at a reasonable cost, apart from the breakfast.

• Liked — Room was a good size
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rhisnan
boston, ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2008

Hotel abri is much better than described. It is in a great area of town, with many local pubs and restaurants with much better prices and more authentic than in Old Town Square, and it is very close to the A line which takes you to all tourist areas (even though you can also walk there-Prague is small).
The hotel itself is great, good size room and bathroom, good hair dryer, comfortable beds. The bed was two twin beds put t ogether and you have individual comforters. The only thing I did not like is the carpet is very old and seems dirty. They are very helpful in the reception area, can buy water, beer, chips, etc, even stamps to send postacards, there is a working computer for free internet use and the breakfast is ok too, includes coffee, tea, tang orange juice, variety of breads, yogurt, granola, cereal, ham and cheese, cake and some fruit.
Very good experience, especially liked the excellent location; if you go, go to U Draka for potato pancakes with meat and to hlucna samota for beer and dinner (here they serve food until 11pm)

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness of carpet
1 Thank mcas08
Tyne & Wear
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

Before you read this revue my wife and I stayed at this hotel in November 2007 that is why we went back this year, to our regret.
On arriving at the Hotel the receptionist was very offhand.On being allocated the room I found the carpet had numerous very black stains and also marks where it appeared that drinks had been spilt.I asked the receptionist if she could arrange to have the carpet cleaned,she shrugged her shoulders and said the manager knows about it. My wife not wishing me to cause a scene said just leave it. During our 5 day stay the room was never hoovered the washbasin and shower were never cleaned and when I wanted to charge my mobile phone the socket was thick with dust and I mean thick.The hotel claims to have a restaurant,however I was taken ill on the wednesday and stayed in bed all day on the evening my wife asked the same receptionist who unfortunately was on duty if she could take some food to our room,she was no help just told her to ask the waitress in the restaurant. Going into the restaurant my wife asked if she could buy some food to take up to our room as I was too ill to come down.The response was a curt No he must come down. Breakfasts were not as good as last year but were edible. Also there was no information regarding the fire regulations in the room. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and we will be going to Prague again next year but certainly not to this hotel.

• Liked — The towels were changed every day
  • Disliked — Very dirty carpet, Bedding was never changed.
      Cleanliness

Travellers are raving about these Prague hotels

Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2008

Small hotel in Prague 2 too far to walk to and from the main tourist area but there is a tram stop at the end of the road and a metro station about 400 yards away. The area is reasonable and safe at night and there is very little traffic or other noise to disturb you.
The rooms are a reasonable size and clean and reasonably well maintained and the bathrooms (shower no bath) are quite well appointed. Rooms have telephones and TV but no safe or tea/coffee making facilities.
The major disappointment was the breakfast; basically its tea, coffee, juice, bread with meat or cheese and cereal. If you go down towards the end of breakfast there won't be much left and they don't tend to re-stock.
Overall it is good value for what you pay though so if you're looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful to lay your head at night and don't plan to spend much time in the hotel I would recommend it.

• Liked — value for money
  • Disliked — breakfast
1 Thank Clemenceau
Coventry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2008

The Hotel Abri is in a quiet location (Vinohrady, Prague 2) which is approx 15mins walk to Wencesles Square or 7 mins walk to Namesti Miru underground station as well as close by to the Tram.

The accomodation was clean and the shower, hairdryer etc all worked fine! Beds were comfy. We stayed in Bedroom 102 on the 1st floor.

There wasn't a huge choice at breakfast, but what was available was very tasty (bread rolls, ham, cheese, cereal, cake, tea, coffee, juice, fresh fruit) perfect for filling up in prep for touring around Prague!

Check in and Check out was very efficient and we were able to leave our bags at the hotel as we had a late flight. We booked the hotel through www.hotelopia.com and it cost £30 per room per night including breakfast which was a fantastic deal!!

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for those who aren't after anything fancy, but are after a comfortable stay. I would definately return here!

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends