“Basic, clean and close to the park” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Mala Strana

Hotel Mala Strana
Ranked #218 of 670 Hotels in Prague
London, United Kingdom
“Basic, clean and close to the park”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was quiet as it was off the Main Street, but was then quite dark. The high ceilings are typical of these older buildings. The room was clean. The hotel is close to the park and once you get to the top of the hill and along the way there are great views of the city.

Room Tip: The weather was good but not hot. There is no air conditioning, which could be a problem in the hot...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank royparrott
Elena_Sartori, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Mala Strana, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you for sharing your feedbacks with the Tripadvisor community!
I am glad to read you had a nice stay and you found our staff helpful and kind. The Hotel Residence Mala Strana is a good solution for a stay out of the crowd but still in the immediate vicinity of the centre: Petrin Garden are 5 minutes walking and Charles Bridge two tram stops away or about 15 min walking.
On behalf of the staff of the Hotel Residence Mala Strana, we invite you once more to come anbd visit us in the not too far future.
Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sunderland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Generally good value, but the problem I had was the fact that the hotel has no air conditioning, and at this moment Prague is in a heat wave. The apartment (spacious) was fine, but I had to borrow a fan, and even then it was extremely warm - too warm. You would think that some form of cooling system would be in every hotel during Prague summers, but not here.
Never mind, the breakfast was excellent, with hot food as well as the usual cold offerings, but another little niggle - why no butter? Only margerine was available. The hotel advertised metro tickets from Reception - forget it, they have none, and offering a bar is a bit of a misnomer as the bar counter did not look as if it had traded for some time.
Yes, I am a little critical, particularly over the lack of aircon, but the price I paid was very reasonable, and the hotel is easily accessible if you know the public transport system. There is a bar/restaurant 50m away, so I will probably stay here again, though when it's a bit cooler!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SunderlandMackem
Elena_Sartori, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Mala Strana, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
thank you for sharing your recent experience in our Hotel Residence Mala Strana.
I am glad to read you evaluated the hotel as a good value one. I am very sorry you faced misleading information about the hotel: we do not provide transport tickets at the hotel yet - we are considering introducing it soon, though, accoridng to the requests of our guests.
Prague has been hit by very high and unsual temperatures in the last weeks and we do sincerely apologize if the fans we have at disposal were not enough to bit the heat wave.
I am delighted you appreciated overall the breakfast, we have been lately making some changes in the offer in order to study the taste of our guests and differ the offer itself. We will take your opinions and comments into conisderations for eventual future improvements.
On behald of all of us, we are looking forward to welcoming you soon. If you wish to visit Prague in a cooler month, I suggest you not to miss Prague during Christmas time, absolutely stunning!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed here for four nights to visit friends on our return to Prague having previously lived in Prague for four years!

The room we had was huge and was very relaxing.The beds were vey comfortable ! Another great plus point was the staff who were particularly courteous and attentive.Julie in particular was excellent and should be awarded a medal for Customer Service.I say this in all seriousness as the Czechs , in all our years living there, have very poor customer service .Refreshingly this is not the case here!

I noted a couple of comments about not being in the Old Town but honestly you can walk quite easily there or take a tram which is just around the corner.it is very handy for walking to Kampa Island, Malostanska And Charles Bridge as well as Novy Smichov Shopping centre the other way.

Breakfast was simple but plentiful and set you up for the day!
There are some great eateries nearby with the Hunger Wall cafe, Mad Bar and Artisan Restaurant very nearby...early morning rising may like to walk through the Kinsky Gardens and up to Petrin Hill to get the gret views of the beauty of the city.These are about a five minute walk.

All in all we would definately recommend this Hotel especially the service which you will find can be non existent in other places in Prague

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank VinnyHar
Elena_Sartori, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Mala Strana, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
what a very lovely review! It is very rewarding for us to read such nice and sincere feedbacks.
I am very delighted to know that we were hosting you in Prague after you were living here. Prague is a city of immense beauty.
I am very glad that you found our Hotel Residence Mala Strana a comfortable solution for your needs.
It is extremely appreciated the feedbacks about the customer service and I will forward your words especially to Julie.
On behalf of all of us, we are lookinmg forward to welcoming you again to your next visit to the Golden City.
Kuwait City, Kuwait
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Mala Strana Hotel is a very well located in Prague to see the sights. The price is quite good. The rooms are a good size. The breakfast is good. The day clerk Julie was very helpful. However, as with any hotel in any city, be aware of your room security. On June 14, my wife and I went out to see Charles Bridge at sunrise. We came back to the hotel at about 6 AM. A man followed us into the hotel and went into the lobby bathroom. We went to our room and went back to bed. The carpet in the room by the door was raised up a bit making it a difficult to close the door without slamming it. We did not close the door fully and at about 6:45 someone came into our room while we sleeping. My wife woke up enough to say something and the person grabbed my pants with my wallet, our camera and a small back pack. We spent the rest of the morning with the police.
When I sent an email to the hotel management, I encouraged them to put chains on the doors, automatic doors closers that shut the door firmly and a security camera in the lobby as the night clerk said he did not see a man follow us into the hotel.
We were happy with this hotel, and this experience could have happened to us at any hotel in any city in the world. Just be aware of room security at this hotel. I have also attached the e-mail message from the hotel.

Dear Mr & Mrs. Brown,

as promised I was in contact with the Hotel Manager Mrs Monika Nycova and the receptionits that was in duty that night/day.

I have received from them full explanation about the matter and first of all I would like to extend you our sincere apologies if you had the feeling that we did not do enough in assisting you and I am forwarding you the apologies from Mrs Nycova in person.

We have a fix practise in dealing with these cases: police must be called striaght away and they will make all the relevant questions and surveys. Mrs Nycova assured me that she was taking the case very deeply and she was checking the rooms herself and with the housekeeping staff, the receptionist was asked if he saw anyone coming or leaving the hotel apart from you around that time. As you understand it was early morning and there is no much movements in the hotel, the receptionist states that he saw just you leaving and coming back to the hotel, and no one else.

As per practise the Hotel Manager has access toi the machina which is reading the door opening.No one else open/close the door in the time lapse, of course if the door was left open we cannot be responsible for it as we are not responsible for any valuables store in the room out of the safe deposit box. All we can do is to contact the police to make an official statement of what happened.

As far as I know, the receptionist on duty during the day - Ms Julie- asked me personally what we could do for you in order to reach the airport and I suggested her to pay for you the public transportation to the airport. She assured me that she offered you it, therefore please once more accept our apologies if this information did not reach you in time.

Thank you for the consideratiion abourt safety in our hotel, we never had serious episodes happening inside the areas of the hotel and it saddens me to hear that it happened to you. It is not a plesant experience and I hope this detail of your trip will not ruin the memories of this beautiful city.

Thank you for the attention and please do not hesitate to contact me at your convenience to discuss any further detail in the matter.

PS. I hope you could consider our Hotel Residence Mala Strana again an for this reason I would like to invite you to visit us again in the next 12 months - in order to do this I give you this special promo code which will give you access to special discounts for your next stays in our hotel. The promo code can be redeemed only through our website www.garzottohotels.cz. It will be our pleasure to prove you our professionality and quality once more.

Elena Sartori

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Elena_Sartori, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Mala Strana, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
thank you for your review.
As per your review posted, we were in contact to discuss the matter in a private way. I am very sorry that our explanation was not sufficient to you. As I was already informing you, most of the time it is a matter of common sense, all rooms are provided with safe deposit box where to store valuables and documents. All items which are not in the deposit box are not under our responsability, if something happen. The receptionist has been warned to pay more and more attention to any person entering the hotel in order to avoid any similar situation. What we can do is to advise our guests to store all personal things, documents and any valuable in the safe deposit box as a precautional act.
We would like to re-assure at the same time future guests that all doors can be open only with a smart card which is personal and any entrance can be checked through a special machine, besides, the reception is open 24/7 and all people entering the hotel will be more carefully checked.
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and I hope you will still consider our Hotel for a future trip to Prague.
For future guests, do not hesitate to contact us for any further information or reassurement.
Thank you for the attention and kind regards,

Elena Sartori
Public Relations Manager
public.relations@ghotels.cz
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Location - Very Good, however if you are here as tourist for short duration I would recommend you to stay in Old Town Square or close to it as most of the action happens there and is much more tourist related destination as compared to on this side of the river.

Hotel Experience – Average. It’s in dire need for refurbishment as its furniture is wearing off and room feels outdated.

Starting from Check-in, poor customer first thinking, I had informed of early arrival from a long flight and we reached there by 10 am. The hotel had the room available as well which the receptionist confirmed however the cleaning staff follows routine of first clearing the breakfast area and then rooms so they made us wait 2 hours before the room could be cleaned and given. So in that sense not attending to customer when possible and just following normal routine does not count high on my list.

The main reason for us going for this hotel was kitchenette due to our 5 year old son however to our unpleasant surprise the room had just one hot plate with not a single utensil for cooking. I had to ask for utensils and it seemed they were ill prepared. The receptionist took me to luggage room and there badly kept were some utensils however not even a frying pan was available, so what I got was an extra-large bowl and a spatula and that’s it, so hence a poor rating once again in my review.

Breakfast was ordinary, no fresh fruits, no croissants but had basic other European breakfast offering, hence acceptable for couple of days.

If you are staying at this place the location is quite good Újezd is the tram station just 500 meters away from the hotel from where you can get tram for three main locations – Prague Castle (one change involved), Petrin Hill (Vernacular tram) starts from here only however the tram station is above the park area near the tram stations & then if you need to go to old town square as well you get tram from here.

Overall I would not recommend staying at this hotel till it gets renovated and hotel management probably needs to be outsourced to a professional company to handle the affairs.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Elena_Sartori, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Mala Strana, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
first all thank you for spending your time in writing such a detailed review about your experience in our Hotel Residence Mala Strana, I am sure that other travelers will find the information useful.
I would like just to focus on few points that might be of intereste for the future guests.
Hotel Residence Mala Strana is located in a very convenient location walking distance to many attractions but still in a quiet lateral street. Tram connections are optimal and trams run very oftern connecting to you to any side of the city.
Some of the rooms are equipped with kitchenette and electric kettle, we have at disposal some kitchen equipment according to the availability. It might be probably happen that at that moment we did not have enough utensils for your use, we will definetely take care of it soon.
I would like to extend my apologies for the lack of organization and communication regarding the early check in: we try to meet all guests´requests if possible and I do truly apology if despite the availability the early check in became an "unconfortable" situation. it will be our first priority to improve this side of the customer service in order to guarantee a smooth welcome and check in to future guests.
I am glad that you still consider our hotel a good choice and recommendable.
On behalf of all the staff, we would like to thank you and we are looking forward to welcoming you back any time soon to prove our quality and improvements.
Best regards,
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

The Hotel Residence Mala Strana's main advantage is it's location. It is in the heart of Prague and is perfectly located to enable you to explore the city. It is a typical Czech hotel in a beautiful periodic building. The room itself was basic but comfortable, especially as we wanted to explore the city rather than remaining in the room. The breakfast was lovely and there was lots of choice. The staff on reception were helpful (ordering taxi's, providing guidance on the city, and even offering alcohol!). All in all we were very pleased with the service received and the room itself. Oh and there is a lovely little Czech bar around the corner open tip late which is cheap!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sheffield_solicitor
Elena_Sartori, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Mala Strana, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Valued Guests,
thank you very much for posting your feedbacks about your stay in Prague and in our Hotel Residence Mala Strana!
It is a lovely review and we are so much appreciating it. It is very rewarding for us to read that the hotel was a good choice for you and you found it in a convenient position to stroll around the city.
I will forward your review to all the staff and I am sure they will all be very happy and thankful for your nice words.
On behalf of all of us, we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

The rooms are very comfortable for the price. It's located in a very nice area. Parking is a but hard but if you mention it to the receptions desk they will assist you. Mrs. Julia was the one who helped us and she made this trip worth a long lasting one.
Breakfast was included and so was the WIFI. Check out is at 1200 noon. Enjoy your stay at this recommended hotel.

They also speak very well English and always have a smile.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Elena_Sartori, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Mala Strana, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
what a lovely review! Thank you very much for sharing your feedbacks with us.
I am very delighted you had a pleasant stay with us and I am very happy to read that our staff - and mostly Julie - were helpful and were assisting you all over your stay. We know how important is the customer service and we always try to give our best and help our guests to have a non-stress stay in this beautiful and charming city.
Thank you once more and on behalf of all of us, we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.