“Just OK”

Ranked #26 of 651 Hotels in Prague
Denver, Colorado
“Just OK”
Reviewed 24 October 2012

The hotel has some very nice public areas and is very clean. The breakfast is great and the desk staff were very helpful. The rooms are in need of an update . The linens and art on the wall as well as the paint colors are outdated and not what you would expect at a 4 star hotel, old and dingy bed spreads. The hotel is a bit far from the sights, although the trams and metro system is amazing and so easy to use in Prague. I also felt the hotel was a bit smoky smelling. They allow cigarette and cigar smoking in the beautful homey lobby and it drifts all over the hotel. I also was a bit put off that they charge extra for the whirlpool and workout area. We had a good stay but next time I would stay elsewhere for the price I paid.

Room Tip: If smoke bothers you this is not your hotel. Many more people smoke in Prague then in the US but fo...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JimCfmDenver
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Dear guests,

first of all I would like to thank you for your stay and your feedback, I appreciate your opinion, that is helpful for us. I am sorry if the old british style did not fit to you. We try to update rooms every year. If our hotel is fully booked, we have to provide also a handicap room. I see that the bathroom in this room does not have to fit to everybody. As a compensation, this room belongs to the largest one at our hotel, except suites. I am sorry about the smoke smell. The lobby is the only area, where it is permitted to smoke (except smoking rooms). Probably there were more smokers at the hotel during your stay. Nevertheless I am sorry.

Anyway, I am happy that breakfast was great and our staff could be helpful to you.

Enjoy the autumn days

Radka Římalová

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 23 October 2012

My wife and I recently returned from a 4 night stay at this excellent hotel. Situated a short tram-stop from the bustle, not too far to walk if you prefer to do that - was the perfect place to return to following a long day of enjoying Prague. Restaurants recommended by the alway friendly staff at the reception proved spot-on, their willingness to assist in every way was welcomed and commendable. Fitness room is simple but ample. All facilities kept in great shape and always clean. Room was comfortable and spacious. Early checkout was made easier by provision of a locker and shower facilities in the basement. Would certainly return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Dear guests,

thank you very much for your 4 nights long stay in our hotel. I do appreciate your review. I am very happy our provided services made your stay comfortable. I hope you return to our hotel early.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2012

If you want a reasonably priced, clean, warm hotel which is just around the corner from the tram stop and only 10-15 mins walk to the Charles' bridge, then this is recommended. If you want help, you couldn't possibly do better than Paul on reception, nothing is too much trouble, and he is a wonderful ambassador for the hotel. We'd emailed before we arrived, having seen recommendations not to be on a lower floor, and asked for a room higher up near the terrace, and were given 501 - an eaves room facing the road, not too noisy, rather strange with a separate area with an enormous desk and a top bunk bed, but it suited us fine as somewhere for a quiet read and catch up before we went out in the evening, and we probably had more space than the usual rooms, and the bed was very comfortable. There are lockers for suitcases and even a shower if you check out and have to wait till leaving, there's someone on reception 24 hours a day, the front door works on a buzzer, so we felt very safe, although Prague itself felt far safer than central London does!

Room Tip: See main comments
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Dear guests,

thank you very much for your stay with us and your time devoted to your review, I do appreciate that!

I am happy you liked the location of our hotel and you felt safe. Thank you for highlighting of Paul at the reception.

We hope we will see you in the future again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 October 2012

The hotel is a bit hidden away and unobtrusive from the street (you have to ring a bell to enter the building). Inside it's a bit dark, but feels homey. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and a good size. There was a safe, amenities, and wi-fi. You can walk to most of the sights (10-15 walk to Prague Castle, slightly longer to the city center), although it is a bit longer than I expected and I wish I'd more often used the public transport system while I was there as there is a tram stop right around the corner from the hotel. The neighborhood is quiet and felt totally safe as I walked home late after watching a soccer/football match at a bar. There are also a number of restaurants close by.

One thing I wasn't a fan of was the hall decor. There was a suit of armor in a nook right next to elevator and the hall is rather dimly lit, so it completely freaked me out as a woman traveling alone to have this dark figure hidden in a corner. I have to say, it was creepy and took a while to get accustomed to!

Breakfast buffet had a good selection, but nothing special. However, I highly recommend the hotel restaurant. One night I was too exhausted to go back out for dinner, so I went there for the convenience and expecting average, overpriced food. I was the only person there that night, so the signs were not great. What a fantastic surprise to find the food was excellent. I had the traditional garlic soup, which I instantly became addicted to and had every chance I could during my trip, none as good as at this place. I also had goose (?) liver with toast, which was also great. The next time I had their goulash, which was also delicious. It was all I could do not to inappropriately start suggesting dishes to diners who came in. The only thing I didn't find outstanding was the tomato and mozzarella salad, which I found a bit bland and too oily. The prices are fair. With drinks, appetizer, and main, it came in around $20-$25 for a person.

I would certainly stay here again and recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Dear traveling woman:-),

thank you so much that you have chosen our hotel for your stay in Prague. I appreciate your time needed for such long review, thank you!

I am happy you felt homey and safe. Although, I am sorry that our armor freaked you out. Actually, the owner of the hotel is passionate collector of historical articles. Anyway, we were startled for the first time as well:-)

I am delighted you enjoyed your dinners at our restaurat.

We are looking forward to your next stay.

Enjoy the autumn.

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I am just back from spending 5 nights here. The location is great. It is in a quiet street just out of the centre. There is a tram stop just round the corner which is 6 stops away from Wenceslas Square with good connections up to the castle. There are some good eating places within a gentle strolling distance. The hotel is well appointed and comfortable. It is very clean. Breakfast is good, I ate in the restaurant which was good and very reasonably priced. The bed was comfortable and everything worked. The roof terrace affords some splendid views over the city and up to the castle.
The staff are magnificent. They are approachable, knowledgable and attentive. They helped me a lot. All really lovely people. Even if everything else had been mediocre I would still have rated the place highly just because of the staff but the whole package was just superb.
This hotel had everything for me. I would certainly go back. I agree pretty much with other positive comments made.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear guests,

first of all I would like to thank you for your long stay with us. I do appreciate your time devoted to this review. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and would come back. Thank you very much for pointing out the hotel staff, It was pleasure of everyone to make your stay comfortable.

You are always welcome here.

Enjoy the autumn.

Northumberland
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I have just returned from a three day break in Prague.. with my husband and another couple. This hotel was just perfect. Lots of character, polite, helpful staff and a relaxed, friendly atmosphere.The location is excellent, only a 15 minute stroll to the centre. We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant the first evening after a long day travelling. The restaurant is more like a bar, however the waitress/barmaid made us feel very welcome and was friedly and chatty. Our first experience of Czech food was gorgeous. Goulash and dumplings which was very welcome indeed!! Bedrooms are absoluteley spotless, bright and modern. Breakfast is delicious, tasty and fresh. Scrambled eggs were loveley, toast and fresh juice in good supply, also cakes, croissants, meats and cheese. We arranged several taxis at reception when dining in the city at night, this was easily done. All in all and excellent stay, we would highly recommend this reasonably priced hotel to anyone staying in this most beautiful city. We all hope to return one day soon.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Dear traveling couples,

thank you that you have chosen our hotel for your stay in Prague. I do appreciate your feedback written here. I am happy our hotel was just perfect for you and your first experience with Czech cuisine at our hotel was gorgeous. Thank you so much for your nice words a recommendation.

I am looking forward to your next stay!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I agree with all the positive comments given by other people. Hotel Julian definitely added to the enjoyment of our few days in Prague. All the staff were friendly and very helpful. Each afternoon we would come back for a rest before going out again and found it very comfortable and relaxing to have tea and cake in the library. We were soon refreshed and ready to do some more exploring.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Dear guests,

thank you very much for your stay with us and your nice review, I do appreciate that! I am happy you agree with other positive reviews and that we could have contributed to your comfortable holiday in Prague. You are always welcome here!