Cerny Slon
Trip.com
US$117
US$94
  • Restaurant
Green Garden Hotel(Prague)(Great Value!)
US$166
US$141
US$320
US$267
Preferred Hotels
US$73
US$71
  • Restaurant
All reviewsblack elephantold town squareperfect locationthe main squaretop floortyn cathedralfirst floorsmall hotelstreet noisetriple roomwooden beamsastronomical clocklight sleepernoisy at nightwalking distance to everythingbig bathroomshower head
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Super location, just off Old Town Square, helpful staff and friendly atmosphere. Lovely breakfast and free wi-fi connection in the hotel. The room was absolutely spotless and provided everything we needed including the most amazing ceiling!

Room Tip: Only downside is that our room was on the third floor of a building with very high ceilings and no lift so it is a climb. If this is going to be an issue let them know in advance so you can have a room on a lower floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Petr V, Owner at Cerny Slon, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you very much for your beautiful rewiew. Iam very happy that you enjoy your stay at the Hotel Černy slon that much. We try to do everything possible to make our guests feel at our best. Hope you will visit our hotel at your next trip to Prague again.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My partner and I stayed in this hotel on a 4 day city break to Prague. The hotel was pleasant and clean with very helpful staff. Room was a good size and also had a hairdryer, tv and mini bar. A continental breakfast was included in the price. There is also a lovely small bar and restaurant serving traditional czech food. However the best feature of this hotel was its location. Located just off the old town square this hotel was in a prime location for a very reasonable price. Walking distance from all the major tourist attraction as well as shopping area and metro stations. Will definitely be returning to this hotel next time we are in Prague.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Petr V, Owner at Cerny Slon, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you very much for your stay in our hotel. It is true that the hotel is in the center of Prague, and you can get into all the interesting and historical sight on foot. We are glad you enjoyed your visit here in our hotel and we will be looking forward your next stay with us.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I was on a long layover and needed to find a place to stay two nights in Prague. I was planning on getting around by foot, so I wanted to be sure I had a good "home base" to return to periodically throughout the day while I was touring around. I found Hotel Cerny Slon on TripAdvisor (as usual), and booked based on the user reviews. Once again, I was not at all disappointed! This was my first time to Prague, so I wasn't sure what to expect. When the cab driver brought me from the airport (the hotel arranged this for me, by the way... definitely recommend), he kept winding all around narrow streets and ultimately parked in front of this cute little spot nested in between several buildings and a church. I started to get pretty excited that this was my hotel. It was just so quaint! When I checked in, the woman at reception was incredibly friendly and helpful. I asked where a few things were and she was happy to provide information to help me out. I stayed in room 15, which was on the third floor (this is the top floor - I think there are 16 rooms). There was no lift, and that third flight of stairs became a bit of a challenge with sore legs and feet from hiking around all day! But, the third floor was SO charming, and the additional exercise was much needed after all the delicious cuisine I ate while there! :)

GENERAL: The room was very clean, and the bathroom was very neat and looked to be fairly recently remodeled (I would estimate within the past 3-5 years, if that?). There is a hairdryer in the room that is nice and powerful. The water pressure was GREAT, especially for European hotel standards. The heat / AC unit ran in high and low cycles. At first, I thought it would bother me, but it actually sounded like I had the window open on a breezy day the way it kicked on and off. It was almost like white noise while I slept, which was lovely. There is a small TV in the room, a minibar, and some toiletries. Everything you need for a comfortable stay!

LOCATION: For me, the location could not have been any more convenient. When I set out on the first day to "find" Old Town Square, I was shocked to walk about 50 yards out of the front door and be IN the square already. I selected the hotel partially based on location, but had no idea it would be that close. This was incredibly convenient, as there is a lot to do right in and around the square, and if you do any guided tours (which I didn't, but there are some that seem really great / comprehensive!), many of them leave from the square. It's also a great central location to get to just about anywhere. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to Charles Bridge, maybe 10 minutes to the Powder Tower, etc. A++++++ for location.

STREET NOISE: Some reviewers commented on the noise in the room. I didn't have a problem with that at all. I stayed Monday and Tuesday night, so perhaps there is a rowdier crowd on the weekend? I slept from 11:00 - 13:00 when I arrived on Monday and didn't notice a thing. In the late evening (maybe around 11:00) both nights, I heard one crowd of people walking through the little passage way behind the hotel, but it certainly wasn't anything that lingered. They were just passing through. I guess if you are a light sleeper, bring some earplugs with you... but that's just general travel advice. At the end of the day, you have to decide whether you want a great location or a better chance at a noise free street outside. No matter where you're at, it's almost impossible to tell whether or not there will be street noise... so I always go for the location and come prepared. :)

BATHROOM: These aren't "deal breakers" for me, but I should note a few things to note about the tub / shower that someone with any mobility issues should keep in mind. The tub sits up VERY high... I am 5'6" and the top of the tub came up to the middle of my thigh. There were some acrobatics that came into play when it was time to get in (and out of!) the shower. There is a grab bar on the wall, but I believe it's for people who want to take a bath, as you can't reach it to get in / out since it's blocked by the shower door. Also, the shower head is mounted pretty low, so I had to bend down a little bit to wash my hair. No big deal, just not something you want to do while you're still half sleeping so you don't lose balance. :) Finally, the shower head is mounted on the middle of the long side of the tub wall. The shower door is typical European style with a small fixed glass piece, and another "flap" that closes into place. This door covers only just over half of the long side of the shower. This combination means that if you are taking a shower, you end up with a huge mess of water all over the floor. Toss a towel on the floor before you get in, and you'll be good to go. Because this is a B&B setup and I'm sure each room is unique, perhaps these issues were isolated to the room I was in. I would definitely call or email and ask - the staff were very responsive through email before I arrived.

OTHER: Breakfast is included in the room rate, and they have a nice little continental breakfast spread with everything you need - eggs, bacon, sausage, cereals, yogurts, fruit, pastries, meat, cheeses, bread, coffee, tea, juice. Lovely. Also, at the same place where they serve breakfast, they have a restaurant that is open to the public for lunch and dinner. I had dinner there one night, and it was very nice. I will review the restaurant separately, but I'd definitely recommend if you want a nice meal with local flavor. The Indian Jewel restaurant is also a stone's throw away (opposite the way you walk to Old Town Square), and has amazing food if you fancy Indian cuisine. There is also a little pancake cart just outside the door, a pizza place, and of course all of the cafes and little stalls with beer, Old Prague Ham, sausages, etc. out in the square. No shortage of good food nearby!

I didn't mean for this to be so long... but I loved my stay at this place. I'd definitely stay there again if I return to Prague, and would recommend you consider it too!

Room Tip: No lift, so if climbing steps is an issue, ask for a low floor (3 floors total). If you don't mind steps and like an extra dose of charm, ask for a room on the 3rd floor!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank SharonK001
Petr V, Manager at Cerny Slon, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you very much for your beautiful rewiew. Iam very happy that you enjoy your stay at the Hotel Černy slon that much. We try to do everything possible to make our guests feel at our best. hope you will visit our hotel at your next trip to Prague again.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Great atmosphere, exceptionally tasty meals and friendly staff...what more could you ask? If in Prague, definitely have a meal at this restaurant. If we visit Prague again, we will make sure we stay at the hotel, too.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Vicky E
Petr V, Owner at Cerny Slon, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to post your amazing review!
So nice to read, that you enjoyed our service and your overall experience was memorable so much.

Best regars

Hotel Cerny slon
Petr V. - Owner

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Did not stay in the hotel but went into there restaurant on valentines night must say we had a exceptional good meal staff are very professional the was a older guy and a young guy on that night they was both very polite and courteous. I had the mixed grill which was perfect & my partner had the 1/2 turkey which was also perfect.
This place is just of the beaten track so I recommend try and find it you wont be disappointed .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Petr V, Owner at Cerny Slon, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you so much for your review here on TripAdvisor!
Thank you very much for your words of praise.
We are glad,that you felt so comfortable and satisfied with us.

Best regards