“Very enjoyable stay”

Ranked #26 of 650 Hotels in Prague
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

On our first visit to Prague we were very impressed by the standard of the hotel. You sometimes wonder what you are going to find having picked one off the internet but I have to say it exceeded our expectations. Right from the off when we were met at the airport by the hotel driver (good service!) everything was pretty faultless. The hotel was spotlessly clean, the rooms had everything you required and were of a good size. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful (posted our postcards for us, sold us tram tickets and lent us an umbrella when it rained). The location of the hotel was very good. It was far enough away from the centre and all the crowds to make it a reasonable price but close enough to everywhere to walk (at least for us). However there are tram stops very close by for the less able (ahhhh fond memories of the dear old 22). We ate in the hotel restaurant the first night and it was very good. The setting down in the basement was very cosy and nicely decorated which gave it a good atmosphere. In fact the the whole hotel was decorated very well with lots of nice touches like suits of armour and old sowing machines and other nick nacks that were interesting to look at. Now we have to talk about breakfast. Brilliant. Something there for everyone and plenty of it. Large choice of items and always being replenished by the ever attentive staff. Couldn't fault it.
The only two things I could pick up on are that, for me, the mattress was a little too firm, and that our room was at the front of the hotel and although it is set on a fairly quiet street, Prague traffic does seem to start fairly early in the morning on weekdays and we were woken once or twice. However these are very minor points and I would not suggest that they put anyone off.
If ever we return to Prague it's the Julian for us.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear guests,

thank you very much for your stay with us and that you took time to write such long review, I do appreciate that! I am happy you liked location, decoration as well as provided services. I am sorry if the mattress was to firm for you. Just give us a notice to your reservation that you prefer the softer one next time:-).

I am happy you would come again and hope it will be soon.

Enjoy traveling as much as possible.

Radka Římalová

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This small hotel is only a 10 minute walk from the Charles Bridge and from across there to loads of the other sights of Prague. The staff are excellent and absolutely nothing is too much trouble, I cannot praise them enough, and that's all of them! We ate in the dining room one night of our stay and the meal was delicious and very reasonably priced. The room was excellent as were all the amenities. If I go back to Prague, would most definitely think about staying there again. There were Americans in the hotel while we were there and overheard them saying that it was one of the nicest hotels that they had stayed in while in Europe!

Room Tip: We had room 104 which although fine, was facing the back. Perhaps Rooms 105 or 106 would be better.
1 Thank moira s
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Dear guests,

thank you very much for your stay with us and your nice review. Thank you for your praise for our hotel and staff, everybody is very delighted while reading that, such nice words are the best appreciation for our work. I am happy you enjoyed your dinner at our restaurant.

You are always welcome here. Hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

A lovely little hotel only 10 minute walk from the Charles bridge and all the sights. Friendly staff and very helpful. Tram stop right outside the door which gets you anywhere in the city. Only just over £1 for a 90 minute ticket.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear guests,

thank you that you have chosen hotel Julian for your stay in Prague. I appreciate you took time to write a review, thank you. I am happy you liked our hotel and hope to welcome you here again!

Enjoy next opportunities for traveling.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Prague is a beautiful City and I would recommend this Hotel. However, I would like to explain the reasons I did not award it 5 Stars:-
There was approx 10 hangers in our wardrobe which I don't personally think are enough for 2 people, So I asked if I could have some more at the Reception Desk. Although very nice, he started to say he had to check if there were any empty rooms he could get some from. He asked how many I would like and when I replied '6' he seemed extremely shocked and said 'how many clothes do you have?' I replied 'Ok make it 4 or don't worry I'll manage'. So he said he would try but we never received any.
We were told that breakfast was served until 10.30 am. We overslept on our first morning and arrived for breakfast at 10.15 am. There was a waitress sorting something but no guests. I said (out of sheer politeness). 'are we still ok for breakfast?' and she looked slightly unhappy as she replied '5 minutes'. We then felt under pressure to rush. Also, by the end of our stay, I got slightly fed up with breakfast things constantly running out eg juice, scrambled eggs, etc. I felt we were forever saying 'Please can we have.......' One morning I asked for some scrambled eggs and the waitress looked slightly dismayed and replied 'Ok it will take 6 minutes'. Where did 6 minutes come from?
I mention these 'negatives' as I feel for a 4 star hotel these things should not happen and I hope it will be taken as constructive criticism.
I've got to say that everything else to do with our stay was excellent and if it hadn't been for the above I would of awarded 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear guests,

first of all I would like to thank you for your stay with us during your trip to Prague and your comments written here, that are definitely helpful for us.

I would like to explain your experiences during breakfast. The waitress remembers this situation and was not unhappy when you came at 10.15, trust me, she was only confused because she did not know the exact time, so I am sorry for this misunderstanding. We always prepare all items served during breakfast fresh. Therefore the waitress replied that it took 6 minutes to scramble some extra eggs. Finally she served the eggs to you on plate together with some vegetable and asked if everything were ok and hoped it was. I am sorry if this waiting was bothering for you, we are trying to do our best and as I already wrote, to prepare everything fresh. When it comes to the issue with hangers, I am very sorry for my colleague, he probably tried to be funny, but it was not objective, I agree as well. It should never happen that the extra hangers have not been delivered to your room, I am deeply sorry for that.

Nevertheless, I am happy you liked Prague and would recommend our hotel.

I hope to welcome you again, we will do our best to gain 5 stars:-)

Have nice sunny days.

New York
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We just stayed for 5 nights at Hotel Julian and were completely pleased with the experience. I was a little concerned about the location but turned out to be perfect. Tram just around the corner and as easy walk to the old section. Lots of great local restaurants within 5 minutes to choose from. But we really enjoyed our last night's dinner up on the roof. We were too comfortable to leave the roof on a beautiful evening and were thrilled to learn they would just bring our dinner to us. Like private dining room. I wouldn't hesitate to return to Hotel Julian.

Dear guests,

thank you very much for your long stay with us during your trip to Prague. I appreciate your feedback written here, thank you!

I am happy you enjoyed your stay, especially your dinner at our summer terrace.

Hope to welcome you soon again!

Enjoy the sun and hope that lot of traveling.

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 9 May 2013

First trip tp Prague, it was recommended by an old High School chum who visited in 2011 and compared this city to Paris, a personal favorite, we had to try it and report him to be absolutely right! We loved this Hotel, the staff, the unbelievable breakfast, and the roominess for a Boutique Hotel. Our room #305; note this room size was the largest we've found in Europe for sheer size, storage and closet space. The room featured a queen bed, very comfortable, immaculate tiled bath, tub/over shower, in-room ref, with mini-bar set-up, reasonable snak & drink prices, and a dressing/ desk area. The Hotel has a wonderful basement Bar/Restaurant and a 4th floor roof top Terrace were we took "Bohemia Selk Demi Sec"( Czech version of Prosecco, Cava ) sipped to the view of the Castle. We booked 8 nites here, broke up the trip with an over night stay in Chesky Krumlov, nice break mid-week, see review Hotel Kovice. Stay- ing here for a week was worth every moment, the city wide Tram is a very short walk, we used it every day; going to all 4 towns in this Spectacular City. Loved 80 Euro Romance/Valet pkg!

Room Tip: The 80 Euro Airport pick up and delivery package was the frosting on the Wedding Cake of our Anniver...
Dear guests,

thank you very much that you have chosen our hotel for your first trip to Prague. Thank you very much for your nice words written here, I do appreciate that! I am happy you liked the room 305, anyway, that room belongs to the best one:-). That is great you enjoyed our summer terrace. Good idea to make a trip to Český Krumlov, I am happy you liked it.

Thank you very much for your nice review again, such praise is the best recognition for us.

You are always welcome here!

Kotka, Finland
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in the end of april. Everything was to our satisfactory. Super service, nice quiet room towards the yard as requested.The bathroom with shower was fine and clean.
The breakfast was tasty with plenty too choose from. We visited the nice terrace everyday before exploring the city. We also had sauna one afternoon, which was very relaxing. The only small complaint was that we had to throw water "löyly" in finnish, onthe stones with plastic mugs.
Location was good. We walked everywhere. The hoteldriver mr. Beranek was prima!
We can warmly recommend this hotel to our friends!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guests,

thank you very much for your three nights long holiday spent with us. I appreciate your review, thank you. I am very glad that everything was to your satisfactory. Unfortunately I am not sure what you mean by your small complaint, so I am very sorry I am not able to comment on that:(

Thank you for your recommendation and hope to welcome you here again!

Enjoy the sunny days.