“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #148 of 670 Hotels in Prague
UK
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2008

I stayed at the CT Hotel 11-16 June for both business and pleasure and I have mixed feelings about it. I was responsible for selecting hotels for myself and nine colleagues for a conference we were attending at the Prague Congress Centre. I chose Corinthia Towers because it was opposite the PCC. I booked the hotel rooms through the conference agent and paid for the rooms in advance. We all had rooms for single occupancy and I specified that I would be joined by my husband at the weekend and paid a supplement for a double room. However, upon check in I was told they only had single rooms (single beds) left and they would try to move me in time for the weekend. I was not overly concerned about this until I learnt later in the day that at least four of my (male) colleagues who checked in AFTER me were all given double rooms, and on the Executive floor! I was not worried about them being upgraded but I was not happy about being lied to. Out of my party of ten I was the only one allocated a room with single beds and the only one who needed a double. I don't put this down to bad luck because my requirements were specified, I put it down to bad check in management. I did manage to change rooms on the Friday (a hassle I could well have down without during a very busy conference) but there was no hint of an apology and the air conditioning in the new room was inefficient.
On the plus side, the rooms are clean and the concierge is excellent. The pool is very nice and the gym is very well equipped.
The food at the hotel was of good standard but quite expensive. A word of warning regarding the Rickshaw restaurant, this was by far the best oriental meal I have ever tasted BUT, do check your bill. I dined with two other colleagues, two of us drank water (two glasses each) and the other red wine (house red wine), the drinks bill came to 1664CZK! Yes that's £52 or $101! The water was £20 and the red wine was £16 a glass. A blatant rip off if you ask me. The food was roughly 800CZK (£25/$31) per head we had starters, mains and two desserts so not soo bad.
In terms of location the hotel is south of the centre on Metro Vysehrad which is easy to use and quite cheap. I wouldn't book this hotel again for my conference group because of my personal experience at check in, but overall I would say it is a well run medium class hotel, probably more like a four star in the UK.

Stayed June 2008
Mnagement_response, Jana Horackova, Public Relations Manager at Corinthia Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 27 June 2008
Dear Madam, thank you for your review of your stay at the Corinthia Towers Hotel. We are deeply sorry to hear about your negative experiences while checking in - I will pass your feedback to our Front office Manager to make sure this does not reoccur to other guests in the near future. Thank you once again for submitting your review. Sincerely, Jana Horackova

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
london, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2008

I booked a fantastic deal for this hotel (inc flights) through Travelzoo for my partner's birthday. After several problems including the 'no show' of our airport transfer, a twin room instead of a double and an air-con that didn't work, finally got upgraded to an Executive Suite. WOW! How the other half live!
Superior quality pillows and duvet, super kingsize bed, two bathrooms with softer loo paper and better quality toiletries, not to mention two plasma screen TV's, fully equipped kitchenette and free internet. We were also given free use of the pool facilities, which surprisingly you are charged for even if you are a resident.
I have to say the only downside of the Corinthia Towers is that you have to get the metro backwards and forwards into Prague's historic centre. Not that this is a real issue, as the metro is literally 30 seconds walk away and travel is dirt cheap. If there were a few restaurants/bars in the vicinity this wouldn't even be a problem, but the hotel is bang in the middle of nowhere.
However the hotel is spotlessly clean, the staff extremely helpful and the breakfast has to be one of the best I've ever had! As with any buffet style restaurant the earlier you rise the better chance you have of getting the pick of the fresh fruit and really hot cooked breakfast, but it was all replenished quickly. The only negative is that the staff were fairly slow in resetting tables, almost to the point of you knicking what bits are missing from the table next to you!
In a nutshell - good points are everything, bad point is being a bit out the way but with a metro next door!!

• Liked — choice at breakfast - especially the flavoured syrups to go in your coffee
  • Disliked — initial problems with things organised via email direct with hotel not showing up or being delivered
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank snogaroonies
Mnagement_response, Public Relations Manager at Corinthia Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 11 June 2008
Dear Madam / Sir, thank you for choosing Corinthia Towers Hotel for the special occasion. We are sorry to hear about problems you had at the beginning of your stay and we are pleased at the same time that you enjoyed your stay at the Executive Suite. Both positive and negative comments are very important for us, only through them we can improve our services. We are looking forward to welcome you back, kind regards, Jana Horackova
Camberley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2008

The hotel is way out from the main tourist sites but the metro is literally outside of the door - tickets can be bought from the extremely helpful concierge staff (~£3 for a 24hr hop on /off ticket for the metro & trams).
The rooms are nothing special but housekeeping is excellent. Our first room, with the best view of the city, was too warm and since they could not improve the air conditioning they immediately offered us a choice of alternative rooms which were cooler.
Prices in the hotel are extortionate (~£9 for a bottle of Evian in the room) but since we only paid ~£70 per night for the 2 of us B&B, and we could eat out this was no major problem. Breakfast had an extensive choice including an array of Bio options.
Like others we were disappointed to find that we had to pay for the leisure facilities.
Prior to travelling I had contacted the hotel for details on transfer cars and also details of shops which we wanted to track down. The customer relations staff replied with all the details we required and were most helpful.
We found that the foyer had a distinct smell of cigarrette smoke about it and occasionally in our room we would get a whiff of it - I guess that in the UK we are becoming so used to hotels and restaurants being 'Smoke-free' that it is even more obvious when we travel to countries without the same laws.
A great plus was a 12 noon check-out - and when I asked for an extra hour this was ok (they were not too busy that day).

All in all this hotel gave us a good base, comfortable & clean room, excellent breakfast to start the day and extremely helpful staff.

• Liked — Clean & comfortable room with excellent breakfast
  • Disliked — The air condiitoning was very ineffective and the price of a bottle of evian
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mnagement_response, Jana Horackova, Public Relations Manager at Corinthia Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 8 April 2008
Dear Madam / Sir, Thank you for spending your time and sharing your comments with us. Your feedback is highly appreciated and only through them we can continuously seek for ways how to improve. Kind regards, Jana Horackova, Public Relations Manager
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2008

Me and my husband just came from Prague. We stayed for 2 nights in the Corinthia Towers Hotel and we were impressed especially by the wonderful view. Its a tall building only a few minutes from city center with friendly employees and great selection of restaurants (we tried Rickshaw and Toscana). Evening visit of swimming pool on 26th floor was fantastic!We look forward to return.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mnagement_response, Public Relations Manager at Corinthia Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 8 April 2008
Dear Madam / Sir, Thank you for your kind words concerning our restaurants and staff. We are pleased we met your expectations and hope to welcome you in the Corinthia Towers Hotel in a near future. Sincerely, Jana Horackova, Public Relations Manager
ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2008

we booked a superior double room and i was very dissapointed with the standard of facilities,it seemed that this superior room is their "standard" room.there wasn't an iron in the room! room was average compareable to a 3star standard. there was maintainence work be carried out in rooms and we were not informed of same. after saving up for a break in prague what we experienced in this hotel would cause us to return.

• Liked — adjacent to subway
  • Disliked — facilities
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mnagement_response, Jana Horackova, Public Relations Manager at Corinthia Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 7 April 2008
Dear Madam / Sir, Thanks you for submitting your comment. We are deeply sorry to hear about negative experiences during your stay caused by maintenance work. We apologize for any uncomfortable situation, but it should also be known that we are extensively working on upgrade of our services and hope to welcome you back. Sincerely, Jana Horackova, Public Relations Manager
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2008

this hotel is great, stayed here for halloween break and had an excellent time. the rooms are lovely and the hotel has everything you could imagine, breakfast is fabulous witha massive selection and use of the leisure centre is free if you go in between one and two you can stay there as long as you want once your in at these times, beware of the saunas tho as an irish person i wasnt quite used to seeing nude people in them but luckily male and female saunas are seperate. the location is ideal with the underground right outside the door.

• Liked — everything
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mnagement_response, Public Relations Manager at Corinthia Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 31 March 2008
Dear Madam/Sir, thank you for taking your time by posting your valuable review. We appreciate your feedback on our leisure center "Level 25" - our sauna and steam room are separated for male and female . We are pleased to hear you were happy with our services and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Corinthia Towers Hotel in the near future. Many thanks, Jana Horackova, Public Relations Manager
Rishon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2008

So you say a 5 star hotel ?
I was in the hotel during 16.03-19.03 of 2008 .
Because this was a non turist season , it was quite empty.
I've booked this hotel through my travel agent because I read on theire web site about the facilities it has.
The rooms - were like a good 3 star or 4 star. Nothing above the average - clean , not too big , small TV , mini-bar , safe . Nothing more , nothing less - sure not something to pay extra for.
Now lets get to the good part -
1. Although advertise to have internet access , forgot to mantion that it was ~30$ a day !!! - I got free internet at a 3 star hotel in Turkey !

2. Although advertise to have a SPA , swimming pool , and workout room (and this was one of the biggest reasons for me to pick this hotel) , they seem to forgot to mantion that it costs about 20$ a day to use it ! Now it doesn't seem like a lot , but I wanted to workout for 4 days and would have to may more then a monthly membership costs in my gym.
When I explained everything to the manager - he said "that's your problem. you can pay or we can upgrade your room for 35 YURO a day" .

So basically you have a 5 star hotel , with everything making it a 5 star cost extra - a lot extra.

One last thing , I know that stuff in the hotel cost more then regular but judge for yourself - a bottle of mineral water - outside 15-20 KCZ , in the room 290 KCZ .
Beer - outside 30-35KCZ , in the hotel bar - 83CKZ.
2 shirts ironning (express - means less then 3 hours) - about 150$ (according to the room pricelist) - to be fair the hotel has an ironning room you can use yourself - it's just that then don't tell you about it.

The only good thing was the polite and helpfull concierge.

So in my opinion - a 3 star hotel , with not the best location - surounded by NOTHING (you have to go by metro to the city at night to find anything) and very expensive.

• Liked — Clean room
  • Disliked — Nothing to make it a 5 star hotel
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Genaddiy
Mnagement_response, Jana Horackova, Public Relations Manager at Corinthia Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 27 March 2008
Dear Madam / Sir, thank you for your review of the Corinthia Towers Hotel. We regret that we didn't match your expectations. We don't promote our spa to be free of charge as well as internet connection - these services are free for guests staying at the Executive floor. We would like to ensure you that we are doing our best to provide all guests outstanding services.We believe it is from our guest´s feedbacks (negative or positive) we can learn and seek for ways how to improve. Best regards, Jana Horackova, Corinthia Towers Hotel