“Great Hotel”

Corinthia Hotel Prague
Ranked #161 of 649 Hotels in Prague
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I have just returned from a long weekend break from Prague. The Corinthia is a great hotel, conveniently located. Metro station is situated just outside the hotel parameters. This made is very easy travelling into town.
I wasn’t sure what to expect as this was the first time I decided to stay at a hotel which was not as famous as Hilton for example. As soon as I walked into the lobby I was greeted by friendly member of the staff. Check-in was a pleasant experience which didn’t take long.
The executive room was larger than I had expected, with a beautiful view of the city. It was clean with all the facilities as expected. The room service was excellent.
The room was cleaned thoroughly and finished off with pleasant touches which showed care for the job. All the staff were excellent, very helpful and friendly.
The buffet breakfast was very good, with a large selection everyday. I didn’t get the opportunity to eat at the restaurant.
The swimming pool located on the 24th floor was excellent, with an amazing view from the windows.
I would recommend this hotel to my friends and definitely stay there on my next visit to Prague.

• Liked — Friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Cannot think of any.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank riazk
Mnagement_response, Public Relations Manager at Corinthia Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 2 February 2009
Dear Madam, Sir,
let me thank you for choosing Corinthia Hotel Prague for your stay and for posting positive feedback concerning our services and staff.
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in near future.
Best wishes
Jana Horackova

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn
Reviewed 15 January 2009

I would not normally never write a review of a joint like this place but after reading the misleading information on this hotel and reading the over the top positive reviews, I think in all fairness it should be explained to people exactly what this place is like.

I stayed in this place on a romantic trip to Europe with the … *sigh* … wife. Our anniversary was while we were Prague and I wanted to make it special so I splashed out on a nice suite, requested champagne, chocolate, flowers and the works. It was supposed to be beautiful, just like when we was first married. It was supposed to be a surprise too.

So when we arrive, the place seemed nice but no one came over to say “Salud” or take the luggage, not like in Italy. It was like checking into Disneyland. I’m expecting a nice 5-star welcome, and instead some 25-year old hotel school kid wants my passport number. Still, I wouldn’t hold it against them, maybe they don’t have that kind of hospitality in Prague. There was a very big queue for the reception and I wasn’t too pleased. But after a while we managed to check in and I discretely mentioned to the receptionist if my requests had been taken care of. She nodded and smiled.

When we got up the room, I was angry to see that they had given us a small room. If the room was a garage, you would have trouble parking a car in it, that’s how small it was. Definitely not the suite I paid for. No sign of the anniversary stuff I requested too. Anyway, I explained to the wife that we had a suite and it was supposed to be a surprise so I was going to phone them up as there must be some kind of mistake here. Of course she didn’t believe me because I usually don’t splash out on that kind of stuff and she started unpacking. No one was answering the phones so I went down to the reception. Just my luck, the queue was even bigger this time. I wasn’t going stand there all day, so I marched right up to the receptionist wearing the nicest suit, who I think must have been a manager and I explained to him what had happened. He was none too pleased and started saying that I had been given the right room out loud so everyone could hear as if I was some sort of deadbeat. Let’s just say I gave him a crash course in hotel management.

Anyway, problem solved we got moved to the suite. On the 16th floor with a nice view too. And the guy was quite apologetic about the whole affair in the end and offered to have the porter move our luggage and all. But when the porter finished moving our luggage and I was letting him out of the room he stood there hinting for a tip. I explained to him very nicely, I had just arrived in Czechoslovakia and didn’t have money yet. Then he suggested I pay him dollars. I just shut the door.

We were kind of tired from all that travelling it was late, about 10 o’clock and we didn’t have time take a walk on down to the bank and since this place is prity much in the middle of nowhere, we decided to eat in the restaurant in the hotel. The restaurant staff were awful. These guys could mess up a cup of coffee, and they did too! When we went into the restaurant they made it clear that they weren’t happy about us going in there at that hour. They made a big song and dance about us arriving so late. At 10 o clock? I wasn’t in the mood for that nonsense. I told him very clearly, we were guests and we are going to be having dinner in the restaurant whether they were happy about it or not. And if he has a problem with that he can go downstairs and talk to my manager friend. I tell you, he set a table for us fairly fast!

Next day after our events in Prague. Prague is a beautiful city by the way. We got up nice and early, went up the leisure facilities on the top floor. Lovely views too. I have to say, I was very unhappy about the separate saunas for men and women as it was our anniversary that day and we wanted to spend every minute of it together. Also these European guys don’t cover up when they’re in the sauna, if you know what I mean. I had to leave the sauna because I wasn’t comfortable with the view. And how about the casino on the second floor? It’s sad really for a family hotel, while mommy is sampling the mediocre service and odd food of the Corinthia Hotel, daddy drops ther house payments and juniors college fund on the poker slots.

We decided not to eat in the hotel anymore after the previous night because it was so rubbish. A great decision as there are plenty of fine Italian restaurants in the square in Prague. They give you delicious food, perfect wine, great service. It was a great place to have a meal for our anniversary. When we went back to the hotel, we were going to have a drink in the piano bar downstairs. I was disappointed no one was playing the lovely white grand piano. Seems like a waste if you ask me. I was tempted to go over and play a few Billy Joel tunes to liven the place up a bit but that required a drink first. Pity we couldn’t get a drink because the bar was closed. It must have been only just past twelve. Anyway, I told them straight up, “we’re not leaving until we get a Cutty and water. I mean this is ridiculous, I’m hearing all kinds of bad stuff, I can’t go here, I can’t go there…” and they must have thought I was serious because they went and got us the drinks! I mean, after 3 days the bartender didn’t even know my name, what I drank… Still though, do you see what I’m getting at here? Nevermind getting anything special or 5-star because this place doesn’t do 5 star service even though they tell you they are. You have to complain and complain and complain in order to get a very basic service. The only 5 star thing these guys know how to do is to charge you 5 star. They know how to do that prity well. Oh and don’t even bother with room service. You order room service on Tuesday, you’re lucky if it arrives by Thursday.

On the way back up the room, as we’re walking along this circular corridor I hear this noise getting louder and louder. As luck would have it, four youths had got a suite next door to us and were playing loud jungle music. We could hear the music in our bedroom. It really ruined the romance on our anniversary night. I was not very happy. I called reception once or twice about it and nothing happened. We tried to ignore the music. Then we heard the loud sound of smashing glass. I think these yahoos were throwing beer bottles at the wall. The same wall our bed was up against. That was it, I went down to reception and told them the fix the problem but they didn’t seem to care. What am I a mirage? I was thinking of calling the cops, but instead I decided to settle the case out of court. So I took matters into my own hands. Lets just say I persuaded them to keep the noise down. Point is why should I have to go banging on doors arguing with morons to keep the noise down and not the people who are supposed to be in charge of this place? In America the security would have thrown these balloon-heads out a lot sooner. I don’t understand why they let those kind of people into the hotel. It’s supposed to be 5 star right? Well then make a rule, suit, shoes, shirt and tie, or you’re out! That rule always separates the men’s men from the guys.

Next day we were up later than usual for breakfast. The place was a lot busier. We got a table and got settled in and when we were ready to eat there was no coffee. We were in a rush because we had booked one of those romantic cruises on the river, I think they call it Danub. There must have been only 2 or 3 waiters on duty and they kept ignoring me when I was signalling for the coffee. Anyway it happened once too many so I stood up with a coffee cup and spoon and starting making noise until they came over and poured the coffee. I mustn’t have been the only one who wasn’t happy with the service because when I done that everyone around starting cheering in support.

After all this I had given up on the hotel. Its not a nice place to stay and the people who work there, whose wages we pay by paying so much money to stay there, I might add, were on a whole, fairly rude and nasty. For instance when I just wanted to relax in the lounge one evening while I’m waiting for the wife to get ready before we went out, the waiter comes over to me and asks me what I want. I says nothing. And he starts huffing and sighing and walks off in disgust. That’s not nice. Of course there are some people who were nice but very disappointed overall. We just decided to enjoy our trip and see the castle and all that and spend as little time as physically possible in the hotel.

The day we were leaving though we had problems with the tab. Had to argue with them to get it right. Anyways, we were going to leave the bags with the porters for a while as the wife wanted to take one last walk over a famous bridge called the Charlie bridge. So we found a porter. He took my wife’s bag and I wheeled my own bag into the room. He gives me a ticket for the bags and points to this plate and says you leave our tips there. That was it. That was the last straw. I grabbed the bags and marched right out of the hotel. I didn’t want to spend another second in that awful place where the people are all me me me me and couldn’t care about the paying customer.

So long story short, no I wouldn’t recommend you to stay here. Badly managed if you ask me. I could do a better job myself and I know nothing about the hotel business.

2 Thank big_vistore
Reviewed 13 January 2009

I stayed in Corinthia towers with my mum and two sisters in Dec 08 and had a great time. Check in was efficient and we were informed that our rooms had been upgraded!

Our rooms were twin's, both very clean and no problems at all. We found the metro station outside to be very useful as this is how we travelled around the city.

The breakfast was also great, was a lot of choice - everyday we found something new to try and as it was a buffet breakfast we ate a great deal so that it lasted for most of the day!

We dined in the hotel restaurants which, if a little pricey, were nice and had good service.

I have booked a suprise trip to Prague for my boyfriend for valentines weekend next month and I am pleased that I managed to book this hotel as quite a few sites were showing it as fully booked. After reading some of these reviews where people have had bad experiences I just hope Im lucky again with the room. I upgraded to a panoramic room so I hope it should be around the same standard? Any ideas on this?

• Liked — Lovely surroundings, convenient location and great views
  • Disliked — Some of the staff were quite brash and expected tips.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Mnagement_response, Public Relations Manager at Corinthia Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 15 January 2009
Dear Madam,
thank you for taking your time to write your warm comments. We appreciate your feedback on our guest rooms and services.

Its my pleasure to inform you that we are preparing a special Valentine´s three-course dinner at Toscana restaurant on February 14th, 2009. You are more than welcome.

We will do our utmost to make your next stay even more enjoyable.

Warm regards,

Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 28 December 2008

This was probably the worst place i stayed in the last 3 years - and i stayed in 5 star hotels and in motels in islands....

The problems:

1. The room was cold and the heating was not working

2. Horrible experience at breakfast:
a. During breakfast there are 2 waiters for about a room full of 60-70 people! So cleaning tables - serving coffee - putting new plates on tables , well...is something that is not done!
b. We never found a clean table and we always sat on table with the plates and breakfast of the people sitting previously.
c. You have to run after one of the two waiters to get a cup of coffee.
d. You have to run after one of the two waiters to get clean spoons, knifes etc...
An example: We sat on a table - tried for 3-4 minutes to find a waiter to clean the table. Then when we came back from the buffet, took us another 2-3 minutes to find a waiter to give us some coffee. Then i wanted a spoon for my cornflakes. I went to the waiter (again i am saying "i went" because the y never come to you, you have to go after them) i asked for a spoon and she looked in the draw, she found only small spoons and said back "sorry we do not have spoons for cornflakes!". I had to go to the manager to bring me a spoon from the kitchen! This took me 4-5 minutes...
e. Do not be surprised if as you are having your breakfast people with their dogs pass beside you and maybe a dog will be sitting by your table.

3. When the concierge got our bags in a room for holding them for 4-5 hours, he said "Here, you leave our tips". Horrible thing to say to a customer! I was going to leave tips when i was going to get my bags later, but did not give anything to them!

I will definitely never stay here again - or in any Corinthian hotel...

1 Thank fekish
Mnagement_response, Public Relations Manager at Corinthia Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 13 January 2009
Dear Madam, Sir,
we are very sorry to hear about your unpleasant experiences during your stay at our hotel.
I will pass your valuable comments to Food&Beverage Manager and also to Rooms Division Manager and we all will make sure it won´t repeat again.
Thank you very much to bring these issues to our attention.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 27 December 2008

I stayed in the Corinthia hotel for a 5-day business trip and I present my experience below:

-Checking in: Check-in in the Corinthia towers was an interesting experience. It was like checking into Hong Kong airport. The staff were surly, inefficient and brash. No help was given with our bags and the hotel’s feeble computer mainframe struggled to cope with the strain of checking in 4 guests to 2 rooms for a few nights. We were queuing for over an hour with no communication with any Corinthia employee. It was an unpleasant and disturbing experience and in any 5 star hotel, I would expect to find solace after a long and wearisome journey. This was not the case with the Corinthia hotel. We were over in Prague on a business trip and after arriving jet-lagged, the incompetence of the Corinthia check-in staff and lack of courtesy of the porters and reception management added a further strain to our already tiresome day. The porters didn’t even offer to take our luggage.

-The room: I can only thank God that we were finally able to check in, though sometimes I wish we hadn’t. Our tribulations were only beginning. We purchased a newly refurbished superior business suite with twin beds but were instead given an inferior, dilapidated, cramped room with a double bed. We were forced to complain repeatedly to have this “rectified.” Throughout the evening we were moved from room to room, until we eventually ended up in a disabled room with again feeble facilities, dry rot on the walls and stuttering, unreliable air-conditioning. The room didn’t even have BBC world on the TV and the transmission for Sky News was suspect. It is a savage indictment on the Corinthia hotel that they treat their clientele like this. We were forced to spend the night in this room but promptly complained the next morning with senior management. The room we were finally allotted was what we paid for nevertheless was mediocre compared to other 5 star hotels which I frequent.

-Restaurant: After all the high jinks with the room we tried to get some food from the hotel restaurant. This proved to be more of a challenge than one would expect in a so-called 5 star hotel. Despite it being only 10 o’clock, we had to argue with the staff of the restaurant to be allowed in, even though there were clearly other people being seated. This was demoralising, rude and unnecessary. The food when we got it, to be fair, was outstanding, but the overall experience left a sour taste. At the end of the evening, while in the process of rushing us out of the restaurant prematurely, the Maitre D’ heavily implied that he expected a tip from us of something in the order of 300 crowns. I explained to him how inappropriate this was in no uncertain terms.

-Bar: To cope with the stresses and strains of our business trip compounded by the added stresses of surly, disrespectful, incompetent staff, we decided to venture into the bar on the ground floor. When one is on a stressful business trip, one wants to relax at the end of the day with a nice beverage. We ordered Bombay martinis, very dry, with 3 olives. We were instead presented with dry martinis, with 2 olives and made with cheap Gordon’s gin! When I tried to complain about our sub-standard martinis, the waitresses ignored me and continued to clear other tables. Incidentally, the bar closes at 1 am. This is unacceptable by British standards. As an attempt at reconciliation for the previous night’s shenanigans, the next morning the manager surprised us by offering a bottle of wine. Over a day later, no wine had arrived. We had to complain to reception for the bottle of wine they were supposed to give us as reconciliation for all their negligence! They did, eventually, leave the bottle of wine in our room with an apology note, but insulted us with a bottle of cheap house red.

-Interactions with management: On the whole, management were doing their best, I feel, with substandard resources. However, it would be remiss of me not to mention one particularly insulting incident with management. As an attempt to justify the hotels decision to give us a double room, the manager offered his opinion that perhaps my business partner and I were some sort of alternative couple. This was deeply offensive and an unnecessary, childish insinuation.

-Security: While we were relaxing in the lobby one evening, a crowd of hooligans on a stag weekend trooped into the lobby and began causing a scene. Without going into too much of the sordid details, there was an incident which made me fear for my personality safety and required the intervention of security. It took security quite a few minutes to arrive, which was a quite ineffective one man operation. Suffice it to say the attitude of the staff was unsympathetic and aloof in the fallout of this event.

-Room service: It is a requirement of any 5-star hotel to have an efficiently, tightly coordinated, comprehensive room-service at all times. The Corinthia promised just that with a delightful but misleading room service menu. At 4 in the morning, my colleagues and I rang room service and ordered 4 sirloin steaks, medium rare, chips and salad as a side order, tiramisu for dessert and a large jug of coffee. They didn’t have sirloin steaks, so I requested 4 burgers instead. They didn’t have burgers, so I was willing to settle for a pizza instead, and they didn’t have that either! We had to settle for 4 helpings of nachos – Pathetic. When the nachos finally arrived, they were brought by a well-dressed but unprofessional roof service official who found cause to laugh at us because we were dressed in bath robes. What did he expect, it was 4 in the morning and we were up bright and early for a working breakfast. If one wants to behave in a relaxed fashion in a 5 star hotel, one should be able to do so without being mocked by a member of staff.

-Staff: The porters requested payment for handling luggage. They had a unique system of doing this. In the porters’ room, there is a long tray with notes for many currencies (US Dollars, Euro and Sterling) and after handling your luggage they request a tip while repeatedly tapping at the tray, which seemed brusque and unmannerly. It is important to note that they request a tip both when you leave your luggage in their hands and also when you take it out again. This is a reflection of the broader attitude of the staff who expect tips at the end of every interaction you have with them, and make their malcontent clear if you do not oblige. If you go to the Corinthia hotel, expect to be pressured for tips consistently throughout your stay by members of staff from all departments no matter how trivial their contribution. They expect tips, however are not prepared to make that extra effort to provide a service that warrants gratuity.

-Limousine: I have to however complement the limousine service. They have a handsome fleet of E-class executive Mercedes-Benzes. The chauffer drove with vigour. It was a no holds barred attempt to get us to the airport as quick as humanly possible. However we cannot complement the Corinthia for this service as it was outsourced. Our full complements to the limousine company and their employees.

-It is important to note that if you stay in the Corinthia hotel, you will have an experience that is at least reasonably comfortable, with average food, a pricy but not totally unpleasant bar and nice views. My beef stems from the fact that their hotel is advertised as a 5-star luxury hotel. It is therefore incumbent upon them to meet the expectations created by this classification. The cross-section of society who seek 5-star service, will not settle for the kind of sub par treatment we received in the Corinthia hotel. If it had been advertised as a 3 star hotel, I would probably have given it a favourable review and I would probably also recommend that you stay there. Indeed, as a 3 star hotel, it would be more than adequate based on this inferior classification. However, it is supposedly a 5-star hotel and you pay proportionately higher prices. This hotel is not 5-star. The staff is 3-star, the food is 4-star, the logistical framework is 2-star. I could go on. It violates multiple criteria that 5-star hotels are expected to meet such as:

*No late night bar
*No 24 hour room service
*Not assigned the correct rooms, as purchased
*Porters/Bellhops not available when needed
*Rooms in disrepair
*Unpleasant staff
*Long, tedious check-in procedure

If you are intending to stay in a 5 star hotel, in Prague, for business or pleasure, I can recommend the following hotels which I have had the pleasure of staying in:

*Hilton Old Town
*Marriott Prague
*Barcelo Prague
*Four Seasons Prague
*Radisson Alcron Hotel.

The 5-star classification they have attached to the hotel is not mine. It is theirs. I am not holding them to any standards above their own. I think this hotel needs to carefully review its status and where it wants to go from here, because either their star-rating or their service will need to radically change if they are to survive.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
9 Thank Inter_Business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 December 2008

My wife and I stayed here on the 5/6/7 of December 2008. We had booked a cheap getaway through last minute.com. One of their secret hotels that you can take a good guess at when Googling the details beforehand.

The airport to the hotel took about 35 minutes and we are glad that we had pre booked the taxi before hand as it proved to be much cheaper than haggling and standing in a taxi cue at the airport.

We liked the fact that the hotel was a little way out of Prague, exactly two stops by the very efficient metro and the journey took 5 minutes. The cost of travel by metro was 15 Krona each. This meant that we got a peaceful hotel that could get us into the action very quickly. The check-in and check-out were efficient, and the front staff were friendly.

Our room was on the 22nd floor, there was an excellent view. We had booked a normal double but the saving we got with last minute allowed us to up grade with the hotel to an executive room, before arrival. The room was clean and well-kept, and the bathroom also was spotless.

It was well appointed with all amenities a business or leisure traveler would need. We ate in the Oriental Rickshaw restaurant which proved to be excellent! in terms of service quality and quantity. Our flight meant that we didn’t get to the restaurant until 10.30pm but that didn’t seem to matter to the staff as they treated us as if we had arrived at 8pm.

We ate breakfast in the Executive room and it was buffet style, with cereals, hot English Breakfast, cold meats, cheeses and fresh fruit all proved to be of the hotels 5 star rating..The Executive Lounge was a little Oasis very quiet and the service was attentive but not stifling. Between 6pm and 8pm there were Canapés and Drinks.

We used the hotel bar after nights out and the staff were courteous and pleasant.

The staff are extremely efficient and when they say that breakfast finishes at 11am the staff get into action like a formulae 1 racing outfit as they can change tables and clear everything off within two minutes. If you are late for breakfast don’t expect anything to be left out as at 2 minutes past the kitchen team have tidied everything away. This is not a complaint. Just to note that sometimes in the UK we think 11am means 11.15 or 11.30. We found the Czechs to mean everything was on time! For us it was nice to see how efficient and smoothly everything works.

Having stayed in many 5 star hotels around the world I am glad that we stayed at the Corinthia as they equaled other 5 stars around the world! We would definitely stay at this hotel again

• Liked — The size of room
2 Thank steven b
Mnagement_response, Public Relations Manager at Corinthia Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 10 December 2008
Dear Sir,
thank you for taking your time by posting such a positive and valuable review. Its always pleasant to learn when our service fulfill the expectation of the guest. The team of Corinthia Hotel Prague is happy that we managed to make your stay memorable one.
Sincerely
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 8 November 2008

Stayed for one night in early November on a business trip. The check-in and check-out were efficient, and the front staff was friendly.

My room was on the 15th floor, but there was no view due to the thick fog. People I was travelling with told me that the view is usually pretty good. The room was clean and well-kept, and the bathroom also was spotless. The bed was too soft for my preference, but not an issue. As a welcome gift, there were fresh fruit and bottled water available in the room.

Only problem in the room was the lack of working space. There was a built-in desk on one side of the room, but it was not deep enough for comfortable working position. Also, there was only one free power socket under the table. To charge both my laptop and my cell phone at the same time, I had to disconnect one of the lights in the room.

The Internet was charged separately (CZK 475, or about EUR 19). In 2008 you would expect that business hotels would include Internet connection to the room price.

We had a buffet dinner in the hotel’s Italian restaurant. No surprises there.

The breakfast buffet was excellent. There were lots of cold and warm choices in the buffet, and also some items available made-to-order.

All in all, the visit was OK. Wish there had been a little bit better working conditions, but this was no major problem. I would recommend this hotel for other travellers.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mnagement_response, Public Relations Manager at Corinthia Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 12 November 2008
Dear Madam, Sir
first of all let me thank you for your valuable comment on our services, especially on the internet connection. Am pleased to inform you that hotel is already working on installation of it own wireless Internet network in guest rooms, function rooms and public areas. This project should be completed by the end of 2008. Pity you couldn´t enjoy the view due to the fog, because its really unique. We are looking forward to welcome you back in near future.
Wist best regards