“Perfect location and beautiful detailed hotel”
Review of Hotel U Prince

Hotel U Prince
Ranked #158 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Perfect location and beautiful detailed hotel”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

First visit to prague and surprise weekend break for my partners birthday. Superb location opposite the astronomical clock and old town. We were in room 34 which was gorgeous with plenty of space and like a spa bathroom. 2 cute little windows to open and watch the clock and see the christmas markets. We had dinner on the roof top at 7am which was truly amazing from the beautiful views to the food(very hot). I asked for the corner table in the open bit as i wanted to eat privately as it was a special birthday dinner. They gave us blankets and a patio heater which kept us warm. Good wine aswell with an excellent choice of good qualitly food.

My only down fall for the hotel is the cigarette smoke. You can smoke anywhere and its discusting. It stinks and spoils the atmosphere. Especially downstairs in the piano bar. However this is allowed in Prague and its everywhere so had to put up with it.

Staff are very nice and helpful. Breakfast was delicious but go early as it gets busy and they dont replenish the crossiants or nice yogurt dessert treats and cakes.

We loved this hotel but i guess it all depends on what room you get. We were lucky but some rooms are apparently small and have no view or on the top floor very noisy room53.

Room Tip: Room 34 24 or 44. Or upgrade to a suite
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cocktailCL
Michal M, Manager at Hotel U Prince, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear cocktailCL,

Thank you so much for your positive review that you wrote about your stay at Hotel U Prince.
I am pleased to know that you and your partner had a great time here and that you were satisfied with many aspects of your stay. Your feedback is a great motivation for us.
Thank you very much once again, and when you plan a return please do contact me at michal.marek@hoteluprince.com with any enquiries or requests.

I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Yours Sincerely,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Have been to Old Town several times on business and when it became grand again wanted to stay right there. This is the place to stay RIGHT THERE in Old Town Prague.
It is a relatively small and very old building directly across the street from the Astronomical Clock. It is very comfortable albeit small rooms. Great service and good breakfast.
If you want the Old Town feeling you can not beat this place. If you are on a budget or visiting for the first time you might try a more budget, less centrally located hotel.
All things considered this hotel is worth the price and located perfectly for seeing the rest of Prague
Mornings and nights make the difference. Old Town is at it's best then..

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rowland45
Michal M, Manager at Hotel U Prince, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Rowland45,

I would like to thank you for your kind feedback that you posted on our TripAdvisor page. We truly value your positive comments and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel U Prince.

I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Top experience - 12th century re-vamped hotel. Great helpful and friendly staff, brilliant location looking into Old Town Square. Great restaurants with good prices. Delightful atmosphere made possible by incredible decor and staff only too eager to please. ONLY place to stay! Atotal pleasure!

Room Tip: Get room overlooking Old Town Square
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Michal M, Manager at Hotel U Prince, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear drwho22,

I thank you for taking the time to leave such wonderful feedback on your recent visit to Hotel U Prince. I am very pleased to read that you have had a great stay with us recently, and that our team have provided you with helpful service throughout.

Thank you very much once again, and when you plan a return please do contact me at michael.marek@hoteluprince.com with any enquiries or requests.
London
Reviewed 27 November 2013

It is so refreshing to find such a beautiful, traditional hotel, which is not part of some faceless chain, or had the 'boutique hotel' treatment. The decor may be a bit brown to some, but it is authentic, grand and comfortable. The chandelier outside our room was magnificent, with the most beautiful lampshades- see pic.
Sadly the catering doesn't match the decor. Very disappointing breakfasts, and the restaurants offer mediocre tourist fare, with the emphasis on bland. The menu is unchanging, so there is only the same plastic menu choices daily. Puddings are heavily American influenced, great mounds of sickly sweet ice-cream concoctions, and there is no sign of any culinary flair. The much flouted cocktail menu again is all about sweet and sickly sweet, as opposed to sophisticated. Even the plastic coated menus were sticky! BUT the location up there on the roof is out of this world, and the staff friendly and smiling. So stick to the not bad wine list or the excellent beer, and enjoy watching the sun set over the Prague rooftops.
It will not be the most peaceful night's sleep you ever had, but that is to be expected in such a perfect, but busy position. Everything is walkable, and exploring the narrow cobbled streets is a joy, knowing the hotel can't be too far away.
One thing that we could have lived without was the bland , ambience-ruining and sugary-yes again!- pop music constantly playing in the communal areas. If silence is too scary!, why not something to complement the surroundings- some Dvorak, Smetana even Mozart etc etc? Also there is a wonderful mis-translation in the brochure that made us chuckle- 'Perception, and room service are available 24 hours a day"…Ah if only!

Room Tip: it appears that most of the rooms are different so if you are not sure ask if it's possible to...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Michal M, Manager at Hotel U Prince, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Jojojoy,
Thank you for your recent feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to hear that your recent stay at Hotel U Prince was very good and that you enjoyed your room, the view from our top roof restaurant Terrace and the décor of our hotel.
I am very concerned to read that the food variety did not live up to your expectations. I have noted your comments regarding your food and beverage experience and will be sure to share this with the Restaurant Manager and the Executive Chef.
If we only knew your experience with our cocktail menu while you were still in the hotel, we would certainly recommend you our Black Angel’s Bar located in the second basement of the Hotel U Prince which has been awarded among 10 best hotel bars in the world on Tales of the Cocktails in New Orleans, Louisiana, in July 2013. Our members of staff have a great experience with cocktail mixology and will be more than happy to create an individual cocktail according to your own preferences.
I do nevertheless hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 November 2013

It was a great experience to step out of your hotel into the ...Old Town Center. The clock and Old Town Hall were just steps away. We stayed at 1 of the hotel's apartments in the connecting building. The apartment was huge, could have slept at least 5 with a small kitchen, dining area and large sitting area. Being part of the hotel, we still had the amenities of the hotel, including the ample breakfast included in our stay. Everything was clean, orderly and the staff was helpful. Our only problem with the apartment was noise, being on the side street with a bar and people making noise until 4:00 am. Bring good ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. We also had Wi-Fi problems, which they attempted to fix, but still did not work from our apartment.
The great location, ease to walk from there or take the city trams really makes this a nice hotel to stay in Prague.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nemahbin
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I have stayed in an apartment that belongs to the hotel in a adjacent building. It was in third floor, with unique decoration, spacious and with great view to the astronomical clock and old town square.
Highly recommended for 2 or more people, which includes 2 fully equipped bedrooms, 1 living room, well equipped kitchen, bathroom and good heating. It's just steps away from Old town square and in the center of Prague depending attractions visiting.
Breakfast was served at the hotel restaurant, which was exceptional !!! Also, they gave me a voucher for a free sparkling wine drink complimentary..... Very polite staff, helpful and trying to serve every need.....
The only disadvantage is that it's on the third floor without an elevator.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms with a view.....
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The u prince hotel is located in the square in the old town. The interior decor is well done and very much in keeping with the location. The room was comfortable, spacious and succeeds in making you feel like a bohemian prince. The food in the restaurant is especially good and very reasonably priced. Room service was very prompt. Wifi is a bit hit and miss but that didn't bother me too much.

The staff were, on the whole, very friendly, courteous and helpful, particularly the restaurant staff and man on reception during the evening.

The very notable exception to this was the young woman with the white rimmed glasses and pudding bowl haircut who fronted the reception desk during the day and seems to view anyone that interrupts her staring blankly at the computer screen as a unacceptable annoyance. On the morning of my checking out I approached the desk and was, once again, ignored for quite some time. Eventually she acknowledged me and with her hardly saying a word I handed over the room key. I asked if I could get change for a 2000k note, a request that was inexplicably met by a rolling of the eyes and a groan. I asked if that was a problem, I didn't get an answer. I then managed to REALLY annoy her by asking if I could change the time for my taxi pick up which resulted in a loud and very abrupt "NO!". At this point I finally became equally irritable and snapped back "WHY NOT?" which startled her enough to go to the seemingly great effort of crossing out 6:30 and writing 7:00 on a piece of paper. I don't think either of these things were difficult or unreasonable requests, especially for a 5 star hotel. Usually you're asked how you enjoyed your stay when you check out of a hotel but I'm sure she really didn't care. On returning to the hotel to pick to pick up my bag she, without a single word, opened a door at the side of reception and lazily pointed in the direction of a room with my luggage and wandered off. Why would a hotel choose to have someone so lacking in people skills or even common courtesy front their business? I've seen a few comments on here about rude staff on reception and I would bet they're referring to this particular individual.

Often its small details that can make or break a guest experience. Whilst this one person didn't ruin my stay at an otherwise very good hotel, it did, unfortunately, sour the experience enough to make the difference between a 5 and 3 star rating (maybe 2 and a half).

I notice that the hotel manager reads the reviews here , hopefully he is responsive to feedback.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank rjk186338
Michal M, Manager at Hotel U Prince, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear rjk186338,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor.

First and foremost, I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your room, your food and mainly that you found majority of our employees helpful and friendly.

Please allow me to begin by expressing my regret at the inconvenience caused to you. It is certainly not indicate of the kind of service we aspire to provide at Hotel U Prince.

Please be assured that all the points you have raised have been dealt with accordingly, we are thankful for bringing these to our attention. I will personally make sure that such a behavior does not happen again. I hope we have the pleasure of your company again at Hotel U Prince and ensure you with best of our service.