“Generally pretty good!! Main fault was outside the hotel's control”

Vienna House Diplomat Prague
Ranked #196 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Three of us stayed here in June while touring the Czech Republic. This was the last hotel on our tour (out of 5) before we all went our separate ways after the weekend. We were here Saturday and Sunday night,

The location is slightly difficult to find if you get out by the wrong Metro entrance, since the main road (Evropska) has considerable building work taking place around the hotel area at the moment. Once at the right exit, however, it is less than 5 minutes' walk up the same side of the road,

We were checked in courteously but efficiently by a gentleman and proceeded to room 830 which, although high up, had a view predominantly over next door's construction site! This got going ridiculously early on the Sunday morning; they were banging around by 8am! I'm not sure what the Czech working laws are, but if such a thing were in the UK, the builders would take Sunday off or at least not start until much later! The rest of the view was over the suburb including a football stadium which definitely wasn't the most impressive I've ever seen!

The room was probably meant to only be a double and was a little cramped for three; one of us used a sofa bed, one the main bed and the third a single bed where the room narrowed in the alcove. However the beds were reasonably comfortable after a whole day's walking around the beautiful medieval city of Prague. A small round table in front of the larger semicircular table was simply unnecessary and hindered access to the smaller bed; the larger semicircular table would have sufficed perfectly. The room and the bathroom were generally pretty clean although the bathroom surface had one or two small marks on it so that would bring it down from excellent to good in my view. The shower worked perfectly fine,

Since we ate out both nights, once in Pilsen and the other in Prague (separate reviews to follow) I cannot comment on dinner, but the breakfasts were some of the best I've ever had in a hotel. Lots of hot and cold options including potatoes which always strike me as being weird first thing in the morning! There was even a grand piano being played in the hallway outside the restaurant (it was very badly out of tune, however!)

We checked out and I thanked Veronika (through whom I'd booked the hotel) for allowing us a pleasant stay, allowing us to catch the tram directly to the station still using the previous day's transport card, as contrary to the UK, where you buy day passes, over in Prague, they are valid 24 hours exactly from the moment you validate the ticket! A 24 hour pass is Kc110, around £3.50. Great value if you use quite a few buses and trams!

I would return to this hotel if I were on business, but I'd maybe look a bit closer to the centre for future leisure hotels, since this one is at the end of the metro or a fair way on the tram from the centre or the main station. However the price was the main factor and overshadowed other aspects like the distance! You just need to check if going out on a Friday/Saturday night whether you can easily get back on public transport early in the morning or whether a taxi home is required!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Diplomat011, General Manager at Vienna House Diplomat Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for your great feedback about your recent stay in Diplomat Hotel Prague. I was really pleased to read your comments and to learn that we managed to exceed your expectations of our services and that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

I highly appreciate all comments from our valued guests as they help us to improve level of our services and identify areas for improvement. I am deeply sorry for disturbance that you experienced early in the morning from the construction next door. You are very right that this is unfortunately out of our hands however good news for all of us is that the building will be finished in near future and therefore there will be no more noise.

Thank you once again for your feedback, I am very much loooking forward to welcoming you in our hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for Vienna House Diplomat Prague

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel which is very big and caters to business people, is 1 block from the metro which will take you to all the sights. The breakfast was excellent, the best I've ever seen which travelling in Europe. There is construction across the street but we couldn't hear any noise from it. The rooms have been upgraded on floors 5-8 so choose one of those. Originally they put me in a smoking room, NOT, so I moved to a non-upgraded room on the 4th floor for one night. It was like a 1963 James Bond room, very old, but it had cold A/C! All in all I would stay here again. Desk can help with most problems and they speak English well. For the airport, the airport bus stop is right outside the hotel, it was 24CR or $1.00US to ride to the airport, very convenient.

Room Tip: Choose a room above 4th floor, non-smoking if you don't smoke.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank horn2tr

Dear guest,

I was very much pleased to read your review about your stay in Diplomat Hotel Prague and I would like to thank you for sharing it with other travelers on Tripadvisor website. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and I will definitely share your feedback with the team of Diplomat hotel. It is comments like yours that encourage all of us to deliver highest level of services to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay and they will return back to our property and our city of Prague.

Thank you once again for your review, I am looking forward to welcoming you in our hotel again in future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My partner and I stayed for 2 nights at Diplomat via Groupon deal, 1st - 3rd July and from start to finish we had a great time. Staff at Diplomat were welcoming and friendly. Hotel very clean pleasant surroundings and spacious airy room. Would advise more tea and coffee packets in room as were not many on offer, also milk instead of powdered creamer would be better.

Spa was average but will say that there should not be a high charge to use when you only have about 45 minutes in the evening available to use it, if using the spa for a long time then fair enough, the girl at desk in spa was quite rude to me, expecting a high charge when I went up at 9.15pm it should be a reduced charge for a short visit.

Prague is a beautiful city full of charm and culture, like a fairy tale city. I would stay at Diplomat again definately and is a good base not far (5 mins) from the old town on the A metro underground. All in all lovely visit and wish I had booked another day!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gymrachel
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Upon our arrival at The Diplomat Hotel, I was immediately appalled by the terrible bell man service. No one was there to help with luggage or open the doors of our car. The lobby has the feel of a dirty gymnasium which smelled of mold. Checking in to the hotel was unpleasant and when I inquired of the hotel reception staff how many devices were allowed she responded "five ten fifteen twenty twenty-five thirty thirty-five". That irritating episode ended with us receiving our room keys. The elevators smelled and looked as if last renewed in 1990. Then after a terrible experience to check-in, the car service associated with the hotel (it had the hotel name on the side of it) charged us 20 euros to be taken 4.3 miles to Old Town Square (triple the price of a standard cab). The location is ridiculous if you want to be able to walk anywhere or not have to deal with figuring out how to use the metro. The carpet in the hallways were dirty and the entire establishment smelled of must and mold. Our bed was uncomfortable and dusty. There were bed bugs in our mattress and water damage around where the air-conditioning unit was. I saw every indication of mold. We spent one night here and woke up coughing all the next morning from dust in our lungs. It is a hazard to stay here from potential mold poisening. My family ended up having to leave the hotel and check into The Four Seasons. We did not get a refund for the nights we weren't able to stay there, but it was worth every penny spent to change hotels. Do not stay here if you're looking for a hotel in Prague. I don't know how this hotel got 4 stars, but even if you do want to stay in a disgusting hotel I'm sure you can find one a lot cheaper than 120 euros per night.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Isabelleb6
Diplomat011, General Manager at Vienna House Diplomat Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Isabelleb6,

I was most concerned to read your feedback on Tripadvisor. We do have a problem to follow your comments as several facts mentioned in your review seem to be incorrect and misleading.

I would like to kindly ask you to contact me on email address resident.mgr@diplomathotel.cz in order to further investigate and discuss your comments. I am very sorry but at this point we do not have any track of customer staying in our hotel and moving out after one night to the property that is of higher category and room rate while asking for refund of prepayment in our property. We do have manager on duty available 24/7 as well as management team of the hotel and none of our mangers or supervisors was contacted to deal with your complaint.

Thank you for contacting me to further investigate your experience.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Large lobby with friendly and helpful staff. Dining room large but tables were crowded together. Buffet was small and same choices for daily breakfast. Crepe station offered one morning but a long line. Not a big fruit selection. Rooms were standard with TV, safe box, refrig, coffee maker, hair dryer. Only a view of the construction site next door. Nice to have one outlet with 110 current. Very HARD to control the room temperature, always very warm and stuffy. Could open the window and that helped. Hotel convenient to metro stop about a block away.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights for a conference held at the venue here. This is a large hotel very suitable for conferences. Rooms very comfortable and clean. Staff very helpful. Overall a good modern hotel. Some distance from the tourist attractions though.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank John K