“loved this hotel”
Review of Hotel Julian

Hotel Julian
Ranked #24 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 18 June 2006

my wife and I visited Prague for the first time and had a wonderful four night stay at the Julian. We were met at the airport by a driver from prague 123 (private car transfers) and it felt luxurious to be met and taken to the hotel in this way. The Julian is a delightful hotel with many thoughtful extras provided without charge (inc the loan of brollies and even reading glasses if you forget yours). The room we were given was spacious and comfortable. The breakfasts were more than adequate and the all-morning free coffee and cakes provided in the library room were a nice touch. The restaurant and bar is a lovely converted cellar and the prices were amazing for a hotel - worth a visit one night (and room service is at no extra charge). The staff were all friendly and helpful.

We intended using the trams but found that everywhere was walkable for us and we didn't use public transport at all. Prague is pretty compact and the walk across the river to the old town square took about fifteen to twenty minutes at a leisurely pace.

If you go across the river and head right you will see the 'dancing house' building. Carry on to the right for a further ten minutes by the river and you will come to some steps leading up to the national monument. The views from all four sides at the top give a spectacular and different view of Prague. It is well worth the effort and the lavish tombstones in the graveyard and the basilica of St Peter and Paul are well worth a visit.

On the walk back, we walked about two streets in from the river and came to some shops that were very reasonable. We also stopped for a pizza and a drink and here I found the legendary pilsner at only 50p a pint ( a lot of other places outside the busy tourist areas were about 75p).

The little bar immediately next door to the Julian is a good little place for a night-cap and the prices were amazing.

Also worth a visit for those young at hear is the Wigwam bar. This is across the road from the hotel, walk to the left for a few yards and then turn right. Two blocks down turn left and you will see it at the next corner. Trendy little place with good food and great prices.

Left from the hotel takes you past a nice fountain and to the left is the funicular railway to the Petrin Tower (although we saw a notice saying the funicular was closing for a month or two for service and repairs). The Petrin Tower is well worth a visit (even if you have to walk up) for some spectacular views across the river and the walk from there to the castle is a must.

We loved Prague and we loved the Julian.

13  Thank PeterLeedsUK

Reviewed 18 June 2006

After looking at the reviews on trip advior we decided to book this hotel for our mid week break to Prague and we were so pleased that we did.It is just out of the centre but still in a nice spot.Our standard room was plenty big enough and immaculately clean with tea and coffee making facilities too.The reception area has all the information leaflets you might need and the staff are very friendly and helpful.There is a beautiful library area to sit and relax after your days sightseeing also.The breakfast has a superb selection of food to start your day and caters for all tastes.We ate one of our evening meals in the hotel restaurant and would highly recommend you eat at least once there,its not a huge choice but beautifully cooked and excellent value for money.We had a 4 course meal and a bottle of sparkling wine for £20.The walk into the centre is really easy and takes about 15 to 20 minutes to reach the Charles Bridge.You can walk along the road next to the tram lines or drop down a couple of streets and walk along by the river.For the less mobile there is a tram stop just at the back of the hotel so its all very easy.We also used the hotel taxi service from and back to the airport which we also highly recommend.Prague is easily one of the most beautiful cities we have ever visited with so much to see and do and would definately go back.Also try and go during the week to miss out the English invasion of stag and hen parties at the weekend who dis respect the city and the people the minute they step off the plane,which is now unfortunately the English way of doing things.Enjoy your midweek breaks,we did and will be going back.

11  Thank Robjoy
A TripAdvisor Member
Bicknoller, Somerset, England
Reviewed 10 June 2006

We stayed in this hotel after reading excellent reviews in Trip Adviser.

The hotel was very clean, the room was a generous size, the breakfast buffet was excellent, the staff were very friendly. What more can I say?

There is a tram stop about 50 yards from the door, and we rarely had to wait more that one or two minutes for trams to wherever we wanted to go in the city.

The hotel was very reasonably priced and I give it top marks in every respect.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 June 2006

I stayed at the Hotel Julian for two nights on a trip to visit my daughter in Prague. My plane arrived at the airport just before 9 am (Czech time). I was met by a driver arranged by the hotel, and arrived at the Hotel Julian at approximately 10 am (the car cost 700 crowns, which seems to be in the middle of the prices that I've seen. After traveling for 15 hours, it is more than worth it). Even though it was hours before the official check-in time, the staff checked me in to my room directly (very much appreciated) without my asking.

As I was staying by myself, I had a single room. It was very small -- but felt cozy, rather than cramped. It was immaculately clean, with two large skylights serving as windows. I found it very appealing.

The breakfast is served in a separate room off of the lobby -- with a very nice array of foods attractively presented - scrambled eggs and a variety of meat and sausage; several kinds of cereal; fresh fruit and juices as well as both breads for toasting and sweet breads; cheeses, sliced meats, cucumbers and tomatoes. Coffee or tea was served at the table in freshly prepared carafes.

I was able to purchase a short term travel pass at the desk which tided me over until I was able to buy a longer-term pass (If you are going to stay for more than a week, I would simply buy a 15-day pass -- it looks to be the best value -- the only catch is that you can't buy the pass at all metro stops). BTW, I found the desk staff to be both friendly and accommodating.

The hotel is technically in the Smichov neighborhood (directly south of Mala Strana) -- but this is misleading, as Prague is fairly compact -- it would be fair to also describe this as Mala Strana -- as one block places you in this small neighborhood.

I've visited Prague before, so I was interested in staying on the Mala Strana side of the river for a change of pace. Frankly, even though some of the "best" hotels are directly in Old Town (Stare Mesto) or New Town (Nove Mesto) -- I can't imagine wanting to stay there -- much too busy, with crowds of tourists. I find it to be much more pleasant to stay in a location convenient to the center, but not directly within the center (I've previously stayed at the Tulip Inn Prague Terminus -- again, a very good experience -- this just outside of Stare Mesto). In two trips to Prague (both involving a significant amount of walking, metro and tram travel) -- I've never felt unsafe when coming to or from my hotel.

Prague is made for walking -- so I can't imagine anyone seeing this as "too far" -- a one block walk brings you to any number of tram connections that will take you just about anywhere. One block also brings you to the edge of Mala Strana (and Mala Strana is just not that large) -- four or so blocks brings you up to the Charles Bridge (or you could cross over the bridge just south of the Charles located only one block from the hotel). One block also brings you to the base of Petrin Hill (one of the largest parks in Prague). In other words, the hotel is in easy walking distance to many sights. If you can't walk from the hotel, you can certainly catch a tram to where you want to go (or walk to the metro station, also conveniently close). I frankly think that if you just stay in Stare Mesto and don't venture out to the other neighborhoods (for example, Vishrehad) -- you've missed a lot of what makes Prague charming and unique.

This is not a "Holiday Inn" type hotel -- my guess is that each room is somewhat uniquely configured -- and certainly my single was much smaller than a "typical" hotel room. However, I found this to be very charming -- I had all of the amenities within my space. The size of the hotel is very appealing -- not so small that you feel uncomfortable (sometimes B and B's get just a little too personal for me :)) -- but neither is it so large that it feels impersonal. It is just a good small hotel. I would happily stay here again.

There are a number of restaurants within walking/tram distance. I ate cheaply but well. Some suggestions (with the caveat that I am vegetarian, and have, as I've aged, moved away from multi-course expensive meals) -- Cantina (a good Mexican restaurant located just up the street from the hotel (on the right when heading into Mala Strana); Pizzeria Grosseta (nice Italian -- don't let the "Pizzeria" turn you off -- the atmosphere is very nice) -- just off Nameste Miru in Vinohrady (and reached by the 22 tram from the hotel). A couple blocks away from Nemeste Miru (on Belgicka Street) is a funky coffeehouse/light food/bar named Meduza -- populated with students, etc. Nice atmosphere, cheap but good food.

If you want to be on the other side of the river, I would also recommend the Tulip Inn Prague Terminus. The outside of the hotel is not at all impressive, nor is its location picturesque (on Hyrbinska (sp?)) -- but it had lovely rooms with tall ceilings and newly-refurbished bathrooms -- all within two-three blocks of the Old Town Square. Again, a good buy.

11  Thank horse2hound4
Reviewed 6 June 2006

I have stayed here 3 night with my girlfriend. It is a clean, quite friendly a little out of the city center 3 star hotel. The only negative side is that it is too expensive for 3 stars. (125 euro a night). For 50 Euro more you can stay IN the city center in a 5 star with a real 5 star breakfast. Rooms are quite big and clean , bed is a little too hard but if you have walked the whole day you won't mind. Would probably pay a little more next time for the real deal !!

7  Thank Netherlands
Reviewed 2 June 2006

Others have said similar comments. Good hotel, not the most comfortable, not the best location but decent wtih good staff, good breakfast. It is away from the city center - the title is a little misleading but easy to take the tram or a 15 minute walk. I looked online and other more centrally located hotels were a lot more expensive. I felt safe and it was quite so all-in-all not a bad deal.

5  Thank EduardTravels
A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2006

My husband and I just returned from staying 4 nights at Hotel Julian. It’s a great hotel with very friendly and helpful English speaking staff at the front desk. Everything was great - the room and bathroom were very clean and there was even a kettle to make tea or coffee which was nice to have at the end of a very tiring day.

One morning I was too much in a hurry to get the tour bus and I inadvertently left my knapsack in the lobby. The receptionist had seen it and kept it for me until I returned.

The location is ideal – a 15 minute walk across the bridge will get you to Old Town Square and Wenceslas Square.

By the way, we arranged with the hotel to be picked up at the airport which worked out great and would definitely recommend – no hassles about which taxi to use at airport etc.

We would absolutely stay there again.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member