“An amazing Hotel!!”

Archibald At the Charles Bridge
Ranked #54 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Now you have found the Hotel just book it! It is wonderful, everywhere is clean, the staff are lovely, the rooms are huge, although bathrooms are a bit small. the Hotel is right in the middle of all the attractions, and they are all within walking distance. Prague is very easy to get around. Try the 2 day hop on hop off bus, which you will find them stood in the old town square with a red umbrella. the food is lovely in Prague, our favourite was a static boat on the bridge just up from charles Bridge, it serves lovely pasta and chocolate pudding as well as specialities. Make sure you book a transfer from the airport, it was well worth it. I booked with ?Travel republique and got a good deal. Prague Castle is a must see. It was lovely being so close to the charles Bridge you got to walk along it every night and see the beautiful castle all lit up, it's fairytale land!!

Room Tip: We had room 19, it has a big lounge and is a twin room. room 8 has a balcony!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
petra050, Manager at Archibald At the Charles Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear Guests,
first of all I would like to Thank you very much for your stay in Archibald hotel and for your lovely words written about us... I am happy that you enjoyed a few days in Prague and that we met your expectations. It´s very important for me to read that our guests mention also our polite staff and cleanliness of rooms as well, I really appreciate it and it´s always nice to read it! Thanks.
With best regards to Somerset,
Petra Sudlikova

Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Could not have asked for a better location, situated on Kampa Island directly under Charles Bridge- ideal location for all attractions. The Archibald sits in the quieter area of Prague in a tree lined avenue, leading into a lovely park. We had 4 nights in March in Room 8, and son & partner had room 10, both with River View & Room 8 having a balcony, the weather(17/20 deg over the 4 days), the hotel, the staff and the Czech people just made the trip. Breakfast was good quality and had a great selection - from eggs, sausage, bacon, pastries, breads, hams, cheeses, yoghurt & fresh fruit and there was no restriction on how many times you went back. set us up for the day's walking!! Rooms were large, good amenities, well stocked mini-bar with snacks & bottle opener. Safe provided with a 500 cz deposit, fully refundable on completion of use. However, I must add that it's such a safe area/hotel probably wasn't needed. Hotel was spotlessly clean throughout and the domestic staff were very thorough. Large comfy beds, linen/towels changed daily, hairdryer & complimentary toiletries provided. Free wifi and the use of an iPad if required. Special mention to Ondrej, who was very pleasant, polite and extremely helpul, who spoke excellent English; nothing was too much trouble for him, He even carried 4 heavy suitcases up to our rooms. Lots of lovely little bars and restuarants surrounding the hotel area. The John Lennon wall is a 2 minute walk from the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel for your trip to Prague. Will be returning to The Archibald as there is still so much we would like to see and do. Thanks to all at The Archibald for making our trip so enjoyable!!!!

Room Tip: River View is a must!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
petra050, Manager at Archibald At the Charles Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear Guests,
on behalf of Archibald hotel and staff I would like to Thank you so much for your stay with us and for your time taking to write this more then nice review - I am truly happy that you had a pleasant stay here and that you were satisfied with everything from start to finish - all comments are very important for us and feedback like this is also the best motivation for our next work. It will be pleasure for me to share your compliments with Ondrej as well...I really appreciate your recommendation and of course we´ll be glad to welcome you here in future.

Best regards from Prague to North Yorkshire,

Reviewed 25 March 2012

This place was absolutely amazing from start to finish! The loft on the top floor was amazing with a fantastic view over the river & Charles Bridge. if you are a fan of the Mission Impossible Movie from 1996, you will instantly recognize the back & side of the building and the court yard out the front from scenes in the movie. It is so close to everything that is needed to get around Prague and the city centre is just a 20 minute walk over the Charles Bridge. I thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Prague! The breakfast was also amazing with a great choice of items.

Room Tip: Ask for a loft at the top of the hotel facing the river!

Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for your stay in our hotel and for your nice words written about it. It´s a pleasure for me to read that you were satisfied with room, location and breakfast as well.
I hope that you spent a memorable time in Prague and you´ll come back in future...

With sincerely regards to Brisbane,

Reviewed 24 March 2012

Cons: So, I stayed there from 22-24 March 2012 and thought the hotel itself was great. The hotel is in a good location, it is clean and historic. However, I ran into several issues that you may find helpful in making your decision to stay at the Archibald Hotel at Charles Bridge. Check-in, I was greeted with a VERY rude front desk staff (I think his name was Eduard; not sure). He sighed and groaned as I was asking numerous questions about parking, banking facilities for exchanging money, etc... Blatant disrespect...he even walked away from me while I was speaking to help another guest. There are only a few parking spots at the hotel itself and you must reserve well in advance.
I was forced to drive 15 minutes away to park my car and the hotel clerk told me to ask another hotel in the parking area for details since he "didn't know". Once we found the parking lot (not easy at all), I had to pay for parking at a rate of 18Euro/$25 a day and the hotel would not validate my parking. Don't forget, you have to walk back to the hotel (walk is shorter distance though).
IMPORTANT: Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday the Dance club/disco 200 meters across the river starts playing the LOUDEST music you have ever heard at 12am and goes until 5am. The music carries across the water and directly into your room. I am not exaggerating at all!!!! I woke up and went to the front desk asking for a different room but was unsuccessful. Additionally, both hotel clerks told me that changing rooms would not help because “the music can be heard in all the rooms”. This quote was taken directly from two different hotel workers. Needless to say, I could not sleep from 12am-5am!!
There is free breakfast but it is mediocre at best; the orange juice is some sort of powder mixture, I think, and taste like TANG; or it is so watered down it taste like orange flavored Kool-Aid. The pastries are dry, rubbery and lack flavor!! The cereal is ok though........
If you a looking for peace and quiet GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! If you want to party all night or you do not plan on being in the room from 12am-5am, then this is the place for you.
I asked the hotel staff for a refund from my Friday night that was filled with 12am-5am music, but I was denied. My lack of sleep at about $175/night was worth a 20% discount instead of getting a free night!
Pros: good location, dinner in the hotel was actually pretty good, character of the hotel, front desk clerk Ondrej who helped us very much.
Warnings: Young waiter at a local restaurant showed me 2 separate figures to pay for my dinner. One figure was on the actual receipt and the other was from his calculator. The calculator number was 10% higher and he told me this is Czech rule that customers had to pay a 10% minima in tips. I told him that was not a real rule and very quickly he became very upset and rude towards me like he had experienced this before. He argued with me for 5 minutes telling me this was the only way I could leave the restaurant if I paid the so-called "tip" (maybe he thought I was born yesterday). I told him no!! Do not let these people bully you into paying a "fee/tip" for service. If the service is good then tip, if it sucks then leave without giving anything extra and remember there is no rule that you MUST pay any tip!! (I mention this because I read the same incident from a comment in a Rick Steve’s “warnings post”)

I will go to Prague again, but the next time I will pick a location up on the hill near the Palace and well away from the night clubs in old town (this is a busy and crowded place and bars/clubs everywhere in old town). The hotels on the hill near the palace are very beautiful and location is just as great and much more quite.

Hope this helps!

Bryan

Room Tip: Do not be lured in by the river front rooms; this is the side the night club is on and the music wil...
6  Thank Bryan J
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Didn't love getting overcharged at the end. We are working on the correction and I expect it will get straightened out.

We opted for a view room and it was huge. It was a third floor walk up, tho. Everyone spoke English and was very helpful. The location at the quiet side of the Bridge was perfect. I would return to this hotel just for the Honey Cake and delicious breakfast, but the rest was just what we wanted as well.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

We had a fantastic 3 night stay here in Jan '12 after booking it based on TripAdvisor reviews. The hotel and rooms were just charming and the location was so close to Charles Bridge yet very quiet, just what we had been looking for. Getting around Prague is very easy on foot and the hotel is brilliantly situated for seeing the town. Just up the road were plenty of restaurants and shops (the souvenirs are great and we bought far too much).
Although very much a walking city, Prague Castle was within easy reach by bus and we also caught the metro a few times. Night walks back to the hotel, over Charles Bridge with hoardes of people strolling by and the castle as a backdrop, was a real highlight.
The city is stunning with amazing architecture everywhere you turn your head, our camera worked overtime! The Czech people were so friendly, offering help and information and the man on reception at the Archibald always asked where we had spent the day and made suggestions for what else we should consider visiting.
On our last day we booked a taxi to the train station so that we could opt to get to the airport via train as a cost-saving exercise. The fantastic taxi driver's next booking was from the airport so he happily took us all the way, only charging as far as the train. That was an unexpectedly nice final touch to a great 3 day minibreak.
We would definitely plan another visit next time we make it over to Europe ....................

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Donna4321
petra050, Manager at Archibald At the Charles Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Dear Guests,
first of all I would like to thank you very much for your winter stay in Archibald hotel and for such a nice comments written through Tripadvisor.com to us - I am happy that you choose our hotel based on reviews from our guests and we are glad that we have met your expectations - this is always the best motivation for our next work.

Best regards to sunny Auckland,

Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed here about ten years ago and found this a great hotel - which is why I returned here when visiting Prague again. The patio garden bar area at the rear of the building now seems no longer there which is a pity, but has not detracted from the overall experience. Situated in a perfect location. Nice antique style rooms, much better than faceless mainstream hotels. Very pleasant helpful staff, and excellent comprehensive breakfast with convenient timings. Highly recommended - I'd be more than happy to stay again.

Dear Guests,
I would like to Thank you very much for your recent stay in our hotel and your positive feedback you shared with us. I really appreciate your recommendation and it´s a pleasure for me to read that you came back after ten years and you were satisfied with your choice, thanks a lot.

With sincerely regards from Prague,