“The best value for money hotel experience we have ever had”
Review of Hilton Prague

Hilton Prague
Ranked #141 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I would like to to qualify the following review by stating that my wife and I have stayed in top end hotels (e.g. the Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur) as well as the budget end (Travelodge) and everything in between. This hotel was by far the best value for money experience we have ever had.
My wife and I were going to Prague to celebrate my wife's Birthday and our Anniversary. I emailed the hotel with a few requests to make our stay special (a cake for my wife's birthday delivered to the room for example). I sent my original email to the generic address given on their website, which went unanswered. However, when I called the hotel and spoke to an actual person, the person I spoke to handled my request brilliantly. I even emailed a few time to change some of my requests and each time I was pleased with the professionalism and politeness of the responses.
Compared to London, Paris, New York and Amsterdam, Prague is a relatively small city. Most things can be seen within a 20min walk from the city center. As we had one large suitcase each we had decided to book a transfer with another company. Had we only had hand luggage, we would have taken the efficient metro system to the hotel. The metro stops a 4/5min walk from the hotel. The hotel is located on the outskirts of Prague. We were told that the walk to the center is 25min (reading other reviews here and going by what the concierge said) but it took us 35min. I don't think we walk slowly, but I do think that we probably didn't take the most direct route. We once walked back to the hotel from the city center by walking along the river (the hotel is right next to the river) and it took us 45min. We knew it would take longer but wanted to take in the views of the river.
Every member of staff we had the pleasure of meeting at the hotel were extremely polite, courteous and helpful. From reading reviews on tripadvisor, we had decided to request a room with a river view. These rooms are at the furthest point from the lifts. The hotel is in a square shape with a central atrium. Some hotel rooms face out onto the atrium and some face out into the city. Although the walk is nothing too taxing, when staying at such an outstanding hotel, you notice things that you would not otherwise notice. This is something that we noticed. Next time we stay here (and I hope there will be a next time) I would ask for a city view room. The views from other sides of the hotel are just as good (I think) as the view of the river, but a little closer to the lifts. Our room was very clean, modern and spacious with a very comfortable bed. We were on the executive floor and had a large bathroom with a bath and shower. As we had an executive floor room, we had access to the executive lounge where we had breakfast, snacks served throughout the day and alcoholic beverages in the afternoon/evening. Breakfast was outstanding. A good selection of hot and cold choices, as well as 'made to order' dishes such as pancakes, smoked salmon scrambled eggs, french toast and others. During our stay my wife and I tried the mentioned dishes at breakfast all of which were exemplary. My wife and I were going on a city break but wanted to spend a large amount of time relaxing in the hotel (we're not fans of beach holidays!). The executive lounge has won an award in 2010 for the best executive lounge in eastern Europe, and I can believe it. The people working in the lounge were friendly, professional and helpful. The lounge became our second home (after our hotel room). The snacks and drinks gave us time to sit and talk to each other in a relaxed and comfortable environment. We didn't eat out in the city much, but instead chose to have our dinners in the hotel. Prices were on the high side compared to the rest of Prague, but in line with what we would expect to pay for meals in small-ish restaurants on the outskirts of London. It was still cheaper than what we would expect to pay at the Hilton in central London, however, so we thought we got a good deal. One one night, I ordered a toasted ham sandwich which came with a side order of chips. (french fries) and my wife ordered a chicken sandwich. I can't remember the exact price of them now, but I think it was the equivalent of £18 each. We were sat in the Bistro restaurant and at the time of ordering I thought I was getting ripped off. How wrong I was. The sandwich had been crafted by experts using the best of the best ingredients and executed with the precision used by Swiss watchmakers. The service was legendary. We would happily pay that much for the food we ate and the service we received again. On our last night, we decided to eat at the more traditionally Czech restaurant in the hotel (I forget the name). By this time, we had become used to receiving exceptional service and the service we received was in line with our heightened expectations. We ordered the duck which came with some side vegetables and potatoes. Words can not describe the excellent quality of what we were served. It had clearly been cooked by someone who was experienced, skilled and passionate. We went to the Cloud 9 Bar (top floor) for after dinner drinks. Going to the bar is an experience in itself. Even if you don't order a thing, make sure you walk through it and make sure you walk into it using the lifts near the main entrance of the hotel. You will not be disappointed.
We also made use of the Cybex Gym within the hotel. The gym can be used by non-residence through a membership and as such is as well equipped as a standard gym in the UK (Fitness First/Top Notch for example). This is clearly much better than the relatively simple offering in other hotels which have gyms only for people residing in the hotel. The pool is a good size and clean withe a Jacuzzi. There is also a steam room and sauna. The leisure facilities are excellent and well worth a visit.
The cake which I had requested for my wife's birthday was delivered to the room and, I was later informed had been hand made to order by the hotels' pastry chef. I had requested for the cake to include white chocolate as it is my wife's favorite. When it arrived, it was white chocolate heaven. It was of the a quality comparable with what we in the UK might get from Patisserie Valerie or Harrods (we have experience of both). I really was not expecting a cake of such high quality to be hand made to order by the hotel's pastry chef.
Our stay at this hotel was faultless. It really was. If we were going to be spending the whole of the day out in the city and only returning to the hotel in the evening to sleep, then I can understand why someone would not want to stay at this hotel or why someone would think that it was expensive. If, however, someone wanted a truly relaxing experience, to leave the hotel at about 11am for some sightseeing and return at 4pm to go to the gym, pool, and spend some time relaxing in the executive lounge (it is a 'holiday' after all!) and if you don't mind taking the metro for three stops or taking a relaxing walk to get to the center, we could not recommend this hotel highly enough. It exceeded all of our expectations and was excellent value for money. Each member of staff at the hotel are experts in their trade. To the excellently serviced rooms from housekeeping, to the chefs, the the service experienced from waiting staff and the front desk - they are all experts in everything they do. My top tip? Upgrade to the executive lounge. And eat a meal at the hotel. I recommend the duck and the toasted sandwiches.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city. If you can afford it, please do upgrade to the executive floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
GM_HiltonPrague, Duty Manager at Hilton Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your stay at the Hilton Prague.

It was indeed a great pleasure for me to read, that all our facilities, food served in our restaurants and especially the service provided by our Team met your expectations.

Please rest assured, that positive feedback such as yours acts for all of us as a great motivator.

I thank you again for taking your time to share your comments about our property and I look forward to welcome you back soon.

Please feel free to contact me on dutymanager.prague@hilton.com before your next stay with us.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed 20 August 2011

We visited Prague for a long weekend and had a nice time. As a Hilton DIA member we used points. We were given free internet, access to executive lounge. However, we always focus on getting out and walking the city and we did that in Prague. The public transport was a bit of a walk but no worries for us, we didn't mind. In fact we walked to old town most of the time, expect to the Prague Castle.

It is a nice hotel, nice staff and clean rooms. I would have expedited a bigger room but when using points that's usually how it is and I didn't ask.

One thing that we thought was excellent was the concierge. Every one of them gave us excellent eating, drinking, and local tips. They were in valuable to us as first time visitors to the city. We went to Vienna from here and the concierges' there were not very good.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
GM_HiltonPrague, Duty Manager at Hilton Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2011

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you very much for staying at the Hlton Prague.

I was delighted to read your comments and I am glad, that overall our facilities met your expectations and that you remained extremely satisfied with the service provided by our Concierge.

I look forward to your returns,

Reviewed 19 August 2011

This is a nice hotel with a nice pool and jacuzzi, but a little bit of a walk from the old town after crossing a busy main street and going around an highway ramp. There is a good expresso shop with free wifi across the street close by.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you very much for staying at the Hilton Prague and for your feedback.

I look forward to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 18 August 2011

My wife and i stayed Aug9-17th. The hotel is very inviting with its huge open lobby. We found the rooms large enough, but they were very dated. Old style T.V with very few Eng. channels, some lights did not work as well. The major drawback in the room was they have separate w.c and shower room. both very small and seemed more like hospital facilities. We found most of the staff to be quite unfriendly. Still, it was good enough for what we paid. Also, the bed was very hard,that's a plus for some......not me

Room Tip: Ask for an outside view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank brookdj1

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your stay at the Hilton Prague.

I truly regret, that our team members seemed unfriendly and that some of our facilities were not to your expectations.

Please allow me to mention, that upon request, it is possible to adjust the mattress in the room to make it softer; I regret you did not report the matter during your stay.

Nevertheless, concerning our TVs I am delighted to inform you, that all our current installed TVs will be changed to 37” flat LCD HD TVs by Q4 this year. Currently, only Executive rooms have flat screens in our hotel.

Moreover, in regards to the separate w.c and shower room, in our Standard rooms the w.c and the shower are separated, however, in our Executive rooms the w.c and the shower are build in one room.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in our property in the future.

With my Best Regards from the sunny Prague,

Reviewed 17 August 2011

First impressions matter and check-in was terrible. Without going into the details, the person on duty was very rude. Everyone else was helpful but it really set a bad tone for my stay. WIFI was a shocking $38/day. The room was comfortable and a decent size. The hotel is large and a bit impersonal. The location isn't ideal but the underground station is fairly close. I can't really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank shnook72
GM_HiltonPrague, Duty Manager at Hilton Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about your stay in our hotel.

I was disappointed to learn about your check-in experience. Would you be so kind and provide me with more details concerning your experience on dutymanager.prague@hilton.com, that I can properly follow up, not to reoccurr in the future?

In regards of the Internet connection, please allow me to mention, that as of January, 2012, the Internet access will become complimentary in all the hotel public areas.

I sincerely hope, that we will be able to welcome you back in the Hilton Prague in the future, as we would very much like the opportunity to prove to you, that your experience was certainly not a reflective of our usual high standards.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed 14 August 2011

If you are looking for a safe bet then this is a good option. Everything is as you would expect in a good Hilton and the breakfast buffet was excellent. It is a 20 minute brisk walk into the old town but there is good public transport available if walking isn't your thing. We stayed here prior to a Danube cruise and it was a nice start.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
GM_HiltonPrague, Duty Manager at Hilton Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you for staying at the HIlton Prague prior to your Danube cruise.

I was delighted to read, that our facilities met your expectations and that you enjoyed the breakfast we serve.

I hope to welcome you back in our hotel in the future.

My Best Regards from the Sunny Prague,

Reviewed 13 August 2011

The location is pretty good, with just a 5 minute walking distance from the metro, and a 15-20 minute walk from the Karluv bridge and the touristic area.
It's a Hilton quality, so there is not much to add about that...

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Dear Madam/Sir,

I was very happy to read your positive feedback about our hotel.

Thank you very much for your stay and I hope to see you back soon.

With My Best Wishes from Prague,