“Great Room and Location - if you don't want peace and quiet”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Charles Hotel

The Charles Hotel
Ranked #218 of 672 Hotels in Prague
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Great Room and Location - if you don't want peace and quiet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

Positives:
Beautiful, large Junior Suite - charming and different (especially ceilings).
Very friendly and helpful staff.
Great location - 2 mins from Charles Bridge and very close to Prague Castle.

Negatives:
On a busy street and no double glazing, so late night tourists can stop you sleeping.
Despite huge thick walls and wood floors, we could hear every word of a neighbours' (very loud) telephone conversation at 1am! As it was on speaker phone we could hear the other side too! Spanish couple - night of 12th June - you know who you are! They need better doors or sound insulation in this hotel.
Breakfast - very old/tacky breakfast room. Food was adequate, but no more.

Overall - 4 star for room and location, 2 star for noise and breakfast.

Room Tip: Room away from street.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sheerness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

Just returned from a weekend break, Hotel was excellent, staff very knowledgeable and friendly. Room very clean and big enough. Hotel very central - 2 mins from Charles Bridge and tram stop but surprisingly quiet. Breakfast sufficient in a rather quirky dining room.Nothing was too much trouble for them and we were more than happy with whole package.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

Great location between Charles Bridge and the Castle,in my opinion the best part of Prague. Fabulous room packed full of character with a modern spotlessly clean bathroom. The continental breakfast buffet was usual fair but well stocked by the attentive staff, although the basement location made it feel a little dingy, and the sounds of Barry White from the sound system every morning was a bit weird.
You expect some street noise from a city centre hotel with its old buildings and cobbled streets, but having a Jazz club under a hotel is never a good idea, so if your room overlooks the side street Josefska expect to hear some music and chatter till the early hours.
Dispite that I'd still recommend it as a place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

I booked 3 rooms at The Charles Hotel back in February for our stay in May purely down to the good reviews in Tripadvisor. As the time of our stay got nearer I checked Tripadvisor again and was horrified to see that the 3 most recent reviews were terrible, I was by now really concerned about what sort of hotel I was bringing my friends to.
I'd booked a taxi transfer through the hotel for the 6 of us to be picked up from the airport. The hotel gave me a price of 25euros to be paid directly to the taxi driver. Pick up went very smoothly but when we went to pay him the driver asked for a figure in local currency which equated to a lot more than 25 euros. As you can imagine after the recent terrible reviews alarm bells immediately started to ring. The driver and myself went to reception and I produced a copy of the email which clearly stated the agreed price of 25 euros. The receptionist said the price was per car for 4 people, I'd made it quite clear in my email that there were 6 of us, a car for 6 was sent and the price I'd been told to pay the driver was 25 euros. Whether something got lost in translation I'm not sure but because of the bad reviews I was on my guard and stood my ground. To be fair the receptionist, Samir, was very apologetic and agreed that the hotel would pay the shortfall. He was very professional and helpful throughout our stay, so much so that I did feel a bit guilty for sticking to my guns so rigidly!
Our room (305) was beautiful, it was large with the stunning painted ceiling that features on the hotels website. There were tea making facilites and a safe in the room, the bathroom was very modern in contrast to the room which was quite traditional. One for the ladies, I always take my own hair dryer on holiday but the one provided in the bathroom was every bit as good as the one I brought with me which is unusual for hotel hairdryers. The bed was a king size and strangely had two single duvets which was actually quite nice, a quilt all to yourself!
As mentioned in earlier reviews you do need to lock your door with the room key which is attached to the card which activates the electricity in the room for lighting. But they seem to have addressed the problem mentioned in an earlier Tripadvisor review as it's now easily detachable by a simple clip.
Breakfast was basic but there was enough of a selection to find something suitable to keep all of our party happy. The free tea and coffee making facilites in the reception area are a very good idea, supplies are kept well topped up throughout the day we also made good use of the free wifi connection available in the hotel.
Our room faced the main street which was a bit noisy after 11pm but as we'd read this is in an earlier review we were prepared with ear plugs which worked a treat.
Next door to the hotel was a cellar type bar which was friendly and reasonably priced, opposite the hotel was a very nice basic italian, good value for money food.
The hotel is perfectly situated, there are plenty of shops, bars and restaurants on the doorstep not to mention the proximity of Charles Bridge just a few minutes walk away.
We thoroughly enjoyed ur stay and wouldn't hesitate to recomment this hotel to fellow travellers.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank diytours
Bristol
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

“Worst hotel stay I've ever had.”

Booked this hotel because of the reviews, room pics and location.
Although travelling alone I had booked a double room because I like the extra space and a bath, not a shower. On arrival the hotel staff could not grasp the fact I was alone and not accompanied. Eventually I was allocated a room....... well having paid for a double for the extra space and basing this on the photos of the hotel, I was amazed when I entered the room.....it was tiny. I had less space than on my narrowboat! The bathroom was also tiny. It bore absolutely no resemblance to the hotels pics.

I raised the matter immediately with reception. They kept going on about how I was on my own and didn't need a large room only a small one!.
Eventually they begrudgingly gave me a different room. Although slightly larger it was nothing like the photos.
The room and bathroom were filled with the smell of meldew. I had to open the windows to air the room to some degree. It was getting late and friends I was meeting had arrived, so I had to leave the matter there and take the room.

The bed was a double but comprised 2 single quilts, the single quilts were tiny and didn't cover me during sleep. The bed cover did this and they removed this the second morning!
The shower was only luke warm! The hot water had all been used!
Electrical socket for the TV etc was hanging from the wall, a real danger for children.

Also you had to lock the door at night from the inside with the key (NOT a Yale type lock), in the pitch black, because the electrical card was attached to the key! This is a real fire hazard, imagine having to unlock a door, with a key in the dark, during a FIRE! Death trap!

Breakfast OK if you only want continental, 'hot' items were the same as the water - at best luke warm. Room never cleaned properly, glasses and cups went uncleaned, along with the bathroom.

Expedia say this is a 4* hotel............. that is the number of stars you can see at night from the hotel window (if it's been cleaned), and nothing more.
Not enough space to say how bad this hotel is.
Book somewhere else!

Room Tip: Friends stayed at the Hofmeister - was brilliant!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank neptuneuk
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

Hello,

After arriving at the Charles hotel Prague. on business I was told that they had a fire. I was sent to a much worse hotel owned by the same chain a few blocks away. Other people that were attempting to check in were told the same story and they told me this was a common tactic at this hotel and most likely there was no fire and the Hotel was overbooked.

At the new hotel I was told I could safely park my rental car in a particular spot even though there was a sign that said "No Parking." While there my car was ticketed and broken in to and my GPS was stolen.

The theif was caught but I had to spend hours at the police station making out a report. The manager apologized profusely and paid for a meal at a resturant and gave me a voucher for a 7 night stay at the Charles.

I booked my reservation over a year ago. I just called to confirm it and was told by the manager that he felt he had already done enough to make up for what happened during the first stay and would not be honoring the voucher, however he would honor the reservation and give me a free upgrade to a deluxe room.

After checking on expedia I was shocked to see the rate he quoted me was higher than the regular rate. We have already paid for plane tickets and have been planning this trip for months. This guy is a total crook and I will be taking this matter to the appropriate authorities. Do no stay here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank dbutch1976
Halmstad, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

In mid-November 2010, I made a reservation for two nights at The Charles in Prague in mid-March 2011 to among other things go to a concert. In early March, I received a message from The Charles that they moved me to another hotel due to a water leak at The Charles. I chose to accept it; stayed at the hotel I have been relocated to and had a wonderful stay in Prague. To my surprise, when I came home from Prague, I had received a message that I would be charged for one night by The Charles because I had not checked in, a “No Show” penalty fee. This charge also appeared on my bank statement. This was of course wrong and through booking.com, which I made the booking through, The Charles admitted that I should not have to pay this. The Charles also claims that they haven’t charged me at all. When my bank, in writing, proves that The Charles have charged my account with an amount equal to one night plus exchange fees, The Charles stops answering my messages and will probably not do anything about my claim. I thought that the former Eastern Bloc countries had gotten rid of cheap Soviet tricks to fool people for money but it now appears that there are thieves and swindlers left at The Charles in Prague.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE
Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank bluestripe69
TheCharlesHotel, Front Office Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2011
Dear sir/madam,
thank you very much for your review.
Please send us your bank statement to info@hotel-charles.eu where it shows how much The Charles Hotel charged.
Thank you again for your review.

Kind regards