“Great for conferences but not a holiday hotel”

Vienna House Diplomat Prague
Ranked #202 of 649 Hotels in Prague
London, United Kingdom
“Great for conferences but not a holiday hotel”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The hotel is about 2 miles out of town but next to the Metro.
The rooms are clean but dated and my no smoking room was distinctly whiffy. The safe couldn't fit a computer in and no iron. And the shower didn't drain.
For a conference venue it's great. Very sociable eating area and good conference rooms. However the one on-site cafe obviously hadn't been told there was a conference starting at 1 and had 2 staff for about 100 people.

Breakfast buffet style was good and plentiful.
Very good sauna, whirlpool and massage.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The hotel is quite outside the main town, in the center of the diplomatic quarter. One clearly does not travel here if you want to walk in the town. There is also almost nothing around. It is a typical business hotel, a bit of the old kind. The rooms are a bit old, clean, but nothing special. The bathroom was so and so, and the same for the bed. I didn't really sleep so well. Breakfast is fine. I enjoyed the kindness of the personnel, always helpful and speaking a good English. I would probably not come back here if not for a conference or a business meeting nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Diplomat011, General Manager at Vienna House Diplomat Prague, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Alessandr078,

I would like to thank you for feedback about your recent stay in Diplomat hotel. I would like to point out that Diplomat hotel is proud to be ideally located only 15 minutes from the airport while 3 stops of the underground from Old town area. We are also located within 10 minutes walknig distance from the Prague Castle. Diplomat Hotel is seated in the diplomatic and residential area of many embassies as well as governmental offices with many restaurants in the area. I really appreciate all your comments and I am going to share them with a management team of the hotel.

Thank you once again for your feedback, I am looking forward to welcome you in our hotel again.

Palos Heights, IL
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We spent a Thursday and Friday in early October of this year at the Diplomat in Prague. We were part of a 39 person tour. When we arrived at the front of the hotel, there were already 3 large tour buses in front. That should have been a clue as to how crowded the hotel would be. We were told that instead of having our breakfast and dinners on the second floor, we would eat on the main floor with lots of other groups.

It was very crowded, with hardly any dishes or silverware, much less food on the buffet tables. The staff did their best to try to replace everything as quickly as possible, but there were just too many visitors. The coffee was on the bar, not convenient to the eating area and you had to walk thru crowds carrying your coffee or tea.

The room was fine and they had a quiet internet area with 2 computers for use, but that did not make up for all the confusion and lack of food, especially the day we arrived after a long bus ride from Poland.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your recent feedback about your stay in Diplomat Hotel. I am very sorry that you found our hotel overcrowded, we do have capacity of 400 rooms therefore we can accommodate up to 800 guests during our highest occupancy. I do understand that may you expect smaller operations it might seem too crowded environment for you.

I do apologize for the inconveniences during our breakfast services due to the limited space of our restaurant. I would like to ensure you that we are taking all necessery steps to avoid such situation in future.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we are looking forward to your next visit in Prague.

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This hotel and conference center is not recommendable. The food was bad, service was subpar, the mattresses have likely not been changed in decades, the acoustics in the conference halls were terrible, and to top it off, the hotel completely rips its customers off who simply want to take a taxi to the main train station. Prague is an incredible city and is a wonderful venue for a conference, but do not hold the conference at this venue!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Conference Traveler99,

I was most concerned to learn about your feedback about your stay in Diplomat Hotel. We are proud to be one of the biggest conference hotels in Prague with wide selection of meeting rooms, hosting hundreds of conferences every year. I am very sorry I did not have a chance to meet you during your stay and learn more about your comments, we do have conference managers presented during each conference on the floor to assist our guests with any difficulties such as acoustics quality.

I would like to also point out that we have our hotel transportation company with fixed rates to several destinations published at the reception desk and by the taxi stand. We are pleased to arrange public taxi for our guests may they decide to use services of different company.

Thank you once again for your feedback, I am looking forward to welcoming you in our hotel again in future.

Sincerely.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed here for a few nights while on business.
My check-in took quite a while (20 minutes) as the hotel had issues with my booking. Turns out my room had already been given out. This was eventually cleared up and I was able to get to my room. Later, the manager on duty had to contact me to verify my room and booking again as there was still some problems.
The room itself was dated and could use a serious refresh. Bathroom was acceptable. I did not use the minibar.
Breakfast was buffet style with hot and cold choices. Decent food and selection.
I found some of the front desk staff a bit unhelpful when asking for a taxi but one was eventually called.
I would not consider this a four star hotel, more of a three star, nor would I stay here again.

Dear guest,

thank you for sharing feedback about your recent stay in Diplomat Hotel. I highly appreciate all comments from our guests as it helps to identify areas for improvement and higher standards of our services. I would like to apologize for inconveniences about your booking upon your arrival, I am glad to know that it was sorted out with our front office staff and that our Manager on Duty also made sure that this issue is dealt with to your satisfaction. I would like to ensure you that I will share your feedback with a management team of the hotel and your comments will be taken very seriously.

Thank you once again for choosing Diplomat Hotel for your stay in Prague, we are looking forward to your next visit.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Spent one night and a day there, it was for a meeting: the facilites were well fitting for a small (200 participants) meeting. The food served at the social event the evening was of good quality and the service was up to expectations. You feel a little bit in the suburb, but finally down town is not too far away.A critical point these days: there is a big construction going on right under your window, so you will not need any alarm clock for getting up in time.

Room Tip: not on the construction side if possible
Volpiano, Italy
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Diplomat Hotel is a great 4 stars hotel in Praha, near the city center (only 2 underground stops from Malà Strana ). Diplomat is the best solutions for job meetings, conferences, expositions but also for individual client.
The hotel has very big and confortable rooms, a wide breakfast room with an international and rich breakfast. The staff is very friendly, efficient and helpfull.